hdbueg

how safe is it to travel to Morocco?

42 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline

I would be going to Casablanca. although he did say that he wanted to take me to a tourist location for a few days I don't remember the city. We met in May of this year and I would be going between mid September and mid November.

Unfortunately when I say anything about him to my parents they always say well go do you know what he is telling you is the truth. I have googled him and found him online belonging to a local soccer/football league. I have seen his passport and ID and I tell them this and they say how do you know they are not falsified documents. SO it does not matter what I say to them they think I am being played or much worse. How will I know until I go.

I don't feel comfortable leaving my kids with a stranger and they did say that they would be better if I did not travel alone.

I don't have any other family that is close besides my parents

What? Can you rephrase that part, I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

You will have known him for 4 months when you're planning on going there. What's the rush? My husband and I talked everyday for over a year before I went to see him. As a note, my husband never let me roam alone in his country, ever. And I would NOT recommend it.

How soon are you planning on getting married? How long are you planning on staying?

If your parents won't watch your kids, and you have no one else, do NOT bring your kids with you.

"A million years if I could live,
A thousand lives if I could give,
I would spend it all again with you,
Don't forget where you belong,
Only with me you are strong,
Not even the gods above can break,
Baby what we have"

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

my children are 9 and 15.

I have never met him before.

As far as them talking to him I am not sure what they will accomplish. I have skyped him and his family. Which I have mentioned that to them and them and their response is how do you know that actually is his family. There is no winning with them unless I just break it off with him.

Giving them information might help but I am not sure what to give them that would make them feel more comfortable. Because this is about them and me pissing them off not about me and possibility meeting the love of the my life.

I understand your parents, you have never met him so they can't really tell if it's someone who is trying to play you or not.

I am going to be honest, a lot of people in Morocco (like other poor countries) try to marry people from western countries to get out. I am not saying it's the case for you because I don't know your story but I know a lot of people ended up in this situation.

If he really is a soccer player, he should be financially able to travel to another country so as a compromise maybe you could meet him in another country. If he plays in a small team then he does not make enough, so what is his job the rest of the time?

This is a really personal matter, all I can tell you is that you should be careful cause you could be disappointed...

Timeline

I don't feel comfortable leaving my kids with a stranger

They did say that they would feel more comfortable if I were not to travel alone.

He has already skyped with my kids too.

If you can, go with a friend...

Hope all works out for you and don't rush to marry. Try to know him more..

Timeline

If you can, go with a friend...

Hope all works out for you and don't rush to marry. Try to know him more..

I echo this.

But the concept of them being more comfortable if you brought someone is slightly comical. If some real danger arises, what are they going to do? Save you? Additionally, they feel more comfortable with 2 people getting killed instead of one? Sorry, but it just doesn't make sense to me.

I think bringing a friend would be good for your own moral support if YOU don't feel comfortable going alone.

Baby what we have"

Timeline

I echo this.

But the concept of them being more comfortable if you brought someone is slightly comical. If some real danger arises, what are they going to do? Save you? Additionally, they feel more comfortable with 2 people getting killed instead of one? Sorry, but it just doesn't make sense to me.

I think bringing a friend would be good for your own moral support if YOU don't feel comfortable going alone.

true, going with a friend will help you feel more comfortable, not safe. Also if it's your first time out of the country it might be a good idea to have someone with you.

Long story short :

- will you be safe in Morocco? Yes, if you act safely and avoid bad areas (ask the embassy for advice).

- is it a good idea to go to a country you have never been to, to meet a person you never met before? Not the wisest idea. But as I said, I don't know your fiancé so I don't want to jump to conclusions.

Hope my advice helped you, good luck!

Timeline

true, going with a friend will help you feel more comfortable, not safe. Also if it's your first time out of the country it might be a good idea to have someone with you.

Long story short :

- will you be safe in Morocco? Yes, if you act safely and avoid bad areas (ask the embassy for advice).

- is it a good idea to go to a country you have never been to, to meet a person you never met before? Not the wisest idea. But as I said, I don't know your fiancé so I don't want to jump to conclusions.

Hope my advice helped you, good luck!

That's exactly why I suggested she get to know him for much longer. I trusted my husband with my life 110% before I went there.

Unless this person is for sure "the one" don't go all the way to a dangerous foreign country to meet them. Simple enough.

By the way, my mom did Skype with my husband (a couple times) and his family before I went there.

Baby what we have"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

my parents are dead set against this. Please tell me Morocco is a safe country. I Mother says that she has done hours of research on government websites and states that everything she has read says this is big no no.

They are dead set against watching my kids while I go. So the only option I have is to hire someone to watch or bring them with me.

I know she is worried but I am no fool and will take care or myself. She said yeah how can you do that when they have a gun pointed at your head.

Please someone help

Morocco is a big tourist location. Lots of foreigners travel there. I spent a summer there and took the bus and train from Casablanca, Rabat across to Oujda. I also rented a car and drove around. People are very friendly. You have nothing to worry about. However, if you haven't known him that long, take time to get to know him first. I talked to my now husband for a year before I went there. He was a primary school teacher. I felt pretty confident meeting him and he met me at the airport the first time we met, and we drove a rental car 10 hours across the country. Go with your gut feeling. I wouldn't recommend bringing your children the first time. You want to be comfortable by yourself. Do you have any siblings that could watch your children? My family had some suspicions before I went, which I felt in my heart were just not correct. They just didn't understand our relationship. Now they do :)

Edited by Golden Gate

event.png

K1 Visa
Event Date
Service Center : Texas Service Center
Consulate : Morocco
I-129F Sent : 2011-03-07
I-129F NOA2 : 2011-07-08
Interview Date : 2011-11-01
Interview Result : Approved
Visa Received : 2011-11-03
US Entry : 2012-02-28
Marriage : 2012-03-05
AOS sent: 05/16/2012
AOS received USCIS: 5/23/2012
EAD Delivered: 8/3/2012
AOS Interview: 08/20/2012.
Green Card Received: 08/27/2012

ROC Form Sent 07/17/2014

ROC NOA 07/24/2014
ROC Biometrics Appt. 8/21/2014
ROC RFE 10/2014 Evidence sent 1/4/2014

ROC Approval Letter received 1/13/2015

Timeline

This is my personal opinion. Been there as a tourist a few years back. We were told not to leave the hotel campus unless it was on an organised trip but even then we were hassled and harassed. I didn't feel safe even in a group of tourists. They seemed to thrive on using any tactics to extract money from you, legal or otherwise.

Now, before anyone starts to shout me down, I know this goes on in many countries not just Morocco... but as a male I was very nervous there... a lone female? gotta be concerned about that.

You say you "are no fool" but you need to research and then research some more about where you are going to stay and with whom.

The 30 Brits that were murdered on the beach in Tunisia probably thought they'd be safe too. Is anywhere 'safe' in the world today? Probably not but you have to minimize the risk by doing lots of research.

While I am sure there are people there (especially in Casablanca) who would like to get a buck or two from tourists and overcharge for things like taxis, I think this is quite similar to any poorer country, including Mexico.

For sure the OP should have confidence in whatever she decides to do, but I have to say I never had anything like the experience you had. Morocco is not Tunisia, and hasn't had that kind of instability.

I traveled by myself on the second trip to Morocco. I stayed in a small hotel in Casablanca, near the consulate, took the train to Rabat, met a person who helped me to process papers which I was going to use to get married there - this was someone who didn't ask me for a dime and spent the entire day helping me. I even accidentally dropped my wallet in a cafe and had to take a taxi back there after an hour of realizing I had lost it, and the restaurant had it there for me, everything was intact.

I found everyone I dealt with to be very congenial and straightforward. I do think the taxi driver in Casablanca ripped me off, but he was the only one. He drove the long way around to get a few blocks to the train station and didn't use his meter. Even my husband found that those in Casablanca tried to rip him off because they could see he was from the other side of the country. Just be smart with your dealings with people and show confidence in yourself.

Important things: dress appropriately and modestly, be smart, but don't be paranoid, and don't look like a sucker.

I have traveled to a lot of countries by myself since I was 19, and lived in various U.S. cities, and maybe I just don't have the same fear as others, but I have found that if you look like you know what you are doing, people can feel your vibe and act according. Also, Morocco isn't the Middle East. People need to remember that.

Edited by Golden Gate

event.png

K1 Visa
Event Date

ROC Form Sent 07/17/2014

ROC NOA 07/24/2014

Your parents are coming from a place of love for you and your children. You've only been talking to him for 2 months, and you're planning to spend 2 months with him. I would caution my children just as your parents are cautioning you.

That being said, I'm married to a Moroccan so I understand a bit about the country and the culture. Is it safe? That depends on where you go and who you're with. I've traveled all over Morocco for the past few years and have not had any issues. All over Morocco with one exception, and that's Casablanca. My husband does not want me in Casablanca because he says it is not safe for me there. Marrakesh is sketchy as well.

I think the bigger question is why you feel compelled to leave your children for such a long period of time to go somewhere your family is not comfortable with to meet a man that you've just started talking to.

I'm not trying to be cruel, but it doesn't sound like you're really thinking this through. Morocco is a high fraud country and many men there spend their days and nights in cyber cafes wooing their overseas beloveds in search of the mighty Green Card.

My advice would be to give this some more time before traveling there. Research the people and the culture, both positive and negative.

Edit to add: there have been several busts of small terrorist cells there recently, so although they have not yet suffered an attack, the intent is nearby.

Edited by 2far

Timeline

My impression is that you should spend more time getting to know him. It takes time to get through all the misconceptions that people can have of things. For example, my husband in the first months thought we could apply for a tourist visa and he could come to see what it is like here, which really was an unlikely scenario. There are just a lot of things that are unknown, and through time, you will discover and have a better grasp of the situation as it really is. You shouldn't appear too eager to go there so quickly, then you can truly understand the intentions of this new person you have met. I don't know how old you are or anything and don't wish to sound preachy, but each of you will have notions which only time will dispel.

event.png

K1 Visa
Event Date

ROC Form Sent 07/17/2014

ROC NOA 07/24/2014

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.