begood

Very tired , no job yet!

54 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I have BA in social work from my country , Associate degree in Business, and BA degree in foreign language , i have more than 1 year working in social , and a lot of internships in the same field ,

CA is a licensed state for social work, i agree with volunteering and networking through the agency for a job.

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Filed: Timeline

i live in San Marcos California, I apply for jobs over internet every day , i feel mad from not being capable to find the job that i deserve, i look for jobs in social, i didn't attends some interviews because the potential jobs don't pay what i expect or the job location need 2 buses or something like that and i'm new driver , , i now admit that i can work something totally different than what i know, i have no idea on how people they find the first job, and if they like the first job or they just accept it to go out !

Start doing it the old fashion way even twice wkly ,walk in interview, take a reasonable decent job for starters

maybe not what you do or want but it will provide you a bit of history...Get out look into volunteering one day a

week, once you get your foot in the door opportunities can open up..

try a call center close to you, it will introduce you to working in the US

If you are afraid to speak up or be assertive because your accent differs watch TV when home practice toning down yours if its thick

visit your local library & try some net-working events...mingle with your ear to the ground it will work out.

Never feel better than even trying your local supermarket for work until better comes,,,best wishes

Even moving from state to state can be a bit challenging at times to get a job...my experience is FL, GA & MA was sooo hard but

TX, NY CT is welcoming if one really wants a job...AIL was the worst like the did not trust ppl moving in from out of state,

so in PowderSprings there was nothing, moving to Lawrenceville was better but the ATL was not my cup of tea

Edited by Jawaree

Congratulations to you i wish if i could have your courage to accept any job, You are right, if i want a job i have to be patient,

You must be 10 years younger than I. Don't be afraid of work, any work if that is what you want to do here. I didn't come to the US to stay home, so I didn't care what I worked (ok, I drew the line at janitor and professional butt wiper, but still).

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

I'm glad that a search yielded this valuable post:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/466619-what-are-you-doing/?p=6661035

Read that and the post two down from it.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Libya
Timeline

San Marcos is very far from the hub of jobs which are more so in San Diego, so it isn't surprising that you have to drive far. That is the reality of living in San Marcos - sorry. You can either move into San Diego or you can commute.

And of course there are way more jobs available in LA than in San Diego.

While you're looking for a job, you can volunteer if you're bored. So many opportunities. Check out WorldBeat Center in Balboa Park.

I used to live in San Diego for many years so I have an idea about it. Also - you might consider getting your LCSW from USA.

19-Sept-14: I-129F Delivered

23-Sept-14: NOA1 (I-797C ~ Texas Lockbox accepted I-129F)

24-Sept-14: NOA1 (E-mail & Text)

Sent to California Service Center

3-Nov-14: Requested expedite by mailed letter with UN Human Rights Reports (Humanitarian Situation)

14-Nov-14: NOA2 (I-129F Petition Approved ~ E-mail & Text)

1-Dec-14: NVC Received Case

2-Dec-14: NVC Case Number Assigned

9-Dec-14: Embassy Received

3-Feb-15: "Package 3" Received/Turned In

25-Feb-15: "Package 4" - Received Interview Date

19-Mar-15: Interview ~ Approved

27-Mar-15: Visa Issued

• 1 month later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

HI

I dont know where in San Marcos you are....but there are PLENTY of jobs advertised on CL in North County and the Sprinter offers great public transportation From San Marcos cutting through North County to the Oceanside Train Staion where one can transfer to the Coaster and disembark anywhere along the coast. It ends up in Down Town San Diego...... There is no excuse for not having a car or being a new driver.

I understand the struggles you are going through. My husband went through the same. After searching for a year... He finally landed a landscaper position, which became a great starting point. It was extremely hard physical work but he was grateful the company that gave him his first oppurtunity. Through that job he eventually earned health ins, a pay raise, was able to purchase his first car, establish credit...etc. and that all came from the hard dirty work of cleaning up refuse/digging dirt, clearing hillsides, hauling heavy items in the hot san diego sun and dragging his tired body each morning at 6 am to a job that he was overqualified for. Over qualified but very humbled to finally be closer to an independant man.

OP there are restaurants, warehouses, big businesses, small businesses, hotels etc... on CL all advertising for employees. If you cant capture their interests with your contact...maybe get your S.O. to help you write your resume/email. I made the contact for my husband for the first job and his current dream job. :thumbs:

Do you go to Mosque? Maybe ask fellow brothers there if they might know of something.

Just getting something as a stepping stone should be your goal right now....then see what is your future here in the U.S.

event.png

event.png

• 2 weeks later...

I came here to the US to be with the love of my life and hopefully land on a job as i don't want to be sitting at home all through out my life. I have a masters degree from my home country and worked in the academe for years. I have to lower my expectations and have to get out of my comfort zone just to find work. I ended up working as a cashier at kmart store while continuing to float my resume online. I am working at kmart for almost a month and now i just accepted a job offer from one of the biggest bank here in the US as an operations clerk. Working on a bank is still something that I have never done and never thought of doing but I am willing to start a new career path just to stay active and working. I don't drive yet and willing to commute but luckily I have a supporting husband who is willing to work out his schedule just to drop me off and pick me up from work.

There's no harm in starting at the very bottom until you find your dream job. Just don't stop trying. I know it's hard to work on something that has nothing to do with your education or professional background but it can be a stepping stone for a better job.

Good luck to your job quest.

I am a mechanical engineer with 10 years of experience , worked for a fortune 500 company at my home country. I moved to the usa almost 2 months ago and been applying for jobs online. I was called for interviews at a couple of places. Both interviews went well and they were impressed. But no call from them for over a month now. Almost getting frustrated with no work . Even small time jobs that I apply dont respond. . .. what can I do.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.