Cappedoff

Which state for finance and accounting jobs?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Hello,

Which states should we be looking at for a fair chance at finance and accounting jobs? And I also like to ask if one starts from the bottom at bookkeeping or something ... how possible is working up the ladder?

Edited by Cappedoff

::: Timeline for N-600 & CR-1/ IR-1 :::

Note: This is for USC living abroad

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Found each other May 2003

Engaged June 2005

Married Sept 2006

Child 1 born Sept 2008

Child 2 born Nov 2009

Child 3 born Mar 2012

• Service Center : Embassy & Chicago Lockbox
  • Consulate : Algiers, Algeria

CRBA

• N-600 Sent :

I-130

• I-130 Sent :
  • I-130 NOA1 :
  • I-130 Approved :
  • ..... to be continued

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Depends on your experience and what you're looking for. I'm in accounting and can tell you the national unemployment rate for accountants is extremely low (around 1%) so the market overall is very good.

If your background is in banking, then go to NYC or Charlotte. If your background is in manufacturing, then go to an area heavy in manufacturing.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Libya
Timeline

But NYC is very expensive so make sure you can afford it before depending on getting a job here.

19-Sept-14: I-129F Delivered

23-Sept-14: NOA1 (I-797C ~ Texas Lockbox accepted I-129F)

24-Sept-14: NOA1 (E-mail & Text)

Sent to California Service Center

3-Nov-14: Requested expedite by mailed letter with UN Human Rights Reports (Humanitarian Situation)

14-Nov-14: NOA2 (I-129F Petition Approved ~ E-mail & Text)

1-Dec-14: NVC Received Case

2-Dec-14: NVC Case Number Assigned

9-Dec-14: Embassy Received

3-Feb-15: "Package 3" Received/Turned In

25-Feb-15: "Package 4" - Received Interview Date

19-Mar-15: Interview ~ Approved

27-Mar-15: Visa Issued

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Depends on your experience and what you're looking for. I'm in accounting and can tell you the national unemployment rate for accountants is extremely low (around 1%) so the market overall is very good.

If your background is in banking, then go to NYC or Charlotte. If your background is in manufacturing, then go to an area heavy in manufacturing.

I'm actually asking for my husband. He has degrees in accounting and finance. He's working (in his home country) as Finance Manager for an American market research company. We asked about a transfer ... and we basically got a "apply and see" answer. He has over 12 years experience in the field and 7 years at this company. He's qualified in SAP, hyperion and some other programs. I'll have to ask him specifically.

We're wondering if he's degrees and experience is even worth anything in the US? He can do the job inside and outside ... just question of getting foot in the door. But everyone has this same problem grrr

what we are looking for ... not sure. We're expecting to have to start from the bottom ... but he's hopefully to work up the ladder.He's willing to work in accounting like accounts payable etc but in the long run wants to work in finance. Any and all information would be appreciated. We're looking at Cali, Texas and Georgia as we know people there ... but job-wise really clueless :P

But NYC is very expensive so make sure you can afford it before depending on getting a job here.

Not really keen on NY for that reason.

Edited by Cappedoff

::: Timeline for N-600 & CR-1/ IR-1 :::

Note: This is for USC living abroad

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Found each other May 2003

Engaged June 2005

Married Sept 2006

Child 1 born Sept 2008

Child 2 born Nov 2009

Child 3 born Mar 2012

• Service Center : Embassy & Chicago Lockbox
  • Consulate : Algiers, Algeria

CRBA

• N-600 Sent :

I-130

• I-130 Sent :
  • I-130 NOA1 :
  • I-130 Approved :
  • ..... to be continued

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Cali is expensive as well. I would go with Texas or Georgia.

Start doing searches now to see what jobs are available. I would recommend using Indeed.com and entering different cities, etc., to see what comes up.

• 1 month later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

If he has experience in IFRS - International Financial Reporting Standards he should be able to get a decent job. Just do a job search and see the types of accounting jobs in demand. Then match it with his experience and you have that as a starting point for job hunting.

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.