girlygirl420

US Petitioner living overseas - Several Questions. Please help!

5 posts in this topic

I've already sent the I-129F. I live in South Korea and have been working for 3 years here (making over the 125% poverty level).

1.) On the I-129f, I wrote my Korean address on the form (since it says "mailing address), but I attached a supplementary form indicating my US address, as well as a copy of my driver's license.

I've read that the NOA can only be sent to a US address. Is this true? Will they rescind my petition bc my mailing address is not in the US, despite providing one on a supplementary page? Will they send it to me in Korea?

2.) Since I've been working in Korea/overseas, I have been able to claim the foreign earned income exclusion. Considering my AGI on my tax returns are at $0 bc of this, we have a cosponsor.

Is there a point of showing my W-2 equivalent forms at my overseas place of employment if this is the case? Does my income really have nothing to show for this whole process? What about my foreign fiancee's job?

3.) Should I move to America before my fiance does his interview? or will it not matter since I have a cosponsor?

There's a lot of conflicting information on this site. I initially just went in and applied for the K-1 visa bc i've read others have done it too, but I've also read that the US petitioner must be domiciled in the states as well. I mean... I do have an unexpired driver's license, but I'm guessing i need to get a job?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I (USC) lived in Canada when we did the K1. I put my Canadian address as my mailing address and they sent everything there. It just took longer to receive them. Not sure what they will do since you put that supplementary page?

Any foreign income from either of you doesn't count. We had a co-sponsor, but I am a stay at home mom, so they did ask what he does for a living and how we were going to support ourselves in the US. My fiance brought his Canadian paystubs and our bank statements, but they didn't ask for it.

You do not have to move in America. If they ask, you can prove "intent to reestablish domicile," which would mean showing them a lease of where you're going to live, job offer, moving plans, plane tickets, driver's license, etc. They asked where we were going to live at my fiance's interview, but did not ask for any actual proof. I say bring it, so you have it. Better to have more than less.

K1 Vancouver

AOS

4/4/15- AOS/EAD/AP sent

4/6/15- Package received

4/9/15- NOA1- text/email

4/13/15- NOA1 hard copy EAD/AP (NOA1 dated 4/7)

4/14/15- NOA1 hard copy AOS (NOA1 dated 4/7)

4/17/15- Biometrics Letter received

4/29/15- Biometrics completed

6/23/15 (Day 77)- Service request

7/2/15 (Day 86)- Service request complete, email of approval of EAD (approved on June 30)

12/29/15- Interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I have a friend who completed the entire K-1 visa application/process while staying in Vietnam. On his I-129F, he gave his Vietnam address for contacts - no problems at all.

2019 09 30 : Filed N-400 Online

2019 10 23 : Biometrics Completed

2021 03 22 : Citizenship Interview PASSED; Oath + Certificate Issued

=========

2018 03 08 : ROC Package Recv'd/Signed

2018 03 19 : NOA Recv'd

2019 06 21 : Biometrics Completed

2019 09 13 : Card in Production (No Interview)

2019 09 20 : Recv'd 10-Yr Green Card by Mail

=========

2015 11 06 : AOS Package Recv'd/Signed

2015 11 16 : NOA's (3x) Recv'd by Mail

2015 12 04 : Biometrics Completed

2016 01 25 : EAD & AP Approved (No RFE's)

2016 03 09 : Interview Scheduled (No RFE's)

2016 03 16 : AOS Interview - APPROVED

2016 03 24 : Received Green Card by Mail

=========

2015 02 07 : I-129F Mailed

2015 05 13 : I-129F Approved (No RFE's)

2015 08 18 : K-1 Interview (Visa Approved)

2015 08 29 : Arrived U.S.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Also questions 2 and 3 will depend on your embassy. Check the embassy reviews and your regional forum on here to see if you would have to do anything out of the ordinary... Good luck!

K1 Vancouver

AOS

4/4/15- AOS/EAD/AP sent

4/6/15- Package received

4/9/15- NOA1- text/email

4/13/15- NOA1 hard copy EAD/AP (NOA1 dated 4/7)

4/14/15- NOA1 hard copy AOS (NOA1 dated 4/7)

4/17/15- Biometrics Letter received

4/29/15- Biometrics completed

6/23/15 (Day 77)- Service request

7/2/15 (Day 86)- Service request complete, email of approval of EAD (approved on June 30)

12/29/15- Interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.