4 the luv of Masr

Affidavit of Support - Income/Child Support

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I have a question regarding the AOS. My AGI last year was $26,821 and I also receive $7488/year in child support putting me at a little over $34,000 for the year; I have 2 children so with me and my husband that makes our household size: 4. From my understanding the income requirement is either $30/31,000. Will my child support be counted as income? Is my income close enough to the cut-off that I should line up a co-sponsor just in case? Should I get a co-sponsor right from the start so that I don't get anything from the NVC requiring me to have a co-sponsor? Trying to be pro-active so I don't get a checklist extending the wait of our visa even longer :( I'd rather not have a co-sponsor but with the info I've given does anyone recommend it? Thoughts.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I get a large amount of child support also. I used it on my AOS. At first the embassy said that my AOS was fine and I could sponsor my husband. Then they sent me another email saying I needed a co-sponsor that they wouldn't accept the child support. They sent an additional email saying that my AOS was good then finally emailed again to say they wouldn't accept the child support. They sent a long email to my congressman about this. I had to get a co-sponsor and thank God my nephew was willing to do it for us.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Thank you for your reply; I've been told that I could use the child support but I suspected that they wouldn't consider it "guaranteed income" even though my ex is a physician and I've never had problems getting it; it's better to be safe than sorry.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi,

Child support is money that belongs to the children even though it's paid to the parent. The parent has a legal duty to use the children's money for the children's benefit only. The money is not considered income to the parent, that's why the parent does not report it as income on his/her tax return. The money does not belong to the parent, and that is why the parent is not allowed to use it to meet the income requirement.

Best of luck

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.