wagner17

South Korean "Divorce Decree"

5 posts in this topic

For my K-1 petition, as proof of marriage termination I provided the Marriage Relation Certificate (혼인관계 증명서) for my South Korean fiancee. However, I received an RFE asking for a final divorce decree signed by a judge. From what I understand divorce decrees do not exist in South Korea and the Marriage Relation Certificate should have been sufficient (see http://seoul.usembassy.gov/acs_divorce.html). Does anybody have any experience with what needs to be provided to USCIS as proof of marriage termination for South Korea for divorce prior to 2008?

Thank you.

Edited by wagner17

• 1 year later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline
On 7/27/2015 at 3:46 AM, wagner17 said:

For my K-1 petition, as proof of marriage termination I provided the Marriage Relation Certificate (혼인관계 증명서) for my South Korean fiancee. However, I received an RFE asking for a final divorce decree signed by a judge. From what I understand divorce decrees do not exist in South Korea and the Marriage Relation Certificate should have been sufficient (see http://seoul.usembassy.gov/acs_divorce.html). Does anybody have any experience with what needs to be provided to USCIS as proof of marriage termination for South Korea for divorce prior to 2008?

Thank you.

Did you hear back about anything about this?  What was your solution?  

My wife went to 이혼한 법원 and got a copy of the 확인서 협의 이혼의사확인신청 (certificate of confirmation - mutually agreed divorced petition) which was signed with the judge's signature stamp.  We also included a letter explaining the divorce process in South Korea at the time since the certificate of confirmation is not a final divorce decree.  My guess is that USCIS just wanted to see something issued by a court as proof of marriage termination.

• 1 year later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.