48 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Because he only got his green card in 2010. Right after he got married he got into trouble before he went for his interview. So after everything got cleared up 15 years later he got his 10 year greencard and filed citizenship 3 years later.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

You did nothing wrong, and as long as you don't lie to USCIS, you should be fine in terms of legalities- but that doesn't mean you will get approved.

Your husband may be a different story- his timeline (esp applying for citizenship under the three year rule, when he was having an affair with you and got divorced only 6 months later, and then married you right away) is a huge red flag and they may be investigating if he should have gotten citizenship in the first place.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

A baby doesn't make a marriage bonifide. A baby simply means that you know how to have sex. I as well would expect a second interview.

A baby does provide proof of a relationship, I think they are more concerned about that, as someone committing fraud isn't going to be having a baby with someone. Marriage is becoming a more lose term everyday so it would be hard to prove someone isn't married or is.

OP I think you should be fine, I was worried about my application because of similar reasons and we didn't even have an interview. In the end though it will always depend on who is looking over your files. Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

A baby does provide proof of a relationship, I think they are more concerned about that, as someone committing fraud isn't going to be having a baby with someone. Marriage is becoming a more lose term everyday so it would be hard to prove someone isn't married or is.

OP I think you should be fine, I was worried about my application because of similar reasons and we didn't even have an interview. In the end though it will always depend on who is looking over your files. Good luck!

No it seriously don't prove anything other than two people having sex. I know a couple who had 3 kids and still the wife was not granted a GC.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Wait....What?? Marriage is a loose term? I don't think immigration takes that term loosely.... since his immigration depended on it. He didn't have a baby with his first wife (the questionably fraudulent marriage). He had a baby with his gf from JA during his marriage to the USC. So yes this baby definitely proves he was having a relationship outside of his marriage. I would think that would raise several concerns with her GC and question the validity of his citizenship.

Edited by LionessDeon

Timeline

The officer wasnt worried abt us not being bonified married. She was mostly concerned abt his past life....wrote down many dates like when did u marry ur X, when did u divorce, when did u become a permanent resident, when did u file citizenship, when did u remarry, when was ur son born, did ur wife know abt ur son, when did he start living with me. She wasn't worried at all abt our relationship and said that the birth certificate and proof of address is all she needed.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

The officer wasnt worried abt us not being bonified married. She was mostly concerned abt his past life....wrote down many dates like when did u marry ur X, when did u divorce, when did u become a permanent resident, when did u file citizenship, when did u remarry, when was ur son born, did ur wife know abt ur son, when did he start living with me. She wasn't worried at all abt our relationship and said that the birth certificate and proof of address is all she needed.

She may have questions about if he really qualified for citizenship due to a possible lack of good moral character. As others have said it's more him that should be concerned, not you.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Exactly...just as Penquin stated.....thus the possiblity of questioning the validity of his citizenship.

Edited by LionessDeon

Timeline

I understand but hopefully after they do their investigation they'll realize that we didn't get bk 2 get her until after his citizenship. He didn't deny having his baby when he went for his citizenship interview and he wasnt questioned abt his affair. So I am just praying that all goes well.

Timeline

He didn't have any kids with his wife because she couldn't have kids he has another daughter who is 8 and along with my son who is almost 3....so he got both kids within the marriage.

Timeline

I know cheating is wrong and however all the man wanted to to have kids of his own and raise them under the same roof and that is what we are doing now. She has 1 son from a different relationship and that son is almost 30 years of age and he helped her raise that child since he was 2 years old.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Let's return to the OP's topic, folks.

VJ Moderation

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

He didn't have any kids with his wife because she couldn't have kids he has another daughter who is 8 and along with my son who is almost 3....so he got both kids within the marriage.

So you have been here three years, illegally waiting on him to obtain citizenship so you can get GC, and now you are worried you will get deported if denied.

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.