signalsfly

Health Insurance - K1

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi,

I'm entering the US on a K1 visa on August 1st and I'm a little confused on how health insurance will work once we're married. I understand that travel insurance won't cover me and so we would be getting temporary insurance for before the wedding.

Since my fiance is still (and will be till he's 25) on his parents plan I would need to be on my own separate health insurance plan. Is this something I can do before I've got my green card? Or is there a way I can sort out a plan during AOS? Or should I be looking into just getting the temporary insurance until I've got my green card?

Thank you so much for any help!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

You can get travel insurance for your trip to the USA and I believe after that. However once you marry, I am not sure. Usually you go on your spouse employers insurance

Timeline

You can get travel insurance for your trip to the USA and I believe after that. However once you marry, I am not sure. Usually you go on your spouse employers insurance

Problem is, we're moving to a new state from the one my fiance is from and so he isn't currently employed (we've savings to keep us going a while so his looking for a job before we move hasn't been necessary). But he's also not finished his degree yet after taking time off school and so any work he would be getting typically won't have much for insurance.

Most of the threads I've read are people joining their spouses plans which isn't what our situation would involve, hence my confusion on what route we need to take.

Hi,

I'm entering the US on a K1 visa on August 1st and I'm a little confused on how health insurance will work once we're married. I understand that travel insurance won't cover me and so we would be getting temporary insurance for before the wedding.

Since my fiance is still (and will be till he's 25) on his parents plan I would need to be on my own separate health insurance plan. Is this something I can do before I've got my green card? Or is there a way I can sort out a plan during AOS? Or should I be looking into just getting the temporary insurance until I've got my green card?

Thank you so much for any help!

Hi there,

You will be residing in South Dakota, yes? By federal law, all those living in the USA must obtain health insurance or pay a penalty. Your fiancé, being on your in-law's health insurance is eligible to remain on that insurance until age 26 (under the new laws). When the ACA (Obamacare) law was adopted, this created the federal exchange. Individual states were eligible to create their own exchanges or direct residents to use the federal program. South Dakota, however wanted nothing to do with the law, and so they and a few other states sued the federal government, the law of which was upheld by the supreme court. In light of that, South Dakota still has no exchange. That means your options, if you want to obtain health insurance, are as follows:

Research private plans online and purchase one that best fits your needs.

Or

Head on over to the federal exchange, search and compare plans, and buy one there.

Immigrants are certainly eligible to use the program. See the link in my signature for information you will need to provide and how you are eligible. Open enrollment is closed, however since you will be newly married and also newly immigrated, you qualify under a special enrollment for a life changing event. You are free to purchase insurance whenever, but you may find doing so slightly less of a haggle if you do so while you are AOSing. Make sure you read the instructions about what evidence to provide carefully. You can also give them a call to clarify.

If you are moving to a state that has a state-run exchange, you'll have to explore your options through that. You will still be just as eligible, but be aware sometimes state-run employees haven't a single clue regarding immigrant status and it may take more than a few attempts at finding a competent person able to help. The law is very clear, but people are not. ;)

Once your fiancé/spouse is off of their parent's plan, it would be no different for them if they need health insurance. They will either have to pay the penalty, obtain a job that offers insurance, or buy it from the exchange. Once you or your fiancé has a job, they can be covered through the employer's insurance if offered (which is a whole other ball of wax as they say, with people who may or may not understand what the law says).

Be aware that there is considerable sticker shock either way. You can choose a low cost plan with a high deductible or a higher cost plan with a low deductible.

Weigh the pros and cons, and take some time to sort through all the info. For instance I hold a private plan that costs a little over $300 a month for just myself. My deductible is middle of the road but still pretty pricey. My co-pay costs for doctor's visits are manageable, and I don't require constant prescriptions. I can choose to add my fiancé/spouse to that plan once we are married, but as you can imagine that $300 will go up significantly.

By the way, your insurance if you decide to purchase it, is your insurance. You don't have to move off of it if you don't want to. You obtaining a GC has no bearing to make it more official, so long as you're here legally and you have the means to continue to pay for it. If neither of you choose to obtain health insurance, that is also perfectly legal.. but there will be the issue of the penalty of which has it's own cost. https://www.healthcare.gov/fees-exemptions/fee-for-not-being-covered/ There is also the risk of having nothing to fall back on, should an injury or illness happen.

Hope it helps.

Edited by yuna628

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K1 Process to Moving to the US and Your New Life in America Forum~

~Similar topics are often discussed at this forum~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Great explanation indeed. The period of the AOS (which is getting longer I am told)...:-( is a neverland for the beneficiary. Getting your financial affairs in order is an headache!! Applying for a mortgage, loan, Driver License is a pain in the neck!

Timeline

Hi there,

You will be residing in South Dakota, yes? By federal law, all those living in the USA must obtain health insurance or pay a penalty. Your fiancé, being on your in-law's health insurance is eligible to remain on that insurance until age 26 (under the new laws). When the ACA (Obamacare) law was adopted, this created the federal exchange. Individual states were eligible to create their own exchanges or direct residents to use the federal program. South Dakota, however wanted nothing to do with the law, and so they and a few other states sued the federal government, the law of which was upheld by the supreme court. In light of that, South Dakota still has no exchange. That means your options, if you want to obtain health insurance, are as follows:

Research private plans online and purchase one that best fits your needs.

Or

Head on over to the federal exchange, search and compare plans, and buy one there.

Immigrants are certainly eligible to use the program. See the link in my signature for information you will need to provide and how you are eligible. Open enrollment is closed, however since you will be newly married and also newly immigrated, you qualify under a special enrollment for a life changing event. You are free to purchase insurance whenever, but you may find doing so slightly less of a haggle if you do so while you are AOSing. Make sure you read the instructions about what evidence to provide carefully. You can also give them a call to clarify.

If you are moving to a state that has a state-run exchange, you'll have to explore your options through that. You will still be just as eligible, but be aware sometimes state-run employees haven't a single clue regarding immigrant status and it may take more than a few attempts at finding a competent person able to help. The law is very clear, but people are not. ;)

Once your fiancé/spouse is off of their parent's plan, it would be no different for them if they need health insurance. They will either have to pay the penalty, obtain a job that offers insurance, or buy it from the exchange. Once you or your fiancé has a job, they can be covered through the employer's insurance if offered (which is a whole other ball of wax as they say, with people who may or may not understand what the law says).

Be aware that there is considerable sticker shock either way. You can choose a low cost plan with a high deductible or a higher cost plan with a low deductible.

Weigh the pros and cons, and take some time to sort through all the info. For instance I hold a private plan that costs a little over $300 a month for just myself. My deductible is middle of the road but still pretty pricey. My co-pay costs for doctor's visits are manageable, and I don't require constant prescriptions. I can choose to add my fiancé/spouse to that plan once we are married, but as you can imagine that $300 will go up significantly.

By the way, your insurance if you decide to purchase it, is your insurance. You don't have to move off of it if you don't want to. You obtaining a GC has no bearing to make it more official, so long as you're here legally and you have the means to continue to pay for it. If neither of you choose to obtain health insurance, that is also perfectly legal.. but there will be the issue of the penalty of which has it's own cost. https://www.healthcare.gov/fees-exemptions/fee-for-not-being-covered/ There is also the risk of having nothing to fall back on, should an injury or illness happen.

Hope it helps.

Thank you so much!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.