maherehab

Financial aid for new immigrant and requriments for college ?

2 posts in this topic

Good morning guys

Nearly i will emigrate to New york city , now i`m in accounting college in egypt and i want to transfer to any college in new york state and studing accounting . I have an american friend he said to me that i can`t take financial aid for college exept i live in america for 12 months , after this period i will have right to get financial aid . Is this true ? , this is the first question . The second question i know that every college ask about requriment diffrent from the other one , but i want about the general requirment that the college must ask about it like " Average TOEFL score , my last certificates , courses and classes .. etc " . thank you very much in advance :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cameroon
Timeline

Good morning guys

Nearly i will emigrate to New york city , now i`m in accounting college in egypt and i want to transfer to any college in new york state and studing accounting . I have an american friend he said to me that i can`t take financial aid for college exept i live in america for 12 months , after this period i will have right to get financial aid . Is this true ? , this is the first question . The second question i know that every college ask about requriment diffrent from the other one , but i want about the general requirment that the college must ask about it like " Average TOEFL score , my last certificates , courses and classes .. etc " . thank you very much in advance :)

To get FEDERAL financial aid (student loan, grants etc) you need to be a legal permanent resident with your green card in hand. The individual school may have state or school specific financial aid that you may be eligible for- you would need to contact the specific school you are interested in to find out. Many public schools have cheaper tuition rates for "in-state residents" and that often takes 12 months to establish residency in the state- but that is different than financial aid- it's like discounted tuition costs.

School requirements are specific to the school- but they commonly ask for TOEFL scores, your transcript that's been translated into english and courses verified and maybe even your secondary school transcript. Again you'd need to verify the requirements with the school you want to apply to.

Good luck!

K-1

January 27, 2014 - Submitted I-129F

January 31, 2014 - NOA1

August 3, 2014- E service request submitted

August 15, 2014- E service request received back saying our case is in a processing hold due to "pending security checks"

September 3, 2014 - NOA2

September 5, 2014 - Case shipped to NVC

September 8, 2014 - NOA2 Hardcopy received

September 17, 2014- Case # assigned by NVC

September 19, 2014- Case shipped to Consulate from NVC

October 1, 2014 - Case status "Ready"

October 3, 2014 - Packet 3 received- K1 Instructions

October 15, 2014 - Packet 4 received- Appointment letter

November 4, 2014 - Interview- APPROVED!!!

November 13, 2014 - Visa in hand

November 25, 2014- POE in Washington, DC

December 18, 2014- Marriage at Courthouse

AOS

January 8, 2015- AOS NOA1

January 28, 2015- Biometrics appointment

March 4, 2015- EAD card in production

March 16, 2015- EAD card in hand

May 2015- Notice of Interview Waiver and case processing delay

September 10, 2015- RFE- lost packet given at POE! Have to redo the medical :/

October 28, 2015- Approval of AOS and card in production- online case status updated

November 2, 2015- Green card in hand!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.