coke&fanta

South Africa Consulate - Medical/Interview Questions

12 posts in this topic

A few questions! Any advice is helpful – but particularly those working with the US Consulate in Johannesburg/South Africa.

1) I read recently on here that you have to do the medical on two consecutive days. Do they automatically fit this into the schedule for this particular Doctor? Assuming they do a lot of these immigration medical interviews? Also, is it easy to get the appointments if you call as soon as you have the visa interview date?

2) Also heard about medical that it has to be done two weeks before the visa interview. Is this still true? We will be traveling down from Botswana and this means two separate trips… just want to prepare ourselves and our budget.

3) I know the consulate says it takes 3-5 working days to process the visa. Has this been accurate for people? Again, asking because we will have to wait in South Africa and pick it up (can’t cross back into Botswana without it – unless there is some permit I don’t know about but my fiancé does that he could get). Wondering if they process it any faster than that – or maybe for those not from South Africa?

4) Lastly, we have a possible challenge with timing… I am currently in Botswana and scheduled to leave in mid-October. We are still waiting on his birth certificate from the national registration office. It should take 4-5 more weeks. If it takes longer, we run into timing – I would have to leave before we can get the interview in. How terrible of an idea is it to submit the DS-2100 before we have the birth certificate, if we are confident it can come in time for the actual interview? Has anyone one this before? I would hate to risk not having it and have to re-schedule.

Thanks for any and all input! This forum has been a godsend!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mauritius
Timeline

Hello,

Unfortunately I don't have have the answers you are looking for but i have some of the same questions. My fiancee has to travel to South Africa for the interview from Mauritius. We are really hoping it can all be done in one trip.

What point of the process are you at currently?

9/01/13- Met online 7/10/15- NVC case # assigned **22 days from NOA2**

11/9/13- Met 1st time in person (L) 7/27/15- Case left NVC to South Africa!!!

2/01/14- Met 2nd time in person (L) 7/28/15- Case "ready"

9/01/14- Met 3rd time in person (L) 7/31/15- Consulate received

5/11/15- Mailed I-129F 8/4/15- Packet 3 received by email

5/19/15- NOA1--- Got routed to CSC!!! :dancing: 8/7/15- Sent Packet 3

5/22/15- File "touched" 8/7/15- Packet 4 received by email!

5/27/15- Our baby was born (L) 9/7- 9/8- Medical

6/18/15- NOA2!!!! Email notification at 21:30 Central Time **30 days from NOA1** 9/17/15- Interview!!! APPROVED :luv:

9/28/15- Visa in hand

9/29/15- US Entry---- Finally!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Country-specific thread moved from K-1 Process forum to the Africa/Sub-Saharan regional forum. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

A few questions! Any advice is helpful – but particularly those working with the US Consulate in Johannesburg/South Africa.

1) I read recently on here that you have to do the medical on two consecutive days. Do they automatically fit this into the schedule for this particular Doctor? Assuming they do a lot of these immigration medical interviews? Also, is it easy to get the appointments if you call as soon as you have the visa interview date?

2) Also heard about medical that it has to be done two weeks before the visa interview. Is this still true? We will be traveling down from Botswana and this means two separate trips… just want to prepare ourselves and our budget.

3) I know the consulate says it takes 3-5 working days to process the visa. Has this been accurate for people? Again, asking because we will have to wait in South Africa and pick it up (can’t cross back into Botswana without it – unless there is some permit I don’t know about but my fiancé does that he could get). Wondering if they process it any faster than that – or maybe for those not from South Africa?

4) Lastly, we have a possible challenge with timing… I am currently in Botswana and scheduled to leave in mid-October. We are still waiting on his birth certificate from the national registration office. It should take 4-5 more weeks. If it takes longer, we run into timing – I would have to leave before we can get the interview in. How terrible of an idea is it to submit the DS-2100 before we have the birth certificate, if we are confident it can come in time for the actual interview? Has anyone one this before? I would hate to risk not having it and have to re-schedule.

Thanks for any and all input! This forum has been a godsend!

The medical was done in 1 day for us. It was a long day, but it can be done in 1 day. This included the doctors visit, X-rays, blood work, and vaccines.

Call AS soon as you have your interview date. They like the two week window for the results of the test, and for your medical records to make their way back to the Consulate.

It really depends on the processing time. Ours was processed the next day. But if they need extra information or something is missing then it might delay the processing time. Based on what I have read it shouldn't be that long. Just check what days they are open to the public for pick up of the visa.

I would wait till you have his Birth Certificate, but that's my opinion. Do you have the option of paying to get it expedited? I know in South Africa you can do this.

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Hi,

When did you end up getting your medical appointment and interview appointment?

We booked the medical Sept 7 and 8th because they said it takes 10-14 days for the US consulate to receive and process the results. His appointment is Sept 17th. I just hate that he has to get a hotel for all those days in between just waiting.

6/18/15- NOA2!!!! Email notification at 21:30 Central Time **30 days from NOA1** 9/17/15- Interview!!! APPROVED :luv:

9/28/15- Visa in hand

Hi!

We are STILL waiting for his birth certificate to process, but aiming for medical in mid-October (assuming his interview will be scheduled for late October or early November at this point since we are still probably two weeks from having the birth certificate and being able to schedule anything). Best case, we get it in the next week or two and have a shot at getting the interview scheduled for mid-October - will still make two trips down there.

Luckily we are only in Botswana so we can make two trips and he doesn't have to miss all that work or spend a week and a half in a hotel! Sorry for your fiancé!

A bit nervous that I may not be able to be there for the actual interview - so would LOVE to hear the feedback from your fiancé after he has it to see how it goes and prepare!

Hi,

When did you end up getting your medical appointment and interview appointment?

We booked the medical Sept 7 and 8th because they said it takes 10-14 days for the US consulate to receive and process the results. His appointment is Sept 17th. I just hate that he has to get a hotel for all those days in between just waiting.

Van,

I would check on Gumtree.co.za or look at a Hostel and see if you can book something. It might be a lot cheaper than a hotel.

Timeline

Hi!

We are STILL waiting for his birth certificate to process, but aiming for medical in mid-October (assuming his interview will be scheduled for late October or early November at this point since we are still probably two weeks from having the birth certificate and being able to schedule anything). Best case, we get it in the next week or two and have a shot at getting the interview scheduled for mid-October - will still make two trips down there.

Luckily we are only in Botswana so we can make two trips and he doesn't have to miss all that work or spend a week and a half in a hotel! Sorry for your fiancé!

A bit nervous that I may not be able to be there for the actual interview - so would LOVE to hear the feedback from your fiancé after he has it to see how it goes and prepare!

Ah. Hope ya'll get the birth certificate soon. Someone on this site told me that the consulate only makes appointments for the last 2 weeks of each month.

I will definitely be posting a review based on what my fiancee's report. lol, he is not likely to post one.

Van,

I would check on Gumtree.co.za or look at a Hostel and see if you can book something. It might be a lot cheaper than a hotel.

Thanks for the link! We spent all day looking at options and finally booked a cottage on airb&b. Only $25 a night :joy: It is supposed to be about 6 kilometers from the consulate. Are you from Johannesburg? How is traffic?

Edited by VAN2015

9/28/15- Visa in hand

VAN,

I remember appts being every Tuesday and Thursday at 1PM.

I am the USC but lived in Cape Town for a long time. ;)

6 KM isn't bad!! You can check if there is Uber running or just get a cab!

• 2 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mauritius
Timeline

Hi people,

i need your help, my k1 petition has been approved and the nvc has sent my GF a letter of approval to her and the location of the interview is johannesburg south africa.
I live in mauritius and will need to travel to SA . Can anyone tell me how long should i plan my stay there for the medical till theresult of the visa approval ? and the cost of the medical and money i need to pay the consulate if there are additinal fee.

Hi people,

i need your help, my k1 petition has been approved and the nvc has sent my GF a letter of approval to her and the location of the interview is johannesburg south africa.

I live in mauritius and will need to travel to SA . Can anyone tell me how long should i plan my stay there for the medical till theresult of the visa approval ? and the cost of the medical and money i need to pay the consulate if there are additinal fee.

Hi Sachin,

We were told that it would take 2 weeks for the medical to reach the Consulate. But I don't know if you can call and explain you are traveling from out of the country and see if you can expedite it.

The visa approval will just depend on the interview. It's hard to say how long it will take after your interview to approve your visa. I would count on 5 days.

I think the medical was around R3,000? I am not sure with the K1 I think you do have to pay something. I believe it's around $165.

I would try and get a ticket I could make changes to if you needed to stay longer.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.