35 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

You need to apply for a Tourist Visa to get married here in Texas, Only cost $160.

If you two ever do meet, then he can apply for a K1 Visa, and if approved you can get married in Texas.

I suggest you two meet first in person and spend some time together, and then consider marriage after that.......

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Definitely not true. If you have a social security number you are required to disclose it at the time you obtain the licence, but if you don't have one then you simply inform the clerk of this.

I obtained my marriage license before I had my social security number; it was not an impediment.

In none of the 50 states is it a requirement to have a social security number before you can obtain a marriage license.

I was sent back, and told to return when I have a SSN. It might even depend on the county. In my county, I was unable to apply or the license without my SSN. Maybe the clerk was on a power-high...idk?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I was sent back, and told to return when I have a SSN. It might even depend on the county. In my county, I was unable to apply or the license without my SSN. Maybe the clerk was on a power-high...idk?

This is mainly about those unlawfully present being able to marry, but it explains all about the laws and why that clerk should not have sent you away. If you do not yet have an SSN, then it is not required to marry. You did not have to prove your legal status or provide an SSN to get the license.

https://cliniclegal.org/sites/default/files/Unauthorized%20Immigrants%20and%20the%20Right%20to%20Marry%20update%2010-26-10%20update%2012-13-11%20%282%29.pdf

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

In June of 2014, I met this awesome guy on a blogging site and we started talking and eventually became a couple after a month of talking. I live in the Philippines and he lives in Texas, USA. We are both currently unemployed but he's looking for a job now and I am too. We have been dating for over a year now and I couldn't be happier to have him in my life. We are definitely in love and want to start a life together and I mean, get married and live in Texas.

The thing is we don't know where to start this whole process. We haven't met yet and we plan to in the near future. Should I go visit him or should he go visit me? And we would like to get married in the US. What visa should I apply for? We honestly don't know what to do? Please help us. Thank you!

I just got approved with my K1 2 weeks ago. I suggest you guys do the same since it is faster. One of the requirements to get the K1 visa is you need to meet in person. This is very important before you file the petition.

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

We got are marriage license without presenting a SSN on my part. It is not a requirement. to have one to get married just a passport or visa will do. or birth certificates

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.