Egyptian Cotton

Can we get a k-1 fiance visa if we are married outside the US?

63 posts in this topic

Yes, he was denied like 3 months after we were married. What is an OP? :-/

If there have been no major changes in your husbands situation in Egypt since his denial, then getting an approval on a second try is a long shot. But unfortunately the only way to find out is to spend the money and try. Usually owning property and prior travel to other countries and returning home on time is a big help.

How long have you been married now?

I would try for the tourist visa again and give them as much info as you can...

An itinerary of your plans while you are the US along with and explanation of where you will be staying either in a hotel or with family.

Any employment info you can show proving both of your ties and desire to return to Egypt

Signed letters from employers stating that you have so much vacation available and that they know about the trip and that they are expecting you to return

Bank statements are not strong ties but showing that you have money in the bank in Egypt could help

An signed affidavit from you stating that you are coming to the US with him only for the ceremony and will be returning together after...I would call it a renewal of vows or celebration since you are already married

Your lease along with another affidavit from you just reaffirming that the two of you live together showing he has a home to return to

anything else at all even an affidavit from the person watching the cats showing they will be watching the cats and expect you to return to retrieve them

Yes, he was denied like 3 months after we were married. What is an OP? :-/

Hmm. Well....unless you (plural) or he has purchased property between then and now, or have had other major life changes that make you signification more settled in Egypt than you were.....there's probably not much of a chance. Honestly, there may not be much of a chance either way, because of the possibility that he just stays on that tourist visa (yes, even though you don't intend to do it and probably can prove it 6 different ways). It is completely unfair and really puts a huge logistic burden on a lot of folks, but the consulates really basically just play as if everyone is the "lowest common denominator"--everything from otherwise honest folks just looking for a shortcut to flat-out scammers who are planning to ditch their American wives at the baggage claim. Hooray for the selfish and the criminals making life stink for the rest of us.

While this is in no way ideal, or what you had planned at all---would a "destination wedding" somewhere where he has no or easier visa restrictions work out for your situation? I don't presume to know how much you were/are planning to spend on your US wedding, but sometimes you can have a smaller celebration for a fraction of what the "standard" wedding costs, and could possibly roll the cost of hotel/flights for the most important people in your lives (or those for whom it would be prohibitively expensive to go to a destination wedding). Like I said, not ideal at all--and I don't think that many people here have had an ideal wedding due to the immigration nonsense-- but perhaps a possibility.

Quick side note: if you ever do want him to immigrate to the US, know that you will have to prove the legitimacy of the relationship, and certain consulates take things like public weddings/family involvement in weddings etc very, very seriously.

Marriage/ AOS Timeline:

23 Dec 2015: Legal marriage

23 Jan 2016: Wedding!

23 Jan 2016: "Blizzard of the Century", wedding canceled/rescheduled (thank goodness we were legally married first or we'd have had a big problem!) :sleepy:

24 Jan 2016: Small "civil ceremony" with friends and family who were snowed in with us. December was a bit of a secret and people had traveled internationally and knew we *had* to get married that weekend, and our December legal marriage was nothing but signing a piece of paper at our priest's kitchen table, without any sort of vows etc so this was actually a very special (if not legally significant) day. (L)

16 Apr 2016: Filed for AOS and EAD/AP (We delayed a bit-- no big rush, enjoying the USCIS break)

23 Apr 2016: Wedding! Finally! :luv:

27 Apr 2016: Electronic NOA1 for all 3 :dancing:
29 Apr 2016: NOA1 Hardcopy for all 3
29 Jul 2016: Online service request for late EAD (Day 104)
29 Jul 2016: EAD/AP Approved ~3 hours after online service request
04 Aug 2016: RFE for Green Card (requested medicals/ vaccination record. They already have it). :ranting:
05 Aug 2016: EAD/AP Combo Card arrived! (Day 111)
08 Aug 2016: Congressional constituent request to get guidance on the RFE. Hoping they see they have the form and approve!

K-1 Visa Timeline:

PLEASE NOTE. This timeline was during the period of time when TSC was working on I-129fs and had a huge backlog. The average processing time was 210+ days. This is in no way predictive of your own timeline if you filed during or after April 2015, unless CSC develops a backlog. A backlog is anything above the 5-month goal time listed on USCIS's site

14 Feb 2015: Mailed I-129f to Dallas Lockbox. (L) (Most expensive Valentine's card I've ever sent!)

17 Feb 2015: NOA1 "Received Date"
19 Feb 2015: NOA1 Notice Date
08 Aug 2015: NOA2 email! :luv: (173 days from NOA1)

17 Aug 2015: Sent to NVC

?? Aug 2015: Arrived at NVC

25 Aug 2015: NVC Case # Assigned

31 Aug 2015: Left NVC for Consulate in San Jose

09 Sep 2015: Consulate received :dancing: (32 days from NOA2)

11 Sep 2015: Packet 3 emailed from embassy to me, the petitioner (34 days from NOA2).

18 Sep 2015: Medicals complete

21 Sep 2015: Packet 3 complete, my boss puts a temporary moratorium on all time off due to work emergency :clock:

02 Oct 2015: Work emergency clears up, interview scheduled (soonest available was 5 business days away--Columbus Day was in there)

13 Oct 2015: Interview

13 Oct 2015: VISA APPROVED :thumbs: (236 days from NOA1)

19 Oct 2015: Visa-in-hand

24 Oct 2015: POE !

15 Dec 2015: Fiance's mother's B-2 visa interview: APPROVED! So happy she will be at the wedding! :thumbs:

!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

We are not considered married unless we get the Egyptian marriage certificate translated, authenticated and registered in the US. Right now I file my US taxes as "single" and there is no record of the marriage in the United States.

Although you MIGHT get away with that in the first step (getting the actual petition approved by USCIS) since

the U.S. doesn't "know" about the marriage (as you indicated), this WILL backfire because during the second

step (interview in Egypt) it WILL be known to the embassy/consulate officer. And since this info was not known

at petition time, they will consider that visa fraud.

So.... no. You are simply NOT eligable for a K-1, you will have to go the CR-1/IR-1 route, sorry.

--fred

SEP-1994 First met! 12-16-14 POE PHILADELPHIA

05-25-14 Engaged (what took us so looooong!!!?) 12-19-14 MARRIAGE (SIMPLE)

06-19-14 I-129F packet sent to Lewisville Lockbox (USPS overnight) 01-05-15 I-485 (AOS/EAD/AP) package mailed out

06-20-14 USPS messed up, and had to re-route! 01-12-15 NOA text/email received for AOS/EAD/AP

06-23-14 I-129F packet received at Lockbox 02-03-15 Biometrics (Indianapolis)

06-23-14 NOA1 Notice Date (routed to CSC, yay!) 04-07-15 EAD and AP approved, card ordered

06-25-14 NOA1 text/email received 04-14-15 EAD/AP Combo Card received by certified mail.

06-26-14 Check Cashed 06-15-15 Received letter about interview waiver. 6mo to go!

06-27-14 Alien Registration Number changed 08-06-15 Welcome Notice mailed, permanent status registered.

06-30-14 NOA1 hardcopy received 08-14-15 Green Card mailed to me.

09-24-14 NOA2 text/email received *APPROVED* 08-18-15 Green Card (which is green!) in hand!!

09-28-14 NOA2 hardcopy received

10-15-14 NVC received 05-17-17 Time to start ROC !

10-16-14 NVC case number assigned

10-21-14 NVC left (to Amsterdam Consulate)

10-23-14 Consulate Received

10-25-14 PACKET-3 Received (regular mail)

10-25-14 Online DS-160 submitted **** I am the Beneficiary (Fred) ****

10-27-14 Sent reply to Consulate (arrives 10-28)

10-29-14 Touched *** If you have questions about the K-1 journey coming

11-01-14 PACKET-4 Received (regular mail) *** from The Netherlands, send me a message !

11-26-14 MEDICAL *PASSED*

12-04-14 INTERVIEW *APPROVED*

12-06-14 Touched (Administrative Processing)

12-08-14 Touched (Ready)

12-09-14 Touched (Issued)

12-10-14 Received email that package was sent off

12-11-14 VISA IN HAND

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

co-mingling of finances in Egypt. bank accounts, joint insurance, copies of your job contracts, your rental agreement with you is evidence because it is proof you plan to return, even if his name isn't on it..affidavits from friends and family. There are many things to show your ties to Egypt.

Then you'd better not read the response from the Embassy, since it will say the same thing. Please don't get snippy with people who are trying to help you, just because you don't like/don't want to believe the answer they give. People don't always have time to read all replies in a thread before before they respond with valid information. And, sometimes, people are typing and posting their responses at the same time without knowing it.

Kudos! :thumbs:

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

Lifting Condition (I-751)

*Mailed I-751 package (06/21/2017) to CSC

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

*NOA-1 received (06/28/2017)

*Check cashed (06/27/2017)

*Biometric Received (07/10/2017)

*Biometric Appointment (07/20/2017)

OK.

1. We were not planning on lying about the marriage in Egypt. In the state of Illinois (where I am from) you can still register for and receive a marriage license even if you are married in another state or in a foreign country. We had every intention of being forthright about our Egyptian marital status but wondered if being that we are doing a full legal wedding ceremony in the US we could possibly qualify for the K-1.

2. You have all made it abundantly clear that this is not a possibility. I thank you for your replies but maybe some of you could have read the responses already made before repeating the exact same information 10 times.

3. As for taxes, I have been married under one year and my tax lawyer (who I use since I file from overseas) assured me that it is not necessary to file as a married couple since I am only reporting on one income. I am not trying to evade taxes or swindle the US government, our marriage was just very close to the filing date and it wasn't necessary.

Thank you all for your prompt replies.

Visa requirements fall under federal jurisdiction not a state. So, it means when you want to deal with any kind of visas process then you have to deal with the federal government.

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

Lifting Condition (I-751)

*Mailed I-751 package (06/21/2017) to CSC

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

*NOA-1 received (06/28/2017)

*Check cashed (06/27/2017)

*Biometric Received (07/10/2017)

*Biometric Appointment (07/20/2017)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

I would rather have a general consensus of 10 people saying the same thing than just one being wrong and don't get your comment in regards to people "should read everyone's comments." Quick way to tick people off here. Since you already got advice I am holding my opinion.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Wrong. As others have said, married is married. You do not need it registered in the usa. You're filing your taxes fraudulently and should fix this asap.

No, you aren't really filing taxes illegally, but you probably aren't choosing the best filing status. Technically, according to the IRC, a nonresident alien (NRA) can't file a joint return; however, there is an exception if you are married to a USC or resident alien. Since you are not living apart, you wouldn't be eligible to file as single. However, it's an error in the eyes of the IRS - as if you claimed your mother as a dependent, but you weren't eligible to do so. Unless you intentionally filed as single to avoid paying the correct amount of tax it's not fraud. But you really did do it wrong. It's either ITIN and MFJ or MFS. Otherwise, 'NO SOUP FOR YOU!' :rofl:

Signature coming soon...

What kind of evidence have people had success with in proving ties to their home city? I have read you need to show something pretty big like owning a business or a zillion kids enrolled in school. We both work here and have contracts, my husband is a fairly well known author and translator in Egypt, we rent our apartment (in my name not his because of my work), we own 2 bicycles and 4 cats. Other than that we don't have much to show. I've been told bank accounts, airplane tickets and hotel reservations won't work.

Do you think showing our wedding invitation would help? We aren't sending them unless he gets the visa but we have a few printed. Or would that just hurt our cause people they will think since we are getting married we will stay. And why would he immigrate illegally when he can do it fairly simply (all things considered) legally?

I know you are getting different opinions on here, but all this sounds like pretty strong evidence..ESPECIALLY the fact that you BOTH have job contracts. Did you guys present this information during the first interview?

Not that I know, but I would think presenting your Egyptian marriage certificate to prove that you are already married would help establish that you are NOT intending to come to US to marry and stay. Especially if you have a lease and can show that you will return. You guys sound pretty stable in Egypt; that's crazy that you would get denied a visitor's visa to have a ceremony with your American friends and family! They say that's what it's for!

Signature coming soon...

I know someone who came into the US on a K1 visa, got married, but did not apply for AOS. She was here for a couple of months before she decided she hated it, so she and her American husband moved back to her country. He lives there legally, but half a year or so later, they got a wedding invitation in the US. She applied for a tourist visa and was denied. 6 months later after that, she applied again and was granted one.

So the more you live there and are married and set ties, the greater the chances of getting a tourist visa.

event.png

As others have said, married is married, so the K-1 is out of the question. Whether he will be granted a tourist visa or not remains to be seen. There's nothing wrong with wanting to share a marriage ceremony/reception with friends and family who were not able to be in Egypt when you married. Just be sure he FULLY explains that.

One question, though. On the tourist visa application that was denied, did he say he was married or single?

Oh, and fire that tax person and amend your return.

Edited by Ihavequestions

As stated before whoever you filed your taxes with is not a smart one at all. The reason why I say this is for a number of reasons:

1. Why would you file "Single" if you are "Married"? You are losing money to the government by filing "Single", so why would you want to give them even more of your money?

2. If you do decide that y'all want to immigrate later on down the road, then you are supposed to show tax returns aka proof of income. It will be a big red flag that you have kept filing "Single" for a number of years if you are supposedly "Married" and filing for a CR-1 from the embassy/NVC side of the house.

So why wouldn't you just file "Married" anyway, you guys are married.

Edited by cyberfx1024

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline

Do not doubt the U.S. government, with as long as the immigration processes take.. they dig and I believe they can find it all out. What people said is very correct. You should apply for a spousal visa.

Good Luck!

K1

AOS

ROC

09/14/2017 : Package Sent (CSC)

09/15/2017 : Package Received (CSC)

09/15/2017 : NOA1 Date

10/12/2017 : Biometrics

--/--/---- : Interview

--/--/---- : Decision

N400

09/01/2018 : Application Sent (online)

--/--/---- NOA1 Date

--/--/---- : Biometrics

--/--/---- : Interview

--/--/---- : Decision

So it's not gonna be easy.

It's going to be really hard;

we're gonna have to work at this everyday,

but I want to do that because I want you.

I want all of you, forever, everyday.

You and me.. everyday.

___The NoteBook

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.