Egyptian Cotton

Can we get a k-1 fiance visa if we are married outside the US?

63 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Egypt
Timeline

I am an American citizen living in Egypt. I married my Egyptian husband here because we needed the paperwork to be able to legally live together, we never registered the marriage with the US embassy so as far as the US is concerned I am not married.

We want to have a small wedding in the US. My husband was denied a tourist visa about 8 months ago and has never visited the US.

Can we apply for a k-1 fiance visa since we are not married in the United States even though we were married in Egypt??

Thanks for your help

Timeline

We are not considered married unless we get the Egyptian marriage certificate translated, authenticated and registered in the US. Right now I file my US taxes as "single" and there is no record of the marriage in the United States.

Married is married. Any ceremony in which you enter into marriage and receive a marriage certificate is in the eyes of the law, legal. The U.S. will recognise you as married. A K1 visa is no longer a valid option for you.

h3aDm4.png

ZfQlm4.png

ut7Km8.png

iqv4m8.png

K-1: NOA1 to Visa Approval - 8 MONTHS, 19 DAYS

AOS: NOA1 to Green Card Approval - 3 MONTHS, 16 DAYS

ROC:  - NOA1: January 16, 2018; Case Received at Local Office: January 5, 2019;...

Citizenship:  - In Progress Estimated Completion Time: July 2020 (18 Months)

We are not considered married unless we get the Egyptian marriage certificate translated, authenticated and registered in the US. Right now I file my US taxes as "single" and there is no record of the marriage in the United States.

You don't need to register your marriage at US Embassy in Cairo to get it recognized. The US recognized all forms of marriage even traditional or religious one. Bear in mind if they caught you doing so, not only your husband will get denied for the visa but also they can considered you as "misrepresentation". The result? Your husband could get ban for coming to the US.

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

Lifting Condition (I-751)

*Mailed I-751 package (06/21/2017) to CSC

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

*NOA-1 received (06/28/2017)

*Check cashed (06/27/2017)

*Biometric Received (07/10/2017)

*Biometric Appointment (07/20/2017)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

The US recognizes all marriages no matter where they happened as long as the marriage is legal in that country. There is no requirement nor even a method to "register" a marriage with the US government. You are married in Egypt and you are married in the US.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

I am an American citizen living in Egypt. I married my Egyptian husband here because we needed the paperwork to be able to legally live together, we never registered the marriage with the US embassy so as far as the US is concerned I am not married.

We want to have a small wedding in the US. My husband was denied a tourist visa about 8 months ago and has never visited the US.

Can we apply for a k-1 fiance visa since we are not married in the United States even though we were married in Egypt??

Thanks for your help

No, you are married an therefor no longer fiances. The K1 is only for fiance's. Your marriage is still recognized by the US even though it happened in Egypt. You will have to go the spousal visa route. And you might want to stop filing your taxes as single because you're not single anymore...

You can still have a ceremony in the US though, just not get officially married because you are already married.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Turkey
Timeline

and tell me what you would do when the CO wants to see your husband's marital background..whether or not he has ever been married.. I know they ask that question. and one might have to prove it with an official paper stating all the marital history.

Edited by Pekan

PeKan

K-1 Journey
01/31/2012 - First Date!
01/01/2015 - Engagement
02/11/2015 - I-129F Filing
02/17/2015 - NOA1!
08/03/2015 - NOA2! (167 Days)

08/24/2015 - Application arrived at Consulate in Ankara
09/01/2015 - Notification from Embassy in Ankara
11/03/2015 - Interview Date
11/22/2015 - US Arrival Date! (284 Days)
12/08/2015 - Marriage! (L)

AOS/EAD/AP Journey
12/16/2015 - AOS/EAD/AP Filing
12/23/2015 - NOA1 x 3 Text Message and Check Cashed
12/28/2015 - NOA1 x 3 received by Mail
1/19/2016 - RFIE - Primary(?) Evidence for Birth Certificate
1/23/2016 - Biometrics Letter received
2/02/2016 - Biometrics completed
2/08/2016 - Response to RFIE was received

2/24/2016 - EAD/AP Approved!

3/01/2016 - EAD/AP Card Received!

4/14/2016 - AOS Approved!

4/19/2016 - Green Card Received!

Timeline

OK.

1. We were not planning on lying about the marriage in Egypt. In the state of Illinois (where I am from) you can still register for and receive a marriage license even if you are married in another state or in a foreign country. We had every intention of being forthright about our Egyptian marital status but wondered if being that we are doing a full legal wedding ceremony in the US we could possibly qualify for the K-1.

2. You have all made it abundantly clear that this is not a possibility. I thank you for your replies but maybe some of you could have read the responses already made before repeating the exact same information 10 times.

3. As for taxes, I have been married under one year and my tax lawyer (who I use since I file from overseas) assured me that it is not necessary to file as a married couple since I am only reporting on one income. I am not trying to evade taxes or swindle the US government, our marriage was just very close to the filing date and it wasn't necessary.

Thank you all for your prompt replies.

Timeline

We are not looking for him to be able to immigrate. I understand it is a slow process and if that was what we wanted to we would be more than happy to patiently wait for it. We want to go to the US for 11 days. 11 days. That's it. We are going to have a wedding, then a reception, then come back to Egypt. Where we live and work and want to be.

As I mentioned previously we have no intention of doing anything illegal...that is why I posed the question to begin with. I have also sent an email to the Consulate here in Egypt asking the same question.

Please, unless you are going to tell me something useful, I don't need to see the same responses again.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Tourist Visas, from K1 P&P - As the OP has no intentions of having her husband immigrate. The only available option is a Tourist Visa.~~

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.