trecs

Port of Entry - what to expect?

5 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

So, I've been issued my K1 visa and my passport is in hand and i'm ready to go!

What should i expect at the Port of Entry? What's it like?

I have my white envelope and my passport. what else do i need?

Thank you

May 2012 - Met Online Gaming

November 2012 - Started dating

June 2013 - He visited the UK

August 2013 - She visited the US - got Engaged!

Mar/Apr 2014 - She visited the US

June 2014 - I-129F Sent

June 2014 - NOA1 Received

June 2014 - She visited the US

Jun/Jul 2014 - He visited the UK

Oct/Nov/Dec 2014- He visited the UK

Dec 2014 - NOA2 Received

Dec 2014 - NVC Received

Dec/Jan 2014/15 - She visited the US

January 2015 - Consulate Received

March 2015 - Medical

July 2015 - Interview - Approved!

July 2015 - Visa Received

Hey! There is a complete guide for UK members - here's the last post!

Last Things Last – Post Interview

1. You've got your passport and BBE – now what? Well, it goes without saying you and your other half will now need to decide when you're leaving so you can book flights. Go ahead and do that now assuming nothing major is barring you (like a pending house sale).

2. There's a thread on things you need to do before leaving the UK - read the entire thread though, as many people have contributed things not in the first post.

3. When you arrive at your Point of Entry (POE), make sure you have your Passport, BBE and Customs Declaration ready. Ask the immigration staffers where they want you to go – some airports (San Francisco) have special “New Immigrant” lines. Others will have you go through the “Visitor” line. Some may even have you go through the “US Citizen/LPR” line, especially if your future spouse flew with you. Note if you're flying from Dublin, that IS your POE as they have pre-clearance there and therefore when you touch down in the US it's as if you flew in on a domestic flight.

4. You will get taken into Secondary Processing, or at least directed to it. In your case this is nothing to fear – you're basically being signed in. They'll take your BBE off of you as this gets sent away ready for AOS later on. Your visa will be stamped or written on and you will be told what date you need to be married by. As with all CBP officers, you might get a nice one, or a grumpy one. Can't help that, unfortunately. Note, if you have a connection you want to leave lots of time just in case there's an issue as you will have to recheck your bags and go through security one last time.

5. If your first stop is your last one, you best be ready to run into the arms of your beloved. If not, get your bags, recheck them and go through the security checkpoint one more time before you go to get that last flight. Next up is marriage and AOS. But think about that a bit later, first off you might have some serious catching up to do!

You can also read US POE reviews here - http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/poereviews.php- this might give you an idea of what to expect when you arrive at your POE.

Congrats on getting your passport! You're almost there!

Spoiler

K1

04/09/15: NOA1

06/10/15: NOA2

09/04/15: Interview - Approved!

09/18/15: Visa received

09/24/15: POE

10/24/15: Wedding!!

AOS

11/12/15: AOS packet sent

11/15/15: AOS packet received

11/16/15: NOA1 for I-131 and I-765

11/18/15: NOA1 for I-485

12/11/15: Biometrics

02/06/16: EAD card in production, AP sent RFE

02/10/16: EAD mailed

02/11/16: EAD combo card received in mail including AP - Service request sent for why case tracker shows RFE

03/16/16: AOS Interview - Approved

03/22/16: Green Card received in mail

ROC

12/18/17: I-751 Filed at VSC
12/22/17: NOA1

02/02/18: Biometrics Appointment

02/04/19: Case approved

02/09/19: Card received

All done, for now. 

thanks for this, Becca. i had no idea about the Dublin PoE which is useful as it looks like i will be flying through there!!

June 2014 - I-129F Sent

Dec 2014 - NOA2 Received

Dec 2014 - NVC Received

March 2015 - Medical

thanks for this, Becca. i had no idea about the Dublin PoE which is useful as it looks like i will be flying through there!!

If you are not on the mobile version of VJ, there's a light blue menu bar at the top of the page. Find the word POE and click on it. Choose your POE locationfrom the drop down list and read what people wrote about their experience.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

If you are not on the mobile version of VJ, there's a light blue menu bar at the top of the page. Find the word POE and click on it. Choose your POE locationfrom the drop down list and read what people wrote about their experience.

Thanks Nick :) i'm on the mobile version at the minute but i will check that out later!

June 2014 - I-129F Sent

Dec 2014 - NOA2 Received

Dec 2014 - NVC Received

March 2015 - Medical

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.