Deagle

Help, Got injured at work and they wont help me.

43 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Lebanon
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I got a job thru staffing agency in the US, my job was in shipping and receiving. I hurt my leg calf from lifting heavy stuff and it became red and hot and I was not able to walk anymore. I reported to the safety department in where I used to work and they contacted the staffing agency. They took me to walk-in doctor then he recommended to go to hospital. In hospital I went under xray and ultra sound to make sure it's not a blood clot. They said if it was a blood clot then it has nothing to do with your work. But it was not. They said I am having a torn muscle and sent me home with a sick leave letter for 2 days.

After 2 days the staffing agency told me not to go to the job anymore, and since then i am jobless. I started to receive medical bills by mail (which worth around $6500) I spoke with the staffing agency they said send it to us we will takecare of it. Yesterday I received a letter by mail from a third party saying that my worker's comp was denied and I have to pay or I can submit a claim and hearing to the State Labor Department.

I called the thirtd party people today they said we reviewed the documts and reports, nothing says that it is from work or happened at work and no one saw it happening. But I have a report from the first emergency walk in doctor saying that this is a work related injry and liability of workers comp.

I have no insurance at all and I cant get any because I still didn't get a job after they told me not to go anymore.

What can I do? I cant afford to pay all the medical bills and it happened because of my work in lifting products and packing them, but yet they say nothing can prove that.

Any suggestions? Will going to the state department of labor for a hearing will really help me?

The immigration process caused me PTSD.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Yes going to the hearing could help. Assemble any evidences you can... Doctors reports, test results, the safety report you made at the work site, statements from coworkers if possible. Take all that evidence with you to the hearing. Sometimes the hearings are done via telephone. If this happens be sure to get a fax number to fax all this evidence to for review. Good Luck to you!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Did the Dr's note say it was a torn muscle or a blood clot? Did you send them the info from the 1st ER Dr?

Go to the state dept-it can't hurt.

Good Luck.

09/27/14 Married :content:

12/03/14 Became a US citizen :star:

. .

02/25/15 130 Petition sent

02/27/15 NOA1 date :clock:

07/23/15 NOA2 date

08/03/15 Mailed to NVC

08/07/15 NVC Received

08/19/15 Case number assigned, submitted DS-261

08/20/15 Paid AOS bill

08/25/15 Received welcome letter

08/25/15 Sent AOS & IV package

08/31/15 DS-261 reviewed

08/31/15 AOS & IV scan date confirmed by Sup.

09/02/15 Received IV bill by email

09/03/15 Paid IV bill

09/09/15 Submitted DS-260

09/17/15 Case Completed @ NVC

10/06/15 Expedite Request sent to NVC

11/12/15 Contacted Sen. Marco Rubio for assistance with expedite by email

11/19/15 Expedite Approved

12/9/15 Medical

12/11/15 Interview (Approved)

12/14/15 CEAC Status changed to AP

12/15/15 CEAC Status Changed to Issued

12/18/15 Picked up Passport & booked hubby's ticket.

12/31/15 Ring in the New Years together after 4 years!!!! :dancing:

event.png

Timeline

Yes going to the hearing could help. Assemble any evidences you can... Doctors reports, test results, the safety report you made at the work site, statements from coworkers if possible. Take all that evidence with you to the hearing. Sometimes the hearings are done via telephone. If this happens be sure to get a fax number to fax all this evidence to for review. Good Luck to you!

I have all the reports and test results. The ultrasound says the veins are ok also the Xray. I have a report from the hospital says that I am suffering from a torn muscle - muscle strain. I also have a different report from the first emergency walk-in saying that my injury is work related. The third party people are saying that the reports says that I am suffering from torn muscle but it doesn't say it happened because of work. The manager from the staffing agency asked my supervisor about what happened he said I didn't see it happen but I saw him limping the other day, and indeed I was limping because I was not able to walk from the pain.

I am going to collect all the reports and will file for a hearing. Because this happened because of my job from lifting and packing the stuff and I lost my job becasue of the injury, and now they are telling me to pay the bills!!

Timeline

I have all the reports and test results. The ultrasound says the veins are ok also the Xray. I have a report from the hospital says that I am suffering from a torn muscle - muscle strain. I also have a different report from the first emergency walk-in saying that my injury is work related. The third party people are saying that the reports says that I am suffering from torn muscle but it doesn't say it happened because of work. The manager from the staffing agency asked my supervisor about what happened he said I didn't see it happen but I saw him limping the other day, and indeed I was limping because I was not able to walk from the pain.

I am going to collect all the reports and will file for a hearing. Because this happened because of my job from lifting and packing the stuff and I lost my job becasue of the injury, and now they are telling me to pay the bills!!

Employers have a tendency to deny workers comp claims and do everything they can to absolve themselves from any liability. It is good to request a hearing so your side of the story can be fully heard. Request a copy of that safety report you made with the employer, in writing if possible. Document their response and show that at the hearing too. That sounds like an important piece of evidence. You can also indicate the date and time you were taken to the walk in doctor (to show you were working at the time). Do your best to get statements from this supervisor and/or coworkers who can verify your side. The more you can present at the hearing the better your chances are. It may be a good idea to review Workers Compensation requirements for your state. Don't be afraid to ask the Worker Compensation bureau or case worker for any advise or help. They're supposed to be an independent objective party. Maybe there is an organization in your area that helps workers with their cases.

Timeline

I will do that. I also have a report from the first Emergency walk-in saying that my injury is work related and it is liability of worker's comp. But yet they denied that, they said there is no proof for that. I will request the report I wrote for them of what happened and I will request a hearing, hopefully I will win this case because that's the fair thing.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Moving to the US and Your New Life from General Immigration~~

Sorry kids distracted me and I forgot to click Post!

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline

I will do that. I also have a report from the first Emergency walk-in saying that my injury is work related and it is liability of worker's comp. But yet they denied that, they said there is no proof for that. I will request the report I wrote for them of what happened and I will request a hearing, hopefully I will win this case because that's the fair thing.

Yes in most cases it seems to get denied at first. You have to push them to accept it. So requesting that hearing may help (keeping my fingers crossed for you). Definitely make sure they see that report that states it's work related. If they want to keep any of these documents make sure to keep a copy set for yourself for future use if needed. Good Luck!! Just be firm but courteous. Don't back down!! Wish you the best!

Timeline

Oh and as far as the bills... I would try to hold off, if possible, in paying them. Call the customer service number on the bill and inform them you have filed a Workers Compensation claim and are seeking to have your medical bills paid by the employer/workers compensation. If you do end up having to pay any of these medical bills keep good records of what bill and how much you paid so that you can seek reimbursement. Mention this at the hearing as well, if you do pay anything.

Employers pay into workers compensation but the less claims they have cuts down on their fees. So they try their best to get these cases denied. I am a union representative and help employees with these, wrongful terminations, and FMLA claims frequently. I hope you win!!

Timeline

Did the Dr's note say it was a torn muscle or a blood clot? Did you send them the info from the 1st ER Dr?

Go to the state dept-it can't hurt.

Good Luck.

I have 2 reports. The first one is from the walk-in ER saying that my injury is work related, and the 2nd one is from the hospital saying that I have a torn muscle - muscle strain.

Timeline

Oh and as far as the bills... I would try to hold off, if possible, in paying them. Call the customer service number on the bill and inform them you have filed a Workers Compensation claim and are seeking to have your medical bills paid by the employer/workers compensation. If you do end up having to pay any of these medical bills keep good records of what bill and how much you paid so that you can seek reimbursement. Mention this at the hearing as well, if you do pay anything.

Employers pay into workers compensation but the less claims they have cuts down on their fees. So they try their best to get these cases denied. I am a union representative and help employees with these, wrongful terminations, and FMLA claims frequently. I hope you win!!

At first the staffing agency told me to send them the bills and I did thinking that they are paying that. Yesterday I received a letter from a third party who determine the case, saying that it's denied. I will prepare a claim and mail it. I am not working and I cant pay any of these bills. Even if I got a job, I don't want to pay more than $6000 for this. I am trying to establish a life here and get on my feet.

Timeline

At first the staffing agency told me to send them the bills and I did thinking that they are paying that. Yesterday I received a letter from a third party who determine the case, saying that it's denied. I will prepare a claim and mail it. I am not working and I cant pay any of these bills. Even if I got a job, I don't want to pay more than $6000 for this. I am trying to establish a life here and get on my feet.

I can understand that! That is part of what makes working for staffing agencies difficult. The work is sometimes strenuous and rarely do they provide any benefits or health coverage. But I totally understand you have to do what you can and start somewhere! I'll be rooting for you!

Timeline

I can understand that! That is part of what makes working for staffing agencies difficult. The work is sometimes strenuous and rarely do they provide any benefits or health coverage. But I totally understand you have to do what you can and start somewhere! I'll be rooting for you!

Thank you! I will keep you updated.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Just a FYI

Usually a hospital or Emergency room will work a deal on your payments.

If you don't have insurance or a steady job I would think you could get about 90% of that bill waived.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.