SaraRockwell

Questions, Questions, Questions...

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

This is probably going to seem all over the place, and truth be told it mostly is, but now that my interview is only a week and a half away and I'll be (hopefully) leaving one month after that, I figure it's time I get some of this figured out, and I don't necessarily have the time between two jobs and packing to search for the answers. Here's hoping someone can help me out!

1) What do I do about taxes in Canada once I move to the US? I will have two T4's coming in for the 2015 tax year, and will obviously no longer be able to collect GST that is still due to me in October and January.

2) Keeping taxes in mind, who do I need to notify when I leave the country? Aside from cell service providers and closing my bank accounts, I have no idea who else to contact. (ServiceCanada? etc...)

3) Are there any other fees due when I arrive at the Consulate? I paid a $260 (I think) fee when I completed my DS-260, and have completed my medical exam.

4) I don't remember if I chose to have my SSN mailed to me when I completed the DS-260, and if I did, the address would have changed anyways. Can I fill out a form and bring it to an office instead of waiting for my SSN, which may or may not show up in the mail? Is there any way to correct the address that was given?

5) And finally, how do you go about becoming a dual citizen, and is it overall more complicated than simply naturalizing to the US? I understand this is years ahead, but I'm a fan of bookmarking and will save anything in reference to what I need to do next.

Hopefully someone can answer a few of these, if not all of them. :P I've got so much going on in my head at the moment that I just don't have the time to hunt for all the answers by myself!

Thanks in advance!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

any usa spouse with pc access? all your questions findable in the advanced search tool, but using a pc to use the advanced search tool is a must ! and we're open 24/7 !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

any usa spouse with pc access? all your questions findable in the advanced search tool, but using a pc to use the advanced search tool is a must ! and we're open 24/7 !

Funny enough, but at the moment he doesn't have PC access. Hahah. He's out in the middle of nowhere camping with no reception for at least another two weeks. :( Guess I'll have to try to find them myself.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

An expensive solution would be to file with H&R Block. They will charge you like $400 for your US taxes and $300 for Canadian. It is specially needed for the year you were in both Canada and US.

I am not sure if other tax companies in US does Canadian taxes as well.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

This is probably going to seem all over the place, and truth be told it mostly is, but now that my interview is only a week and a half away and I'll be (hopefully) leaving one month after that, I figure it's time I get some of this figured out, and I don't necessarily have the time between two jobs and packing to search for the answers. Here's hoping someone can help me out!

1) What do I do about taxes in Canada once I move to the US? I will have two T4's coming in for the 2015 tax year, and will obviously no longer be able to collect GST that is still due to me in October and January.

You will file your exit return for the 2015 yr (there's a spot on the top of Canadian Tax forms to indicate it) and correct - you will have to return any government things like GST that you received after ceasing to be a Cdn resident. You can try informing Canada Revenue Agency now, but a number of us have had trouble with them stopping the payments so we've had to pay them back later once they calculate what we owed in returned GST payments or baby bonus (if applicable). You can't efile outside Canada so you'll be submitting a paper return or printing one off from your tax software (unless this has changed)

2) Keeping taxes in mind, who do I need to notify when I leave the country? Aside from cell service providers and closing my bank accounts, I have no idea who else to contact. (ServiceCanada? etc...) .You don't have close your bank accounts. Some have notified the provincial healthcare - even if you don't you're not entitled to it anyway. Any debts you may have (credit card debt etc...)

3) Are there any other fees due when I arrive at the Consulate? I paid a $260 (I think) fee when I completed my DS-260, and have completed my medical exam.

4) I don't remember if I chose to have my SSN mailed to me when I completed the DS-260, and if I did, the address would have changed anyways. Can I fill out a form and bring it to an office instead of waiting for my SSN, which may or may not show up in the mail? Is there any way to correct the address that was given?

5) And finally, how do you go about becoming a dual citizen, and is it overall more complicated than simply naturalizing to the US? I understand this is years ahead, but I'm a fan of bookmarking and will save anything in reference to what I need to do next. Visit the US citizeneship forum - you'll likely file based on the 3 yr rule ( 3 yrs of marriage and GC) - read up in the N400 guide! There's lots in between so don't get ahead of yourself

Hopefully someone can answer a few of these, if not all of them. :P I've got so much going on in my head at the moment that I just don't have the time to hunt for all the answers by myself!

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Udella&Wiz

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.