avital

Questions about life in the US

43 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Israel
Timeline

Avoid political debates generally speaking, especially at work. My experience back in Canada was that you could have healthy, jovial conversations about the government and no one got offended, in the US you couldn't have a civilized conversation without everyone trying to take sides immediately.

Be openly friendly, sure you may have an accent but there's nothing worse then someone who isn't friendly or keeps to themselves - wave and say Hi to the neighbours when you take the garbage out or you're out for a walk in the neghbourhood.

once you start working you'll have more opportunities to meet people and become friends too.

thanks for the advice :)

✡♥✡

K-1 Visa (CSC) AOS (MSC)

26.1.2014 - Started dating ||||||||| 15.9.2015 - Applied for SSN

17.1.2015 - Met for the first time | 21.9.2015 - Received SSN

26.1.2015 - Got engaged ||| 16.10.2015 - Got Married

6.2.2015 - I-129F sent |||||||||| 11.11.2015 - AOS/EAD/AP sent

11.2.2015 - NOA1 |||||| 24.11.2015 - NOA1

26.2.2015 - NOA2 |||||| 2.12.2015 - Biometrics letter received

17.3.2015 - Case sent to Jerusalem consulate|||8.12.2015 - Biometrics

13.4.2015 - Packet 3 |||||||||| 11.12.2015 - Online RFE notice

28.6.2015 - Medical x

8.7.2015 - Interview - Approved! :luv: |||||||||||| x

31.7.2015 - Visa in hand ||||||| x

31.8.2015 - POE LAX x

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

1) nobody will care about your accent

2) Don't bother learning spanish

3) Friends are as hard/easy as anywhere else

4) I didn't bring any culture with me, but I came from a country with one that is almost the same anyway

5) Felt somewhat like an outsider for a while but that was my own doing; nobody else ever made me feel that way, but you'll be aware of your difference.

Despite what you may read in the media, the US is extremely welcoming of immigrants and if people know you're legal you will not get any flak whatsoever from anybody.

Nobody ever cared that I wasn't an American.

The US also in general holds Israel in high regards so you'll be fine saying you're from Israel. To some people your background will make you more attractive as an employee just because it makes you more interesting than a person from Idaho.

Good luck!

After I posted last night, speaking for my wife, I shared with her what I posted. She was in agreement with all I said other than what what you posted in #5 below. She too said that she also felt like an outsider at first, just as you mentioned here, but the same as you it was her own doing. She said no one made her feel that way. She, like me, had travelled to many places in the world prior to us meeting. As she said, whenever you go to another country you always feel like an outsider, that is just the way it is in another country. But she said she always hides that well. You just do your best to adjust until you have adjusted, I never sensed she felt like an outsider at first. She hid that well from me as well. But like she and you both said, "that was my (her) own doing".

1) nobody will care about your accent

2) Don't bother learning spanish

3) Friends are as hard/easy as anywhere else

4) I didn't bring any culture with me, but I came from a country with one that is almost the same anyway

5) Felt somewhat like an outsider for a while but that was my own doing; nobody else ever made me feel that way, but you'll be aware of your difference.

Despite what you may read in the media, the US is extremely welcoming of immigrants and if people know you're legal you will not get any flak whatsoever from anybody.

Nobody ever cared that I wasn't an American.

The US also in general holds Israel in high regards so you'll be fine saying you're from Israel. To some people your background will make you more attractive as an employee just because it makes you more interesting than a person from Idaho.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline

i know my experiences might be different but im still interested in others experiences, i think that even if our experiences are different they can still be similar in a lot of ways. i just like being prepared, im kinda the type who likes knowing everything about everything :P

Absolutely nothing wrong with being extra prepared :) I just don't think it's something to necessarily worry about. I think the biggest things you'll notice once you get here are:

Yes, people will comment on your accent. And yes, they will judge you on it.

When you tell people where you're from, they either won't care or will have a million thoughts on it.

Please, I would encourage you to bring your culture here! It's what makes America awesome!

"A million years if I could live,
A thousand lives if I could give,
I would spend it all again with you,
Don't forget where you belong,
Only with me you are strong,
Not even the gods above can break,
Baby what we have"

Timeline

I just returned from an extended visit to Israel and my fiance is also Israeli :)

He speaks English fluently, but also two other languages. There are a lot more US connections to Israel than either of us expected, especially in the tech industry. Speaking Hebrew would be valuable if you're working for a tech company in the US (especially if you're going to be based in Cali or Arizona -- lots of tech out west!).

When I visited Israel, i was very much reminded of southern Cali and Arizona mixed with Europe. Israeli food is definitely better and fresher than US food though. I miss it! Good luck with your move!

K1 Visa

06-13-2015 - Engaged!

07-17-2015 - I-129F packet sent

09-02-2015 - NVC sent case to U.S. Consulate in Jerusalem, packet 3 sent via email

11-04-2015 - Interview (Approved!)

11-19-2015 - K-1 Visa in-hand

12-25-2015 - POE (Atlanta, GA)

AOS/Green Card

01-10-2016 - Got married

01-16-2016 - I-485/EAD application sent (same packet)

03-04-2016 - EAD card arrives in mail (successful expedite)

05-18-2016 - Received AOS letter with interview appointment

06-07-2016 - AOS Interview scheduled (Atlanta) - Approved!

06-15-2016 - Green Card in hand!

ROC

03-24-2018 - Mailed in ROC petition packet

03-27-2018 - NOA (packet received); 1-year extension

05-25-2018 - Biometrics

I think it largely depends on where you are moving to and if there is a lot of diversity where you'll be going.

In the great state of Georgia, there is not a LOT of diversity outside of the city of Atlanta. So if you are moving to a rural area in Georgia (like I did) there is not a lot of room for meeting people from Canada.

As for work, that depends on what you'll be doing as well. I am a teacher so it took me about 6 weeks to find a job and that was a job I knew I would hate but did it for a year so it could be a stepping stone into something I would enjoy - which it had.

Canadians are notorious for pointing out all things Canadian. "Oh, you like basketball...totally invented by a Canadian by the way". So that is how we get our culture across.

Because I'm a teacher when people find out I am Canadian they are generally interested in what Canada is like - especially when I inform them that it is actually NOT part of the U.S. so you may run in to some people who are ignorant about your country. Try not to get frustrated.

Good luck - remember why you fought so hard to get here and it is all worth it.

My wife misses no opportunity to point out how Americans mispell "cheque", "flavour" and "favour".

Not only is Canada not part of the US, but it really doesn't snow there all year round either. :lol:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

haha i guess walmart is famous all over the world for its weird costumers. cant wait to see old people in funny outfits and clothes 3 sizes smaller!

oh nice thats pretty cool :) ill have to check all the shawarma places near my house... how much does a shawarma cost there? food sounds a lot cheaper over there.

ill have to work on my social skills a bit, but hopefully ill manage to make some friends too :)

im cherishing every moment i have right now

I just had to throw this in here... I was at Wal-Mart a while back and there was an old women sitting IN THE SHOPPING CART.. in the big basket part while a old man pushed her. She looked to be in her 60's. She was also sitting there eating donuts from the deli. Yes, I did discreetly take a picture... I mean would you go to the amazon and see a rare beast and NOT take a picture??? That rare moment had to be caught on film and shared with the world for close human study. Hey, I was only doing my job.... :-/

“You cannot enter heaven until you believe, and you will not truly believe until you (truly) love one another.” [Muslim, Al-Iman (Faith); 93]

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

church and football :rofl:

To the OP, a lot of the questions for which you'll receive answers will be totally different from your own experiences! I know moving here will be a LOT to take on, but it will be the fun part of your journey :) Maybe you don't need to know exactly everything that's coming, maybe you can just let some things happen naturally. Don't forget your spouse will be the most helpful person to you in terms of finding a job, friends, and getting a general feel for the area.

When my parents try to make me attend church with them I feel like the omen and vigorously try to claw my way out of the car... :-/ Be yourself, never admit to liking something you don't. ... you just might find yourself sitting inna church pew.

“You cannot enter heaven until you believe, and you will not truly believe until you (truly) love one another.” [Muslim, Al-Iman (Faith); 93]

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline

When my parents try to make me attend church with them I feel like the omen and vigorously try to claw my way out of the car... :-/ Be yourself, never admit to liking something you don't. ... you just might find yourself sitting inna church pew.

Trust me, my parents forced me to go to church until I was 12, I know the torture. I hated every moment of it and it creeped me out every time I went. The amount of people who do vile things in the name of God in this country is astonishing.

"A million years if I could live,
A thousand lives if I could give,
I would spend it all again with you,
Don't forget where you belong,
Only with me you are strong,
Not even the gods above can break,
Baby what we have"

Timeline

thanks for all the replies :) i was happy to read about all the experiences and all the useful information. good luck to all of you with your process!

✡♥✡

K-1 Visa (CSC) AOS (MSC)

26.1.2014 - Started dating ||||||||| 15.9.2015 - Applied for SSN

17.1.2015 - Met for the first time | 21.9.2015 - Received SSN

26.1.2015 - Got engaged ||| 16.10.2015 - Got Married

6.2.2015 - I-129F sent |||||||||| 11.11.2015 - AOS/EAD/AP sent

11.2.2015 - NOA1 |||||| 24.11.2015 - NOA1

26.2.2015 - NOA2 |||||| 2.12.2015 - Biometrics letter received

17.3.2015 - Case sent to Jerusalem consulate|||8.12.2015 - Biometrics

13.4.2015 - Packet 3 |||||||||| 11.12.2015 - Online RFE notice

28.6.2015 - Medical x

8.7.2015 - Interview - Approved! :luv: |||||||||||| x

31.7.2015 - Visa in hand ||||||| x

31.8.2015 - POE LAX x

is it hard to find a job in the US when you get your work permit? i speak english very well but i do have a noticeable accent, has your accent ever been an issue? I wouldn't be able to tell you on this since I came here at the age of 8 on a B-2 Visitor visa I overstayed. So I've been completely illegal for the past almost 17yrs, married a US citizen so going through my AOS. Luckily I have awesome bosses from Pakistan and Malaysia who gave me a job in auto insurance and have been working for them for almost 7 years. However I do have 2 sisters who have their work permits and one found a job quite easily since she was going to college to be a teacher. The other one hasn't had the best of luck but she has decided to wait to go back to job searching once she completes her AOS through her also US citizen husband.

i was thinking about learning spanish since the US has many spanish speakers and it will be a plus when trying to find a job, would that be a good idea? I'm from Mexico so I obviously know Spanish and I think it's a great idea to learn it. Where I work it's a lot of Mexicans so I need my Spanish daily.

is it hard to make new friends? did you search for people from your ethnicity/country that live nearby? or did you try to befriend anyone from the start? I was only 8 years old when I got here so I went to school here and been friends with many of my classmates since. But even now as an adult I've made friends through work quiet easily so I'm sure it won't be too hard.

what was the first thing you wanted to do when you moved to the US (besides things that have to do with the immigration process)? Honestly I can't remember since I was so small but I do remember looking at the lights on the highway when I first arrived and thought they looked like UFOs lol

how did your partners family react to you and to the marriage? were they interested in hearing about your country and culture? We met since high school and moved in together before we even got married. But when they found out I was illegal they took it fine, they just made jokes about it and still do. But they're Mexican as well so it wasn't that big of a deal.

and to those whove been in the US for a while - did you "bring your culture with you"? do you celebrate your countries holidays? cook the food you ate in your country? Like I said been here for almost 17 years and my family celebrates mostly the holidays here in the US, the Mexico ones not so much. But we celebrate most holidays with our Mexican traditions. My husband loves it when I make Mexican food since he was born and raised here and so were his parents so they're more tex-mex foods. Just like holidays for him are all with American traditions so when he goes to my house he gets to experience my full Mexican traditions.

do you feel different or like an outsider? do you feel like people treat you differently because youre not american? or do americans not care about that? I was so little but I do remember being at school and feeling sad knowing I had no papers and I was illegal. Specially in high school when most of my classmates began getting jobs and would talk about their vacations to Mexico and ask me when was the last time I had gone. I was always embarrassed to say I didn't have papers so I'd make excuses if I wasn't too close to them. Now, well I have lived here more than half my life so a lot of people are actually surprised when I tell them I'm Mexican and born there. I have many American customers that treat me great! One lady even hugs me every time she sees me at the office since I was gone for a while when I had my baby. Speaking of my baby, I've even had American and African-American customers take me presents for him! I think it all depends on your personality. I'm super outgoing, friendly and super talkative so it's not hard for me to get along with people.

Anyway congrats and good luck!

August 8, 1998 - Arrived in the USA with a B-2 Visitor Visa at the age of 8

Jan. or Feb. 2004 - Met my husband in front of the high school's cafeteria

May 2006 - My husband and I graduated high school and lost touch

September 2008 - Reconnected with my husband and began an on and off relationship.

June 8, 2012 - Moved in together

December 27, 2013 - Had our son

October 21, 2014 - Finally got married after putting it off for too long

June 2, 2015 - Sent AOS package

June 4, 2015 - Package received by USCIS

June 9, 2015 - Biometrics Fee Accepted

June 10, 2015 - Received Text that the package was received

June 16, 2015 - NOA1 Received

June 20, 2015 - EAD Biometrics Appointment Letter Received

June 22, 2015 - AOS Form I-485 Biometrics Appointment Letter Received

June 30, 2015 - Biometrics Done

August 7, 2015 - EAD/AP Approved and EAD status changed to Card Being Produced

August 17, 2015 - EAD/AP Card Was Mailed

August 20, 2015 - EAD/AP Card Received :dancing:

August 25, 2015 - Applied for SSN

September 1, 2015 - Got SSN from Mailbox might've been delivered earlier

September 3, 2015 - Applied for TX ID

September 16, 2015 - Received TX ID in mail

Oh and I'm in Texas, I know you said you wouldn't move to Texas, but it's not true that you should pretend to like football and church. I like football and my husband loves it, but that's just because since I grew up here I grew up with going to high school football games and all. I actually like football better than soccer, not so Mexican I guess lol

August 8, 1998 - Arrived in the USA with a B-2 Visitor Visa at the age of 8

Jan. or Feb. 2004 - Met my husband in front of the high school's cafeteria

May 2006 - My husband and I graduated high school and lost touch

September 2008 - Reconnected with my husband and began an on and off relationship.

June 8, 2012 - Moved in together

December 27, 2013 - Had our son

October 21, 2014 - Finally got married after putting it off for too long

June 2, 2015 - Sent AOS package

June 4, 2015 - Package received by USCIS

June 9, 2015 - Biometrics Fee Accepted

June 10, 2015 - Received Text that the package was received

June 16, 2015 - NOA1 Received

June 20, 2015 - EAD Biometrics Appointment Letter Received

June 22, 2015 - AOS Form I-485 Biometrics Appointment Letter Received

June 30, 2015 - Biometrics Done

August 7, 2015 - EAD/AP Approved and EAD status changed to Card Being Produced

August 17, 2015 - EAD/AP Card Was Mailed

August 20, 2015 - EAD/AP Card Received :dancing:

August 25, 2015 - Applied for SSN

September 1, 2015 - Got SSN from Mailbox might've been delivered earlier

September 3, 2015 - Applied for TX ID

September 16, 2015 - Received TX ID in mail

is it hard to find a job in the US when you get your work permit? When I first started looking for a job I signed up with a temp agency and they were able to find me a job fairly quickly. After a couple of years I was offered a full-time position and have worked for the same company ever since. i speak english very well but i do have a noticeable accent, has your accent ever been an issue? It has never been an issue for me. Most people tell me they don't even notice an accent and wouldn't know that I wasn't American if I hadn't told them. I work for a large international company, though, so I don't think anyone would blame you for having an accent.

i was thinking about learning spanish since the US has many spanish speakers and it will be a plus when trying to find a job, would that be a good idea? I guess that depends on the type of job you're looking for. I'm in Arizona and still don't speak a word of Spanish.

is it hard to make new friends? Once I started working I found some friends that way. did you search for people from your ethnicity/country that live nearby? I did not. I think there may be a few Danish clubs in Arizona but I just never felt the need to seek them out.

what was the first thing you wanted to do when you moved to the US (besides things that have to do with the immigration process)? My main focus was just getting adjusted to a completely new life on the other side of the world!

how did your partners family react to you and to the marriage? were they interested in hearing about your country and culture? My mother-in-law is European as well so I didn't really need to explain much about the Danish culture. I'm not all that close to my in-laws, though. We're very different people and don't have all that much to say to each other.

and to those whove been in the US for a while - did you "bring your culture with you"? do you celebrate your countries holidays? cook the food you ate in your country? Yes, I still cook Danish food, sometimes I'll buy Danish movies and we try to incorporate some of the Danish holidays into our life.

do you feel different or like an outsider? do you feel like people treat you differently because youre not american? or do americans not care about that? So far I haven't ever met an American who had a problem with me - or at least they never said anything if they did. :P

May 25, 2004: Got married in Denmark
June 8, 2004: Received passport with new last name
June 11, 2004: Went to the U.S. embassy in Denmark to file the I-130 and DS-230 - approved on the spot
June 18, 2004: Received letter of appointment plus packet 4
August 5, 2004: Interview at U.S. embassy - APPROVED!!!
August 19, 2004: Went back to the U.S. with my husband
May 27, 2006: Filed I-751
July 25, 2006: I-751 approved!

March 13, 2016: Filed I-90 for Permanent Resident Card renewal

March 22, 2016: Received letter of appointment for biometrics appointment

April 8, 2016: Biometrics appointment

September 21, 2016: I-90 approved

December 27, 2022: Filed N400 for US citizenship

December 27, 2022: Biometrics reused

February 2, 2023: Interview notice received

March 10, 2023: N400 approved 

March 10, 2023: Oath ceremony notice provided right after interview 

March 24: Oath ceremony 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.