WhiteFox

Quick Questions before I file...

15 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I'm getting my package ready to file in early August, and I was a bit worried about the evidence I have for our relationship, I'm afraid I have too little...Here's what I have so far:

• Tax transcripts for 2013, 2014 and 2015
  • Quarterly copies of our bank statements from our marriage to now showing joint ownership
  • Copies our of shared debit cards from same bank
  • Affidavit from our US citizen employer attesting to our employment and relationship
  • Affidavit from 2 US citizen friends attesting to our relationship
  • Copies of Christmas cards and packages showing addresses from friends and family
  • Various photos

I don't have any utilites in both of our names, just most in my name and one in his. Should I include those?

Our home is rented from my parents on their land. We don't have a written rent agreement since we have a good realtionship. Should my parents write one up anyway just to show them something, or is it not good evidence since they aren't a 3rd party?

Also, when sending copies of debit cards does anyone black out the numbers for security? Or does the USCIS not care..?

Thanks for your help, always appreciated.

Adjustment of Status from K1

• February 28, 2013 - I-485 and I-765 packet sent
• March 7, 2013 - Confimation email received with Case number

• April 25, 2013 - Online case status shows message that greencard has been approved and mailed.
• April 29, 2013 - Form I-797C NOA received in mail for I-485 and I-765, Biometric appointment also received
• May 9, 2013 - Biometrics appointment in Oxnard, CA
• May 13, 2013 - RFE for I-765 received in mail, requesting for physical address.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

Seems like you have enough relevant materials especially the joint account and i believe the joint tax returns.

I would suggest you have a write up from your parents mentioning the stay of you two their house and no written lease.

You might wanna black out all but the last 4 digits on the debit card copies if you are sending those too.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

What about insurance? Life insurances with eachother as beneficiary? Auto insurance?

Just so you know, affadavits are secondary evidence and are not primary. Basically, they're only useful if you have rock solid primary evidence usually financial evidence is best.

Utility bills are secondary evidence as well, but can't hurt including them.

Make sure you put details of where each photo was taken/date/who is in the photo.

Timeline

Arken, Happy Chic, Daveykins, thank you for your replies.

I can include those separate utilities, and I'll have my parents write an affidavit.

Unforutnantly I don't have any helpful car insurance info, he does not drive so he is not on my car insurance and he doesn't have a car or license. I wanted to put him down as co owner of our car when we bought it, but I had to apply for a loan with a co-borrower (not my husband) so the co-borrower had to be put down as the co owner instead of my husband.

I have Medi-Cal/CenCal health as my health insurance, and I have 2 identity cards with our names separately on each card. Would this be acceptable? The cards do not have our addressses on it and our names are not together.

• April 25, 2013 - Online case status shows message that greencard has been approved and mailed.
• April 29, 2013 - Form I-797C NOA received in mail for I-485 and I-765, Biometric appointment also received
• May 13, 2013 - RFE for I-765 received in mail, requesting for physical address.

Definitely use the utility bills showing different names but same address, the health insurance cards showing different names but same policy number and as you don't have a lease the affidavit of your living arrangement with your parents.

Can your husband get a state id from the dmv? Before I could get round to taking the test I got the state id so I didn't have to use my green card for id when buying alcohol. This way he has a dmv issued ID card that will be with same address as your drivers license.

K-1 Met:2002 Dating :2003 I-129F Sent : 2013-06-01 I-129F NOA2 : 2013-08-20 Medical: 2013-12-20 Interview Date : 2014-01-22 POE: 2014-02-19 Wedding: 2014-03-18

AOS/EAD Date Filed : 2014-04-04 BioAppt: 2014-05-13 EAD in Production: 2014-07-08 Interview date: 2014-07-14 Green Card received: 2014-07-19

ROC Date Filed: 2016-04-26 Cheque Cashed: 2016-05-10 NOA1: 2016-04-28 Biometrics: 2016-06-30 Approved: 11-08-2016 Green Card Received: 11-18-2016

Citizenship Date Filed: 2017-04-18 Cheque Cashed: 2017-04-24- NOA1:2017-04-21  Biometrics: 2017-05-19 Inline: 2017-07-12 Interview Date: 2018-02-13 Oath: 2018-03-15

Timeline

Happy Chic and Illira, I don't think my health insurance cards have a policy number on them, both cards have "ID Numbers" that are different for each of us. They look like THIS.

I can include the cards anyway, though.

I can definitely try to get a State ID, I have never thought of this before. Our file date would August 2nd, does it hurt to have filed a few weeks after that to allow the card to be mailed?

If August 2nd is at the beginning of your 90 day window to file, then it doesn't hurt to wait a little longer to get the ID. Since you don't have car insurance, what about other types of insurance e.g. home content insurance? Life insurance? 401K where he is a beneficiary? These are all good 3rd party documents to have. When we filed, we also included other "official" mail that was not necessarily addressed to both of us, but had the same mailing address on it, e.g. I include bills from health insurance, Social Security statements, my husband included his jury summons.

Timeline

JJbandero, yes August 2nd is the beginning of our 90 day window. Unfortunantly no, we have no other insurance at all, we haven't done much since our 2 years of getting married. We don't have a 401k and we are too young to get Social Security, and have not received any jury summons...

I'm worried that if I send what I have and I get an RFE I won't have much more to send. I can print more bank statements instead of quarterly ones, maybe? I can apply for a credit card, since I recently got an offer for one in the mail for us, would that help?

JJbandero, yes August 2nd is the beginning of our 90 day window. Unfortunantly no, we have no other insurance at all, we haven't done much since our 2 years of getting married. We don't have a 401k and we are too young to get Social Security, and have not received any jury summons...

I'm worried that if I send what I have and I get an RFE I won't have much more to send. I can print more bank statements instead of quarterly ones, maybe? I can apply for a credit card, since I recently got an offer for one in the mail for us, would that help?

I agree with the other poster, getting a credit card now would not be much help, however, in the long run it will be a good idea to help build credit history for your spouse.

While you can print more bank statements, if it's for the same account, it would not matter that much, just make sure you have recent ones included. Have you made any big purchases for the both of you from the account? For example, you took a trip somewhere? If so, perhaps you can include the itinerary, hotel stay receipts etc.

Getting a will and power of attorney done can be relatively easy and good to have in life anyway, you should look into that.

For clarification, the Social Security statements I mentioned were not for benefits received, I seem to get these statements that show how much I have contributed through my taxes, I believe it is for informational purposes and I held on to them.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Happy Chic and Illira, I don't think my health insurance cards have a policy number on them, both cards have "ID Numbers" that are different for each of us. They look like THIS.

I can include the cards anyway, though.

You can try to get a coverage verification letter from the insurance company or your employer (if you get health insurance through employment) that says you're both on the same policy. I'm on my husband's policy, but both of our insurance cards only have his name on them, so he got a letter from his employer verifying that I'm on his policy.

Timeline

JJbandero, I did stay at a hotel last year with him, but on my confirmation email it only has my name on it. Should I include this too, or are they only looking for things that have both our names on it?

Happy Chic, I will definitely look into making a will, thank you for pointing me in that direction.

Gilda, I'm unsure if I am able to do that for my insurance because what I have is government funded, not a private company and I'm not sure if that is available?

Filed: IR-5 Timeline

I believe when they finally get around to looking at your ROC petition, they pull your full file, so the officer will have everything that you ever submitted to USCIS. How was your AOS? When you went for AOS did you submit a lot of evidence back then?

When my wife file for ROC in 2012, we submitted some pictures, a letter from the credit card company showing we both were on the account, a letter from the assistant property manger for the place we were renting from since our one year lease expired and we were month-to-month, a couple of bank statements showing we had a joint savings account, and a couple of pictures from our honeymoon and the celebration that we had in my wife's birth country. Personally, I thought we didn't submit enough evidence at ROC, however, we submitted a bunch of evidence at AOS, that the officer at AOS said our case was an easy case and was able to approve it on the spot. SInce Vermont was backed up it took 9 months for the ROC to be reviewed, but when it was my wife got a letter in the mail saying it was approved and the new 10-year card came the next day.

Here is the information regarding the cases for my in-laws (wife, their daughter, is the petitioner under the IR-5 category, Parents of a USC):

Submit I-130 (2 petitions) to USCIS on May 30, 2013

USCIS approved the cases on March 10, 2014.

Received notice online from USCIS the cases were sent to NVC on March 17, 2014.

NVC received the cases on March 28, 2014

The case numbers were created on Monday, April 28.

We received the numbers by phone on Friday, May 2.

DS-261 became available on both cases late in the evening on Friday, May 2. Both DS-261 filed on Saturday, May 3.

Received emails to my wife regarding AOS at around 8am on Wednesday, May 7. At the same time received emails that were cc of letters sent to my in-laws. However, the date of all of the letters was Monday, May 5.

Received emails regarding the Immigrant Visa Fee at around 11:15am on Wednesday, May 7. IV fees became available online at around 1pm on Wednesday, May 7. Date of invoice was Tuesday, May 8.

Paid all the fees on Wednesday, May 7 at around 1:15pm.

All fees marked as paid and DS-260 become available sometime late on Friday, May 9.

Dropped off IV and AOS packages (in two different envelopes - 1 for AOS and 1 for IV documents) at the local post office at around 2pm on Saturday, May 10.

Submitted DS-260 (for both cases) around 10am on Sunday, May 11.

Both document packages received by NVC on Monday, May 12 (according to Post Office Tracking - one around 1pm and the other around 4pm. Don't know why they got separated.)

Received checklist email for both cases at 4pm on Thursday, June 12 regarding the IV civil documents

Wife called NVC in the afternoon of Friday, June 13 to inquire about the checklist. Told by a representative they are normal and automatic and not to worry. AOS under review. Call back after Tuesday, June 24.
Received a checklist for my father-in-law on Monday, June 16. NVC reviewed his AOS paperwork, but waiting for the documents the requested the week before.

Wife called NVC in the morning of Tuesday, June 17. Told by the agent they don't have the document requested for dad, and they don't have the AOS package for her mom.

Put in a request with our Senator to get more information. Response was mother-in-law is documentary complete and father-in-law was in document review for the military document.

Wife called NVC on the morning of Tuesday, July 1 and spoke with a supervisor regarding her dad's military document. Supervisor said she would look into it.

Supervisor called us and left a voicemail on the morning of Wednesday, July 9 and stated they have located my father-in-law's military documents. Case sent back to document review.

Per conversation with an agent, the expedited request originally requested by email on July 7, was sent to the Embassy on Thursday, July 10.

Received by postal mail on Thursday, August 21 from our Senator regarding the response of another inquiry. Still the same.

Early in the morning on Friday, August 22:

Wife calls the Embassy and was told the IV section doesn't accept calls, and was given a number in the states that turned out to be scheduling assistance for NIV interviews.

Called NVC as soon as they opened and was told the Embassy denied the expedite request, but the case was completed by NVC on Monday, August 18. Wife inquired about interview scheduling, and was given some good information.

At 5 PM on Thursday, September 11, received the interview letters. Interview is scheduled for the morning of October 9.

Mother-in-law approved. Father-in-law placed in Administrative Processing due to follow-up TB test.

CEAC stated ISSUED for my mother-in-law on October 15. DHL had the package for pick up on October 17 but called the wrong number. Package picked up on October 27.

On December 11 mother-in-law received a phone call from the Embassy that the medical is back for my father-in-law and to DHL his passport to them. Passport sent on December 12.

On December 18 CEAC updated to ISSUED for my father-in-law. My wife is happy!!!! Embassy said they gave it to DHL on December 19

Due to a DHL delay the package did not become available for pick up until December 24. USCIS Immigrant Fee paid the same day.

POE: JFK Terminal 1 - December 26, 2014 - They are finally here!!!

Took them to a local SSA office to get SSN on January 6, 2015. Cards received on January 10, 2015.

Green Cards received by priority mail on January 23, 2015 (four weeks after arrival).

Both went to motor vehicles and got state issued ID cards on April 11, 2015.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

You have much more than we submitted. We basically sent like 10 photos, and marriage cert. I think I may have sent joint tax return, possibly not though. We still don't have a bill in both our names, or joint bank accounts.

JJbandero, I did stay at a hotel last year with him, but on my confirmation email it only has my name on it. Should I include this too, or are they only looking for things that have both our names on it?

Happy Chic, I will definitely look into making a will, thank you for pointing me in that direction.

Gilda, I'm unsure if I am able to do that for my insurance because what I have is government funded, not a private company and I'm not sure if that is available?

It's better if it has both of your names on it or you can easily trace back to the fact that you were both there. For example, you have a jointed bank account, you paid for a trip using the joint account, you have hotel and airline receipts with your names and same destination, and you add pictures on top of that to tell a story of the two of you together and sharing finances. This is more of an indirect way, since you don't have some of the other direct examples of financial co-mingling.

You don't have to answer this question, I understand that the IOs look for red flags in the relationship, and it can be things like coming from vastly different religions, large age differences, not speaking the same language at all etc. If you have these flags, you need to prepared for a lot of scrutiny, if you don't, then the standard doesn't seem to be as high. There are examples of other members on this board who got approved without a ton of evidence.

Good luck

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Ok everyone! I've compiled everything I think we need so far and I'm in better shape then before I think:

• Copy of the tax statement for 2012, 2013 and 2014
  • Copies of our bank statements
  • Copies of utility bills
  • Copy of our visa cards showing a joint account
  • Copy of our health insurance cards
  • Copy of our joint lease
    Copy of driving record showing physical address
  • One sworn affidavit from our U.S. citizen employer, attesting to our relationship, marriage and employment
  • One sworn affidavit by our U.S. citizen friend, attesting to our relationship and marriage
  • Copies of Christmas cards from friends and family
  • Photos of us

I ran into an interesting problem and found a solution that hopefully would benefit someone else: On going to get a ID Card from the DMV (with the goal of getting the card with the physical address on it) the clerk said that we could NOT put down our physical address if our mailing address was different. Since we don't get mail at our physical we were forced to put down the PO Box, but she was able to print us out his driving record copy, which does show both mailing and physical addresses. The driving record is printed on DMV letterhead so I assume this would be a good document to show the USCIS as evidence. I hope this can help someone else too.

Thank you for all the help everyone, we really appreciate it! I'm going to send this off soon, so please wish me luck.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.