Daisy.Chain

SSN - 8 weeks and starting the process over again?

6 posts in this topic

We applied for my husband's SSN about 2 weeks after he arrived. They said not to come in until 4 weeks had passed. We called and checked several times and went in at 4 weeks. The SS office said that they needed his I-94 number. (Which we gave AND THEY MADE A COPY OF the first week). We forked it over again. He said that for some reason the application was "hung up in the system", he would send a document into homeland security, and that we should wait for their response letter. When we get the letter, it would be up to 4 weeks after that before getting the card.

We NEED the social security card for health benefits/job/bank/bills/even a library card! Has anyone ever had any experience with this? It is such a frustrating process! I'm picturing the application circling the bowels of the massive homeland security paperwork monster. My husband has never been in any kind of trouble, and our application was completed fully without RFE's. I suppose that if we had to wait for something, I'd prefer to be waiting on this end - married and together - but he can't sign up for even English classes or any of the plans we had made.

:crying::clock:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Has he adjusted status? If he hasn't that SSN is pretty worthless. It won't work for a job or health benefits. I think it's a waiting game though, sounds like you have a longer wait than normal.

• 3 weeks later...

hello,

sorry to hear about your SSN delay. We are in the same boat. We filed for SSN on June 30th and we were told that SSAdmnistration was waiting for homeland security to give the go ahead. Not having SSN didn't prevent my wife from being on my insurance. Not sure why that would be an issue for your insurance company. perhaps a company policy and not a law? Meanwhile, we are filing for AOS this week.

best of luck...

A lawyer will tell you to apply for SSN as soon as the immigrant arrives. I have seen people do this succesfully. I dont know why it's taking so long now to get approval.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.