reilena

Foreign Credential Evaluation Services

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello everyone!

Can anyone recommend an affordable college credential evaluation service that is recognized in the State of California?

I've googled it and there are a hundred recommendations but I notice that most of their sites don't show the actual prices. I also can't tell which ones are real and which ones are just being shady. Some also require that a sealed envelope containing my college records be sent directly to the agency which is next to impossible to do from where I'm from (graduated from a state university from a small town in Mindanao, Philippines where postal service is non-existent).

What are your experiences with this? Any recommendations? Your help is much appreciated! : )

Timeline

Awesome! that seems like a reasonable price.

Ugh, WES is pretty stringent about having the school send it to them though. It's really literally very difficult to do this from where I'm coming from.

Timeline

Hi Reilena!

I got my Bachelor's Degree in Manila and recently used the service of ECE.org (Educational Credential Evaluation, Inc).

My suggestion, whatever you do, DO NOT ENGAGE business with them because they are NOT familiar with the Philippine Education system!

I'll share you my experience, and hopefully you'll avoid the pitfalls and disappointments.

If you need your grade and GPA, they DO NOT know the right way of converting our grade system to the US grade scale.Here's why:

Usually in the Philippine and also in my college, we use the grades 1, 2, 3, and 5 therefore:

Phil Grade of: 1 converts to US Grade of A

2 which converts to US Grade of B

3 which converts to US Grade of C

5 (74% and below - Fail)

Note that we don't have a grade of D which is a Conditional Grade (in the US a student can have a Grade of 70% and still pass the course, thus he gets grade of D or conditional. THIS Grade do not exist in the Philippine college because of CHED mandate that NO College should allow conditional grade.

BUT ECE.org do not know this, so they inserted the GRADE D (conditional pass) in our grades, therefore the criterion moved down, sot that:

the Philippine grade of 1.5 becomes a B, which should be converted to A

the Philippine grade of 2 becomes a C, should be B

the Philippine grade of 3 becomes a D! (Imagine that? They give you a D or Conditional Grade even if you achieved a Grade of 82%)

I told them about the error, noting that this do not represent equivalent achievement. (Take note, other evaluators have a grade conversion scale and they do KNOW our Grade system)

Now, I have to contact my College to ask assistance on how to iron this out and have to file complain with BBB. So much hassle since we're now so far away from the Phils. I hope you'll be able to avoid this mess!

I paid for a Catalog Match report with ECE.org (which includes a US Bachelor's equivalency evaluation, GPA and catalog-to catalog matching of my baccalaureate courses with that of a local College here in Ohio. It's $260 but they charge for courier and copies etc, so I end up paying a total of $315. I paid more because it's a more detailed report (plus they charge courier and even printing), but if you only want to establish a US Bachelor's Degree equivalency then from what i've seen from several other evaluators - its' about $100, more or less.

Most of them really ask for a sealed envelop from your local college. You might need a favor from your family/friend to pick up the sealed transcript and send it via FedEX or UPS.

Hope you have better luck on this.

Edited by Chemmy

Timeline

Awesome! that seems like a reasonable price.

Ugh, WES is pretty stringent about having the school send it to them though. It's really literally very difficult to do this from where I'm coming from.

Suggestion: you may ask your College to seal the transcript inside their official envelope (with their address), then ask a friend/family to pick up that sealed envelop and mail it for you via FEDEX or UPS. It's a small investment for a very important document. Be sure to provide telephone numbers of your evaluator too (the couriers requires it).

That's what i did, and it worked for ECE.org - although their evaluation report is immensely flawed!

Timeline

Suggestion: you may ask your College to seal the transcript inside their official envelope (with their address), then ask a friend/family to pick up that sealed envelop and mail it for you via FEDEX or UPS. It's a small investment for a very important document. Be sure to provide telephone numbers of your evaluator too (the couriers requires it).

That's what i did, and it worked for ECE.org - although their evaluation report is immensely flawed!

OMG! That's such a brilliant idea!! I've never thought about that. And I'm totally noting about ECE. I hope they get yours sorted soon! I owe you a big cup of coffee someday soon!

Timeline

OMG! That's such a brilliant idea!! I've never thought about that. And I'm totally noting about ECE. I hope they get yours sorted soon! I owe you a big cup of coffee someday soon!

Good luck! :joy:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.