reilena

Previous Government Work

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello everyone!

I'm planning as far out as I can so when I move to LA with my future husband, I somehow will have a roadmap of my new career. I have 6 years experience working for the Philippine Government in various capacities for Cabinet Secretaries (I also worked in Malacanang) writing technical notes, doing research, preparing speeches, handling schedule and appointments, and taking notes during meetings. My work is very country-specific (i.e. Philippines) so I was wondering how would that equate to US qualifications (although my skills are universal).

I would still like to work for the public sector or in the realm of politics or developmental/humanitarian aid but I read somewhere that opportunities like that would mostly be in DC.

Would anyone kindly recommend what sort of jobs do you think I could qualify for in CA? Do I have to take some sort of civil service exam to be eligible for a government position?

Thank you! :)

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi,

Hope you are successful at finding a job you like.

Just a few words of caution. Some government jobs are restricted to US citizens. An LPR reported that he applied for one of these restricted jobs and had problems naturalizing because he was accused of making a false claim of US citizenship for applying for a job restricted to US citizens.

Best of luck

Timeline

Hi,

Hope you are successful at finding a job you like.

Just a few words of caution. Some government jobs are restricted to US citizens. An LPR reported that he applied for one of these restricted jobs and had problems naturalizing because he was accused of making a false claim of US citizenship for applying for a job restricted to US citizens.

Best of luck

wow really?! Okay, I'll be sure to verify when I apply for one. Thanks for the heads up! :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I say have the future husband do the work for you !

have future husband contact all of the Federal representatives and the 2 senators in your state and inquire about jobs in the offices for constituency support.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

I say have the future husband do the work for you !

have future husband contact all of the Federal representatives and the 2 senators in your state and inquire about jobs in the offices for constituency support.

Um really? That works??!?!?! Or are you being funny and I'm totally missing the punch line here T_T

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

i said 'contact'. then, of course, he must 'report back, when able' on each contact.

I was also specific with 'jobs in the offices for constituency support.'

So, your future husband SHOULD be able to get you a tonne of info, within the next three weeks, if'n he applies himself and can focus.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Lots of interns in such poistions

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I work for the County of Los Angeles and they hire both USCs & LPRs... depending on where you want to work (federal or state) and the department you want, country-specific experience shouldn't matter as long as you have great communication skills and applicable experience. However, trying to score a job equivalent to your previous one or something higher up the ranks might be a long shot. For government jobs, the trend is usually to start low and work your way up. But if your experience and/or skills are exemplary and you can back it up with testimonials or documentation, then you may be able to skip higher.

Many people here in L.A. County who immigrated from other countries carrying a Bachelor's usually start as clerks or assistants, then work their way up as they earn their Master's. Government jobs pay 20-40% lower than the private sector, but the healthcare and retirement benefits can;t be beat.

Good luck!

K1 Timeline:

02/28/2014 - I-129F Submitted
04/08/2014 - I-129F NOA2 Received

07/03/2014 - SLEC Medical Appointment 1 (Result: Sputum Culture)

09/18/2014 - SLEC Medical Appointment 2 (Result: Passed)

10/14/2014 - K1 Visa Interview (Result: Approved)

10/23/2014 - K1 Visa Issued

11/09/2014 - Entered USA (POE: Los Angeles)

01/02/2015 - Wedding Day

AOS Timeline:

03/02/2015 - I-485 Submitted (with I-765 & I-131)

03/13/2015 - I-485 NOA Received (with NOA for I-765 & I-131)

03/30/2015 - Biometrics Appointment Completed

05/12/2015 - I-785 & I-131 Approved

05/20/2015 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received

06/10/2015 - AOS Interview (Result: Approved)

06/18/2015 - Conditional Green Card Received

ROC Timeline:

05/15/2017 - I-751 Submitted 
05/26/2017 - I-751 NOA Received 
06/13/2017 - Biometrics Appointment Completed

07/18/2017 - Extension NOA Received (twelve month extension)
03/05/2018 - I-751 Received by Local Office
04/20/2018 - Infopass Appointment (Result: I-551 Stamp on Passport, six-month extension)

06/18/2018 - Extension NOA Received (eighteen month extension)

10/29/2019 - Infopass Appointment (Result: I-551 Stamp on new Passport)

11/06/2019 - I-751 Approved

11/14/2019 - Permanent Green Card Received

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I work for the County of Los Angeles and they hire both USCs & LPRs... depending on where you want to work (federal or state) and the department you want, country-specific experience shouldn't matter as long as you have great communication skills and applicable experience. However, trying to score a job equivalent to your previous one or something higher up the ranks might be a long shot. For government jobs, the trend is usually to start low and work your way up. But if your experience and/or skills are exemplary and you can back it up with testimonials or documentation, then you may be able to skip higher.

Many people here in L.A. County who immigrated from other countries carrying a Bachelor's usually start as clerks or assistants, then work their way up as they earn their Master's. Government jobs pay 20-40% lower than the private sector, but the healthcare and retirement benefits can;t be beat.

Good luck!

Hi! My husband and I worked for the City of Los Angeles. It was a great opportunity. Once a USC, it'll open more doors like USCIS. ?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Reilena,

You can also apply for positions at DMV.

Bit of an insult

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Good luck!

that makes sense. Thank you!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.