MonicaCO

Point of Entry through Pearson Airport

12 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello all....

Has anyone made their point of entry to the US by flying out of Toronto airport? What is the procedure? Where do I have to go and how much time should I leave since I'd have to clear customs before getting on the plane? Any advice?

Thanks

Give it 2 hours. Most customs don't allow you to go through before that, but you can try an hour earlier if customs is known to be long.

When you get up to the CBP officer you'll hand them your immigration package (the do not open envelope) and your passport. You'll inform them you are immigrating to the USA and they'll take you to secondary inspection. They'll do their thing and make you give them a fingerprint and signature (which will end up on the hard copy green card.) They'll stamp your visa and write IR1 or CR1 (depending on your visa and marriage date) and then write a date that is 1 year from the date you are entering. That is how long the temporary green card is valid until.

Now you've immigrated... Congrats!

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Good to know!

Calgary has a huge sign that says "Do not enter until 2 hours before your flight!"

They literally tell you to go away until that time and check your boarding pass.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

I've had one time that I was sent to secondary, and even though I had left 3 hours ahead, I almost missed my flight because they took soooooooooo long to get to me. And I've also had another time that they wouldn't let me even into customs until 1 1/2 hours before my flight so I was having a panic attack that if they hauled me into secondary, I would miss my flight.

Thanks NLR.... That's what I expect to happen but wondered if anything had changed.

I'm resigned to the rest of the wait but getting really really excited to be Colorado bound this fall and getting on with my life with my wonderful hubby.

Timeline

Colorado is the best!.....besides having my awesome husband there, of course. I feel so blessed every time I walk out of the grocery store and there, right in front of me, are mountains.....or go for my morning walk, or open my front door. I cry every time I take off and have to slowly watch the mountains disappear.

If all goes well, I hope to be on my way before the end of October.

Timeline

NLR: You made a post a while ago about changing driver's licenses in Colorado....can you direct me to that post please or let me know what needs to happen there please?

NLR: You made a post a while ago about changing driver's licenses in Colorado....can you direct me to that post please or let me know what needs to happen there please?

I waited until I got my hard copy green card but you don't need to. You need proof of living in Colorado (like a bank statement or utility bill), your green card, and your SSN. (If you're K1 you can use your EAD.) Then you can make an appt online (hopefully) for a specific time to get your license at a DMV that does driver's licenses. Not all of them do online appointments or driver's licenses so just be aware. I made an appointment because otherwise you can sit there for HOURS waiting, especially in the summer when it's packed full of kids getting their learners. I just picked "new driver" or something to that effect as the reason I wanted the appointment.

The issue I had for me was my SAVE database was incorrect so I had to go to the Department of Revenue on a specific day to get that fixed. It was fixed right away but the DMV won't change anything until you get a letter saying it's fixed. It takes 4-6 weeks for that. So check at the SSA office if your name is correct in the SAVE database. They may be able to fix it there so you don't need to go to the DMV and the whole 9 yards. It's possible that you won't have an issue though either, which hopefully you don't.

I live in the SE side of Denver metro so I can't see the mountains on a daily basis. My husband gets to though as he works at Centennial Airport and the tower there gives a great view.

The nice part about a Colorado license is that you can exchange your Canadian license like an out of state license vs starting over.

Just be aware some of the rules here are different so it's a good idea to read up about them.

Timeline

Thanks NLR.... I just printed that post for my file so that when I get to that stage I'll have something to remind me what you said. I am pleased that it will be just a straight exchange of licenses.

I know where south metro Denver is..... I'll be in north Boulder. I can walk to the municipal airport from our place.

I'm just finishing up the last of the papers to be sent to NVC and walking to the post office shortly. Hopefully, we don't get any requests for further information and I can get my interview appointment as soon as possible....but, realistically, I know it will be early October at the earliest. My Mom is going to fly down with me so I'll be able to take most of my lighter important things with us. She'll stay several weeks and meet my hubby and see where I'm going to be living. We'll also get to tour around a bunch too.

Let me know if I can send you a pm somehow please. I'd like to stay in touch.

As with all things in this long long process, I remain, patient....

sure no problem. you can PM me.

I'm actually in Southern Aurora close to Olympic Park.

Seems south metro denver to me. LOL

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.