kareelina

A permission from my kids' father ?

17 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi VJ

My US husband filed IR-1 visa forms for me and my two kids"from my ex husband" I am the one who raising them , my ex has nothing to do with them neither financially nor emotionally , may be it is still early for my question , but at the time of the interview do I need a permission from my ex to take my kids with me bare in mind he is the one who issued their passports , as here in Egypt the authorities never allow a divorced wife to issue passports for her own children , but issuing passports by the father is a proof of his approval to travel anywhere, anybody has the same issue , please tell me what to do ?

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hi VJ

My US husband filed IR-1 visa forms for me and my two kids"from my ex husband" I am the one who raising them , my ex has nothing to do with them neither financially nor emotionally , may be it is still early for my question , but at the time of the interview do I need a permission from my ex to take my kids with me bare in mind he is the one who issued their passports , as here in Egypt the authorities never allow a divorced wife to issue passports for her own children , but issuing passports by the father is a proof of his approval to travel anywhere, anybody has the same issue , please tell me what to do ?

Its would be best to contact the embassy asking this question directly to them. In the embassies I know of you would need a letter from him but this is so critical you must ask them I think.

Egypt can be difficult so getting this understood & done early would be a very good idea.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I would echo Ning, the consulate is going to follow Egyptian laws here so it is likely you will need some form of permission from your ex-husband so asking the consulate would be a good first step.

Possibly one of the moderators could be move this to the regional discussion for Egypt as someone might have direct experience.

Timeline

I would echo Ning, the consulate is going to follow Egyptian laws here so it is likely you will need some form of permission from your ex-husband so asking the consulate would be a good first step.

Possibly one of the moderators could be move this to the regional discussion for Egypt as someone might have direct experience.

I bet you are right , because most of the people working in the embassy are Egyptian ,

Timeline

I bet you are right , because most of the people working in the embassy are Egyptian ,

Yes many employees in consulates around the world are locals but the decision makers are all US govt officers/citizens. And while immigration to the US is governed by US law, the consulate is not going to ignore Egyptian laws on child custody which is likely governed first by international treaty. However, based upon your statement about their passports, it appears Egyptian law favors the father which means you need to better understand Egyptian law. Happy to help.

Timeline

Yes many employees in consulates around the world are locals but the decision makers are all US govt officers/citizens. And while immigration to the US is governed by US law, the consulate is not going to ignore Egyptian laws on child custody which is likely governed first by international treaty. However, based upon your statement about their passports, it appears Egyptian law favors the father which means you need to better understand Egyptian law. Happy to help

The Egyptian law doesn't allow the divorced mother to keep the kids if she remarries in case the ex husband claim to take the kids , but in my case my ex knew that I would get married actually I've been married for 4 years now and he never claimed to take the kids, and my husband is the one who takes care of them.

But the Egyptian law is always by the father's side .

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi,

Being Egyptians has nothing to do with this. The U.S. Embassy under international law must follow local laws on child custody and passports. The Egyptian employees are not using their judgments, they are following the law as instructed by their U.S. Government employer.

Timeline

***One non-responsive post removed. Either post constructively or do not post; additional non-constructive posting will not be tolerated.***

~~~Because the OP's questions is directly related to the process, the thread has not been moved. However, I went to the MENA regional forum and posted a link to this thread and asked if anyone had any knowledge about Egyptian family law and how it pertains to the OP's situation, the sharing of their knowledge would be greatly appreciated.~~~

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Hi VJ

Obtaining a passport is not the same as giving permission to travel and you cannot take the children out of the country without his permission.

You are going to want a document that clearly states he is aware of your intentions to take the children out of the country for immigration purposes, and that he agrees to it.

Then you're going to have to hope he doesn't get stupid - right up until the plane departs.

This is not something you want to do yourself. Get a lawyer.

Timeline

Obtaining a passport is not the same as giving permission to travel and you cannot take the children out of the country without his permission.

You are going to want a document that clearly states he is aware of your intentions to take the children out of the country for immigration purposes, and that he agrees to it.

Then you're going to have to hope he doesn't get stupid - right up until the plane departs.

This is not something you want to do yourself. Get a lawyer.

Thanks a lot for your reply , but even when we decided to get divorced , we did it peacefully , no lawyers no courts at all , he didn't even pay me anything after divorce and I asked for nothing because that's the reason for divorce, not shouldering any financial responsibility towards me or the kids. He doesn't even know how the kids look like . Now the question is , where to go to get that document and it should be notarized , Do we go to Ministry of Justice , or Family court , or get a lawyer . And if he did that and sign that documents , does the Egyptian law give me that right or not . I don't have a clue about the law related to family affairs, because as I said we divorced peacefully .

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Thanks a lot for your reply , but even when we decided to get divorced , we did it peacefully , no lawyers no courts at all , he didn't even pay me anything after divorce and I asked for nothing because that's the reason for divorce, not shouldering any financial responsibility towards me or the kids. He doesn't even know how the kids look like . Now the question is , where to go to get that document and it should be notarized , Do we go to Ministry of Justice , or Family court , or get a lawyer . And if he did that and sign that documents , does the Egyptian law give me that right or not . I don't have a clue about the law related to family affairs, because as I said we divorced peacefully .

It doesn't seem that Egyptian law is going to be the problem because the father is willing to do what he needs to do.

Why not ask the embassy for a sample of what they require ?

Timeline

It doesn't seem that Egyptian law is going to be the problem because the father is willing to do what he needs to do.

Why not ask the embassy for a sample of what they require ?

NVC still processing our visa , but I need to get everything ready for not wasting more times, The embassy here never answer any inquiry via phone calls , I have to book an appointment but I don't have any documents with me now to prove that my husband applied for the visa, as they haven't got alerted yet , so they will tell me nothing.

None of that matters. Legally, he's the father and he has rights - and one of those rights is preventing the children from leaving the country if that's what he wants to do, for whatever reason. You aren't going to find a document like what you'll need already prepared. Instead, you will have to have one made. Again, this is not something for you to do yourself. Get a lawyer.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.