mark-n-daisy

Outside country security clearance

27 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Has anyone had to obtain a security clearance form Singapore? My fiance lives in Cebu and had worked in Singapore for a couple years. They tell her she can't do it in Cebu and that she has to go to the Singapore embassy in Manila to file the request. It takes 3 weeks and will cost 3150 php ($74). To me that's sound like a lot of money. Anybody else agree?

Hi mark your girl has to get a COC from singapore just like my wife did but what a hassle getting first philpost lost the police clearance then when i inquired about replacing it your looking at like 6 weeks getting another in the mail i couldn't wait so i had to send my wife back to Singapore to which she had to wait 21 days to get what a nightmare i would call the singaporean embassy in manila first but good luck

Hi mark your girl has to get a COC from singapore just like my wife did but what a hassle getting first philpost lost the police clearance then when i inquired about replacing it your looking at like 6 weeks getting another in the mail i couldn't wait so i had to send my wife back to Singapore to which she had to wait 21 days to get what a nightmare i would call the singaporean embassy in manila first but good luck--- my wife's cost $60 sg dollars

Edited by teddy k

Timeline

problem with COC in Singapore is you need to use Singapore $$$ through the mail. If you don't have someone to help you in Singapore, you have to make a trip there. I did just that with my fiancee and you will be successful

Here's the devil in the details.

If a country's PC is no longer issued (Singapore states on their website such), especially to non-citizens, then USEM will wave that requirement. But, your dealing with a two edge sword here and that is you need to find out from the Embassy, if Singapore is a country that USEM does not require a PC. Because if you read further it states that Singapore will do a PC if you can produce a letter from the authority (USEM) requesting the PC. But if you go over to the Department of State and find what Singapore's Reciprocity Schedule is, it states that you can get a clearance with no mention that non-Singaporean citizens are disallowed from receiving such document as it states on the Singapore Police Force (SPF) website.

Here is what the Embassy letter states:

OTHER COUNTRY POLICE CERTIFICATES. Applicants aged 16 years and older must also present police certificates from other countries where they have lived for six (6) months or more after reaching age 16. As with NBI clearances, foreign police certificates should be obtained in any maiden names, aliases or nicknames used while in the country in question, including different spellings you have used of those names. Country-specific information on how to secure police certificates is available on the State Department’s website at http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/fees/reciprocity-by-country.html.

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/manila/1178798/feb2015/K1-K2%20Applicant%20Interview%20Preparation%20Instructions%20-%20English%20_February%202015_.pdf

To lessen your load and anxiety and if it were me I would follow the instructions on the US Department of State website. Less time and less money.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline

The USEM does not wave Police Clearance from Singapore. It is available as per reciprocity schedule. It is difficult to get through the mail as I stated in earlier post. Unless you find a way to get a Bank check from a Singapore affiliated bank, in Singapore $$$$. They do not accept any other form of payment through the mail. That was the hang up that forced a trip to Singapore.

Timeline

Here's the devil in the details.

If a country's PC is no longer issued (Singapore states on their website such), especially to non-citizens, then USEM will wave that requirement. But, your dealing with a two edge sword here and that is you need to find out from the Embassy, if Singapore is a country that USEM does not require a PC. Because if you read further it states that Singapore will do a PC if you can produce a letter from the authority (USEM) requesting the PC. But if you go over to the Department of State and find what Singapore's Reciprocity Schedule is, it states that you can get a clearance with no mention that non-Singaporean citizens are disallowed from receiving such document as it states on the Singapore Police Force (SPF) website.

Here is what the Embassy letter states:

OTHER COUNTRY POLICE CERTIFICATES. Applicants aged 16 years and older must also present police certificates from other countries where they have lived for six (6) months or more after reaching age 16. As with NBI clearances, foreign police certificates should be obtained in any maiden names, aliases or nicknames used while in the country in question, including different spellings you have used of those names. Country-specific information on how to secure police certificates is available on the State Department’s website at http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/fees/reciprocity-by-country.html.

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/manila/1178798/feb2015/K1-K2%20Applicant%20Interview%20Preparation%20Instructions%20-%20English%20_February%202015_.pdf

To lessen your load and anxiety and if it were me I would follow the instructions on the US Department of State website. Less time and less money.

Thanks for all the great advice. So the real question now is will the US embassy waive the requirement? Has anyone been successful in finding that out? The embassy is closed right now and my fiance has tickets to go to Manila on Monday.

The USEM does not wave Police Clearance from Singapore. It is available as per reciprocity schedule. It is difficult to get through the mail as I stated in earlier post. Unless you find a way to get a Bank check from a Singapore affiliated bank, in Singapore $$$$. They do not accept any other form of payment through the mail. That was the hang up that forced a trip to Singapore.

:no: Sorry but if you read what the Department of State's website states (see below) you can pay with other means. Before commenting please read the links as they will verify everything that I pointed out to the OP. In the end, it's his decision and I just presented the land minds he is going to encounter with a Singaporean PC. I never told him that he could do X or Y that decision is his to make.

I still stand by my recommendation and that is to follow the Dept. of States instructions as they are quite complete and they are a US entity, closely in step with US Embassy's.

Remember :diablo: in the details.

As I said in my post, the OP should follow the instructions contained within the Dept. of State whereupon reading, it states the necessary requirements. I also included the instructions from the Embassy letter which are the requirements for USEM stating one is needed if blah blah blah are met (you can read it) and not all country's will accommodate USEM's requirements and therefore they are waived for that country.

"Applicants residing overseas should submit their applications (original) addressed to: Head Criminal Records, CID ( COC ), Blk D Police Cantonment Complex, #02-07/08, 391 New Bridge Road , Singapore 088762.

Processing time for each application is about 10 working days.

Processing fee is S$55.00 per application. Payment can be made by cash, NETS , cash card, or credit cards (VISA/MASTERCARD) for walk-in application. Application sent by post (from overseas) must be accompanied by a bank draft made payable to ‘Head Criminal Records CID ’ through a Singapore-based bank. In addition to the processing fee, a postage fee of S$5.00 must be included in the payment (total S$50.00) if the COC is to be mailed. Payment is non- refundable once the application is accepted."

There is a bank in the Philippines (which one slips my mind) that can accommodate the payment procedures as asked by SPC.

Edited by Greenbaum
Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Removal of Conditions

Timeline

Thanks for the info Paul. It must be true since you just went through all that last month. I really want to avoid the same nightmare you went through so I'll just pay their extortion fee. It's a shame how much power each embassy has and they can life miserable for those at their mercy. Congrats on getting her visa and good luck in your marriage.

Timeline

http://www.police.gov.sg/epc/cert_issued.htm?_ga=1.258684170.1873169908.1397914723

This is where information that is correct for COC in Singapore.

My research is accurate no matter what someone says. I used Dept of State Reciprocity page for Singapore.

There is no other payment through the mail other than Singapore $$$. It's stated very clearly at website.

Timeline

http://www.police.gov.sg/epc/cert_issued.htm?_ga=1.258684170.1873169908.1397914723

This is where information that is correct for COC in Singapore.

My research is accurate no matter what someone says. I used Dept of State Reciprocity page for Singapore.

There is no other payment through the mail other than Singapore $$$. It's stated very clearly at website.

My fiance tells me she called the Singapore Embassy and they told her she can pay the required fee in Singapore $ through BPI Bank. I hope she's right.

Timeline

I hope i am not hijacking your thread but I have a very similar question. My fiancee was in the U.S. after the age of 16 (that was the only other country she has ever visited). Do we need a police certificate for the U.S. for her? If so, where would we obtain that?

I hope i am not hijacking your thread but I have a very similar question. My fiancee was in the U.S. after the age of 16 (that was the only other country she has ever visited). Do we need a police certificate for the U.S. for her? If so, where would we obtain that?

As a former citizen of the US she will not need a PC.

"Note: Present and former residents of the United States need NOT obtain any U.S. police certificates"

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/submit/documents-to-submit-to-nvc.html

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

Timeline

She came as a k2 recipient when she was younger but her dad (a real piece of work) never adjusted her status so she had to return to Philippines. She was never a citizen. Does that change anything?

She came as a k2 recipient when she was younger but her dad (a real piece of work) never adjusted her status so she had to return to Philippines. She was never a citizen. Does that change anything?

No she will not need a PC from USA. I refer back to my original post "former residents" is what she is so she will not need one. They have access to all criminal databases so they would know if there are any existing problems that would concern getting a visa.

Now you have another issue and that is the questions that will be asked of her, you or her mother when they go through their interview as the CO will have questions about the history. Just remember to be truthful, look the CO in the eye when answering and don't volunteer information that is not asked as this can open a new "can of worms".

Edited by Greenbaum
Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

Timeline

What questions would I expect them to ask her mother I don't follow you? Her mother was the k1 and lives in California. She divorced from her American husband which left all of the k2 children (3 in total) without a way to adjust status so they returned to Phils. My fiancée was 21 at the time (30 now). Let me know what to expect. I will be there for the interview in Manila with her.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.