Chemmy

Caution on Educational Credential Evaluators - ECE.org

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

For those of you looking for work or going back to school, I'd like to share you a personal experience with ECE.org who evaluated my Bachelors Degree.

I paid for a Catalog Match report, where you get your US Bachelor's equivalency evaluation, units conversion, grades and a matching report of my courses to that of the College/University where you intend to enroll. Fee: $315 total

After having to deal with the difficulty of getting a sealed official transcript of records (should be issued within a year) from my College in the Philippines, I finally received the ECE evaluation after about three weeks, well within their timeline!

Good? Horrible!!

They did got it right in their report that my Philippine Bachelor's Degree is equivalent to that of the US Bachelor's counterpart, but the grade conversion is entirely wrong!

Note that in doing the equivalency, these evaluators are suppose to be looking for an equivalent/ similar academic achievement, but these people disregarded the College Transcript Key that's suppose to help them align the grades and properly convert them.

i.e:

US Grade of A converts to 1

US Grade of B converts to 2

US Grade of C converts to 3

US Grade of D (Conditional Pass) do not have an equivalent grade in the Philippines

US Grade of F converts to 5

They tried to squeeze in the Grade of D which messed up the range, so that a grade of 1.5 which should convert to an A becomes a B, a grade of 2 becomes a C instead of a B, a grade of 3 becomes a D and so forth!

Turns out they did not know that in the Philippines there is no Conditional Grade, therefore NO equivalent Grade of D exists.

You paid for their service which they claim they're an expert, but they did not do their research.

In the Philippines, the CHED (Commission on Higher Education) specifically express in their MORPHE (Manual on Regulations for Private Higher Education) that no student should be given a conditional pass, that is, you get full credit for it or you fail and repeat the course.

Tried calling them and you just gets transferred to the evaluator's voice mail - unfortunately all the time!

In his email he expressed complete disregard to sourcing out an official credible source (which should have been contacting my Philippine College and/or CHED to clarify grades) which should make his report accurate and unbiased.

Word of Caution: Make sure you know credible source from your University who can back you up when things like this happen with any credential evaluator, specially with ECE.org

Edited by Chemmy

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

everyone has a boss. find his/her boss, complain and fix.

<EOM>

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

I have a question also:

I have a Masters Degree from a UK university is it advisable that I have it evaluated being that accredited US/Canada and UK universities function at roughly the same standards?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have a question also:

I have a Masters Degree from a UK university is it advisable that I have it evaluated being that accredited US/Canada and UK universities function at roughly the same standards?

If just depends.

If it for a Professional License then the state board will usually have Credential Evaluation companies that they will only accept information from.

If it for going back to school ,then usually the school will have their list of CE companies

I

• 2 years later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

I also used ECE and found them very unsatisfactory. Trying to communicate with the organisation was not easy. I had to send the first results back as they had spelling errors and said I studied in a country I had never even visited! I'd not recommend using them at all.

event.png

event.png

Nothing has a stronger influence psychologically on their environment and especially on their children than the unlived life of the parent. - Carl Jung

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.