1 post in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello.

I'm on F-1 student visa and got married. My wife and I are going to file our applications concurrently. I have several questions regarding form I-864. My wife works for her mom. Her mom owns a dog grooming shop. So, it's family business. My wife considered self-employed independent contractor. She does not make enough to support me, so we are using a joint sponsor who is my wife's grandfather. I know that she does not qualify and it does not really matter what we write in there but I just want to fill the form as proper as possible. My questions are the following:

1) My wife has a copy of her 1040 tax return and form 1099. Should we use Line 22 "Total Income" or Line 37 "Adjusted Gross Income" form form 1040? On line 22 it says $8,920. On Line 37 it is $5,890.

2) What should we put as her "Current Individual income?" Should we put her income from 2014 (either line 22 or 37 from 1040 for 2014)?

3) About a joint sponsor. Her grandfather get social security and also works at a bank. Him and his wife file a joint tax return. I asked her to fill out I-864a for me. The thing is that their social security is not fully taxable so, only a small part of it is reported on Line 22. Their social security is reported on Line 20a. Their social security income on line 20a is $36,164. The taxable amount of it on lin e20b is $4,375. On line 22 (total income 1040) is says $26,989. That $26,989 is his income from bank + the taxable amount social secutiry of both of them. Should we take the whole amount of social security which is 36,164 - 4,375(taxable amount) +26,989(how much he made+taxable social security). It gives me the number of $58, 778. Is this the amount we should put in Part 6 of I-864 for 2014 total income?

4). What should we wriet in join sponsor's current individual income? Should we take his last year personal social security income + the amount of money he made at his job from the beginning of 2015 to July 3, 2015 which is reflected on his pay stub he gave me? On the pay stub for two weeks it says : Gross Pay - $ 1,430; Net Pay - $1,158. Which amount should I use Gross or Net? Should I just take one of these and multiply by 2(two pay checks a month) and multiply that amount by 12(12 months a year) + his personal social security income for 2014? Is that calcualtion gonna work for his current individual income?

Thank you,

Your answers would be greatly appreciated.

Alex

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.