angel_l

AOS interview: documents needed to prepare

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

We didn't submit anything, I wouldn't worry too much. Like someone else said you could always get something from friends and family, or photos together when you were already here. I think you are over worried, unless you have red flags which is hard for us to know you didn't provide the country you are coming from which could be a red flag in itself.

Yeah, I'm just worrying too much, because we were thinking to wait to get a state ID to be in my married name at once, so that we don't have to pay the fee again to change from my maiden name to my married name. So that's why I was panicking yesterday, because I've read from all the experiences of the people who entered on a K1 visa and got married in the US, they all have submitted joint accounts, finances, or as beneficiary of insurance, or at least utility bill that has both their names on. I feel relieved now knowing that EAD will be received 2 months earlier than the interview. By the way, I'm from the Philippines. :)

Filed: Timeline

For AOS it is not that crucial to have a long list of co mingling evidence, however why not add what you can to avoid any potential issues ?

For ROC you must have that long list so start soon not at the last minute.

I don't care for dental plans and gym cards either but I sure will do what I have to in order to be approved.

Being thrifty is one thing and being denied is another......then he would have to start over with the high fee again.

In the end it's not thrifty, it's walking on the edge.

Yes, I agree with everything you say. Currently, it seems like I don't exist here because I don't have an ID except for passport. I can't do anything without an ID. I also want to apply for a library card, but state ID is also a requirement. At least I feel so relieved now knowing that EAD will be delivered first.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Yeah, I'm just worrying too much, because we were thinking to wait to get a state ID to be in my married name at once, so that we don't have to pay the fee again to change from my maiden name to my married name. So that's why I was panicking yesterday, because I've read from all the experiences of the people who entered on a K1 visa and got married in the US, they all have submitted joint accounts, finances, or as beneficiary of insurance, or at least utility bill that has both their names on. I feel relieved now knowing that EAD will be received 2 months earlier than the interview. By the way, I'm from the Philippines. :)

You will be fine, Philippines is really low on the radar. My wife and I didn't submit photos when we filed for k1, and other than marriage certificate we didn't submit anything else for AOS. We didn't receive an interview. Is it good to submit as much as possible? yes, but my wife didn't take my name, we have no bills together or joint bank accounts. You probably just got randomly selected for an interview. Don't freak out if at sometime you get a denial letter also, it may just mean you need to submit something else to make them happy. Its a slow process but everything I have seen has lead me to believe it is quite fair.

For AOS it is not that crucial to have a long list of co mingling evidence, however why not add what you can to avoid any potential issues ?

For ROC you must have that long list so start soon not at the last minute.

I don't care for dental plans and gym cards either but I sure will do what I have to in order to be approved.

Being thrifty is one thing and being denied is another......then he would have to start over with the high fee again.

In the end it's not thrifty, it's walking on the edge.

:thumbs: I agree. Evidence for the AOS is certainly important, but USCIS knows that you have been married for only a short time. Get what you can showing you are legitimately married (photos of wedding, friends, etc). The will is a great idea and it will help with the ROC process. The ROC is where you need a lot of proof of co-mingling of assets...Joan and I are filing for that process in August...

Good luck.

Mahalo/Salamat!

Steve and Joan
Met on Facebook 2/24/12
Met in person 6/5/12
Second visit 10/2/12
Engaged 10/3/12
NOA10/15/12
Third visit 12/10/12
Joan got her passport! 2/20/13
NOA2 4/24/13
Fourth visit 5/28/13
CFO 5/30/13
Embassy Interview APPROVED 6/6/13

Joan passed through immigration in Hawaii! She's home! 6/13/13

MARRIED 8/24/13

AOS, EAD and AP petitions sent to Chicago via Express Mail

EAD/AP Received 11/13/13

AOS Interview APPROVED 11/26/13

2-year Green Card in hand 12/5/13

ROC (I-751) sent to CSC via USPS Express Mail 8/31/15

ROC check cashed 9/4/15

ROC Biometrics 10/1/15

ROC Approval 4/6/16 (waiting for actual card)

Permanent Green Card Arrived 4/14/16
Naturalization Interview 2/22/17 APPROVED!

Oath Ceremony 3/21/17--Joan is a US Citizen!

Dual Citizenship 7/7/22 Joan is now a Dual US/Filipino Citizen!

Kayak small lagoon crop 10 72 for VJ.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.