nickoxxy

bonafide RFE after n-400 interview

2 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My wife had successfull interview based on 3 years rule on May 4th, 2015 at Chicago Field Office. She had all the bonafide paperwork with her (also n-400 has ben sent along with required papers), but the officer even didn't bother to ask her. And guess what? Exactly 1 month later we got RFE for bonafide documentation :devil: needed + my Canadian DL with the explanation why I'm in Canada. Why did he assume that I'm in Canada - have no clue. I've been in the US since I arrived in 2005, only was visiting my wife when she was there as a PR in Canada. The only thing I can think of it: in 2009 when my wife was visiting me, she had my Canadian PR with her (at that time we had plans for me to go to Canada), and BPO in Detroit (hate this POE at all) found this. But I had no problems with that either at my citizenship interview or after. Still don't understand why am I asked for my Canadian ties, if based on all info that USCIS has - I'm in the US and always have been here.

Anyways, we submitted all the paperwork required (it should have been asked for by the officer at the time of the interview, not afterwards) with detailed explanation for each submitted item. Unfortunately, we only have 1 checking joint account and 2 separate savings and my lease is only on my name. My wife pays for the Comcast and I pay for ComEd as well.. At our previous residence I only paid for the Internet+rent and our lanlord was paying for all the utilities.

We had some other docs with our names displayed jointly as well.

So, the paperwork was sent in on 6/22/15, received on 6/25/15. Since it's been received - no updates for status on-line (at least that was received). Made INFOPASS for 7/08/15, basically was waste of the time and money - had to call off :devil: . The receiptionist lady confirmed receiving, but she also said that documentation has never been touched since. She made a note on that and said she would be informing the officer who counducted the interview. Today, one week later - still no updates on line :clock: . Calling USCIS gave the same info.

I guess, my wife just had a bad luck with the officer, who, according to my wife, was almost falling asleep during the interview. It looks like that person didn't care at the time of interview for bonafide docs and continues on now. I know, we're at the mercy of USCIS, but I'm kinda getting pissed the way they handle it. One mistake from the officer causes the chain reaction, and the only thing these "guys" can say "We appologize and bla-bla-bla..." So get it fixed quickly, if this is your mistake.

Has anybody else had some bad experience like our case and what was the outcome and the wait time after RFE? I know, each case is specific, but still it would give me at least some idea what to expect?

Thank you, guys, and waiting for some feedback and info.

Filed: Timeline

I share your opinion of the Detroit crossing. We (both of us green card holders) were profiled and harassed there for no reason when returning back from a trip to Canada. Only after they asked us what we do and we told them we were both professors did they become slightly respectful and let us go. We never used that border crossing again.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.