the3dolphins

Fiancee in DS-160

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi all,

I am applying for a J1 visa for a research scholar position and have encountered a doubt when filling up the DS-160 form.

Since the beginning of the year I am engaged to a US citizen. She is doing a PhD program on a different state from where I will be working and we still do not have any date for the wedding and are not planning on marrying before the end of both our programs.

Do I need to state her as my fiancee in the DS-160 form when applying for a J1 visa?

What is the definition of fiancee for the DS-160 form? Is the definition of fiancee : "one who seeks to enter the United States solely to conclude a valid marriage with the petitioner within ninety days after admission" or does it just considers "a woman to whom one is engaged to be married"?

I do not want to lie in the form and being accused of fraud but at the same time I am afraid that if I declare her as my fiancee the likelihood of my visa getting rejected increases dramatically. The main reason for my J1 visa is for research purposes since it is a great job opportunity for my career.

Any help would be appreciated.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Do you have an interview for the J1 visa or is it just the application? I don't know much about this visa type but it seems like you should be able to explain it in the interview.... and also show significant proof of your research job being in another state.... maybe? Also I'm sure it depends a lot on the country. Some embassies are tougher than others.

K1 Visa Timeline:

Texas Service Center

NOA1: 10-15-14

NOA2: 05-15-15

Sent to NVC: 05-21-15

NVC received: 06-01-15
Sent to Paris: 06-04-15

Accepted at Paris: 06-08-15

Medical: 06-30-15

Interview, approved: 07-15-15

Pick up at embassy: 07-20-15

Entry to USA: 07-23-15

Adjustment of Status filed: 09-04-15

Biometrics Appt: 09-21-15

No interview

Approval: 03-18-16

I first need to fill the DS-160 form and then I will have an interview at the embassy.

In the interview, I can explain the situation and provide additional evidence of our programs being in different states.

At the moment I just wanted to know more about the definition of fiancee for the DS-160 form and if I must put her there or not.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

I don't remember there being a place where you could explain you have a fiance. You just fill in a contact in the US (correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a while) which can be anyone you know including your fiance but you won't be able to tell them she is your fiance until the interview. Be prepared with plenty of evidence you'll return to your home country after the program is over or you can get into trouble. I had been together with my then boyfriend for a year when I applied for an F1 and when I told them I was going to live with my boyfriend the interviewer asked me if I was planning to get married (which I didn't) and pointed out that if I wanted to come live in the US I needed an immigration visa. Other than that, it was fine and I got approved. Just be honest and have plenty of proof.

I first need to fill the DS-160 form and then I will have an interview at the embassy.

In the interview, I can explain the situation and provide additional evidence of our programs being in different states.

At the moment I just wanted to know more about the definition of fiancee for the DS-160 form and if I must put her there or not.

It is the common use of the term -- a person to whom you have proposed to and who has agreed to marry you (or who has proposed to you and you accepted). Don't over-complicate things -- just be open and honest, so you don't appear to be concealing anything.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.