MeryAsawa

I-130 for Wife and Stepchildren

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I am filing an I-130 (to result in an IR-1) for a wife and two stepdaughters ages 9 and 7. I'm having trouble finding info about the procedure of the actual packet. The question becomes what if anything should be combined or do I need three completely standalone applications in one box? Here is what I was planning:

A. Section for Wife

1. Payment I thought $1260 (should this be separate or combined e.g. three checks for $420 or one for $1260?)

2. Cover letter

3. I-130 for Wife

4. Proof of my citizenship

5. Copy of Marriage Certificate

6. G325-a for Me

7. Photo of Me

8. Copy of G-325a for Wife

9. Photo for Wife

10. Evidence of Bonafide Marriage

B. and C. Sections for each stepdaughter

(wasn't planning separate check or cover letter)

1. I-130 for her daughter

2. Copy of Marriage Certificate

3. Copy of G-325a for daughter

4. Photo for daughter

5. Copy of Birth certificate showing she is my wife's child, and still under 18.

(wasn't planning on providing g-325a, additional photo of me, or any additional evidence)

Thanks so much in advance. This is already tying my stomach in knots

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

prepare them separately, mail them all together in the same packet. view petition requirements separately, add what's needed until all are mirrors of each other, save for the name and biodata.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Okay so I definitely had some of this wrong. There do need to be three separate filings (and can be sent in the same box.) I'll quote from the I-130 instructions at the end. It appears to me that I don't need substantial amount of the info including all G325a, photos, bona-fides. Doest this look right now?

I am filing an I-130 (to result in an IR-1) for a wife and two stepdaughters ages 9 and 7. I'm having trouble finding info about the procedure of the actual packet. The question becomes what if anything should be combined or do I need three completely standalone applications in one box? Here is what I was planning:

A. Section for Wife

1. Payment I thought $1260 (should this be separate or combined e.g. three checks for $420 or one for $1260?)

1. Check for $420

2. Cover letter

3. I-130 for Wife

6. G325-a for Me

7. Photo of Me

9. Photo for Wife

B. and C. Sections for each stepdaughter

1. Check for $420

2. Cover Letter Specific to Daughter

3. I-130 for daughter

5. Copy of Marriage Certificate (and it's before they are 18)

6. Proof that both spouses prior marriages terminated (Not applicable to us)

7. Copy of Birth Certificate

(wasn't planning separate check or cover letter)

1. I-130 for her daughter

2. Copy of Marriage Certificate

3. Copy of G-325a for daughter

4. Photo for daughter

5. Copy of Birth certificate showing she is my wife's child, and still under 18.

(wasn't planning on providing g-325a, additional photo of me, or any additional evidence)

Thanks so much in advance. This is already tying my stomach in knots

This is from the I-130 Instructions:

What Documents Do You Need to Prove Family Relationship?

You have to prove that there is a family relationship between you and your relative. If you are filing for:

1. A spouse, submit the following documentation:

1. A copy of your marriage certificate.
  2. If either you or your spouse were previously married, submit copies of documents showing that all prior marriages were legally terminated.
  3. A passport-style color photo of yourself and a passport- style color photo of your spouse, taken within 30 days of the date of this petition. The photos must have a white background and be glossy unretouched and not mounted. The dimensions of the full frontal facial image should be about 1 inch from the chin to top of the hair. Using pencil or felt pen, lightly print the name (and Alien Registration Number, if known) on the back of each photograph.
  4. A completed and signed Form G-325A, Biographic Information, for you and a Form G-325A for your spouse. Except for your name and signature you do not have to repeat on Form G-325A the information given on your Form I-130 petition.
  5. ... (the rest documents ways to show bonafide marriage)

8. Stepparent/Stepchild: If your petition is based on a stepparent-stepchild relationship, you must file your petition with a copy of the marriage certificate of the stepparent to the child's natural parent showing that the marriage occurred before the child's 18th birthday, copies of documents showing that any prior marriages were legally terminated and a copy of the stepchild's birth certificate.

Timeline

on wife's packet, restudy the I-130 instructions, fob over as much bonafide marriage evidence that you have or can generate from the listed 6 types in the instructions.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

on wife's packet, restudy the I-130 instructions, fob over as much bonafide marriage evidence that you have or can generate from the listed 6 types in the instructions.

Thanks Darnell. It's more than a little frustrating that the instructions don't specifically mention the bonafide marriage/relationship proof considering part 8 specifically references stepchildren. I did find the following post where there was a delay for not showing a bonafide relationship. That's easy enough, just a lot of copying. I feel better. It's not like the girls aren't peppered throughout the proof anyway.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/406530-uscis-asking-for-documents-after-sending-i-130-for-stepson/

Edited by MeryAsawa

Timeline

oh, no - you not need bonafide evidence on the children. just the wife. the children's stuff is easier, their birth certificates showing mom's name, then mom's wedding certificate showing yer name (that's yer linkage on the children).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

good afternoon Maryasawa... I need to do similar forms for my wife and my 6 year old stepdaughter.... have you gotten any more feedback on exactly what to include in your packet.... is it as you have outlined in red... with some lines crossed out?

good afternoon Maryasawa... I need to do similar forms for my wife and my 6 year old stepdaughter.... have you gotten any more feedback on exactly what to include in your packet.... is it as you have outlined in red... with some lines crossed out?

I haven't heard specifically whether I have it right now. But looking at Darnell's last reply it looks like I do.

My research has shown that they definitely do want it separate. So separate cover letter and checks for all three and they want the separated in the package with clips of rubber bands.

My only nervousness is that I have enough proof. I may chicken out and add a few pics of the girls with me

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I haven't heard specifically whether I have it right now. But looking at Darnell's last reply it looks like I do.

My research has shown that they definitely do want it separate. So separate cover letter and checks for all three and they want the separated in the package with clips of rubber bands.

My only nervousness is that I have enough proof. I may chicken out and add a few pics of the girls with me

I did not worry about providing the multitude of evidence at the application stage (sending in I-130) as the USCIS at this point only needs to establish whether there is legal relationship satisfies any of the categories for family-based immigration.

So in my estimation including your a copy of the marriage certificate in each of the 3 applications, will establish the relationship.

After you have sent in your application, you can use your time to start gathering and organizing your evidence of bonafide relationship. Upon your application approval, your documents move to the NVC that in short order will instruct you to complete and fill out immigrant visa application. At this point it a good idea, the send your evidence package you have prepared along with your completed visa application, and police record.

Your order of process:

1. Application sent to USCIS (longest wait time in the process that you cannot control)

2. If approved, your documents go to NVC (National Visa Center - Department of State)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I did not worry about providing the multitude of evidence at the application stage (sending in I-130) as the USCIS at this point only needs to establish whether there is legal relationship satisfies any of the categories for family-based immigration.

So in my estimation including your a copy of the marriage certificate in each of the 3 applications, will establish the relationship.

After you have sent in your application, you can use your time to start gathering and organizing your evidence of bonafide relationship. Upon your application approval, your documents move to the NVC that in short order will instruct you to complete and fill out immigrant visa application. At this point it a good idea, the send your evidence package you have prepared along with your completed visa application, and police record.

Your order of process:

1. Application sent to USCIS (longest wait time in the process that you cannot control)

2. If approved, your documents go to NVC (National Visa Center - Department of State)

Timeline

take a series of deep, cleansing, relaxing breaths, and reread post #7 ..

Edited by Darnell

• 2 months later...

Update: Our case was approved in just under 2 months and I did it exactly like the way I updated. For clarity, I'll put it here. It was three separate packets in the same envelope.

A. Section for Wife

1. Check for $420

2. Cover letter for wife

3. I-130 for Wife

6. G325-a for Me

7. Photo of Me

9. Photo for Wife

B. Sections for stepdaughter 1

1. Check for $420

2. Cover Letter Specific to Daughter 1

3. I-130 for daughter 1

5. Copy of Marriage Certificate (child is under 18)

7. Copy of Birth Certificate for Daughter 1 (this is the bonafide relationship proof since filing with wife)

C. Sections for stepdaughter 2

1. Check for $420

2. Cover Letter Specific to Daughter 2

3. I-130 for daughter 2

5. Copy of Marriage Certificate (child is under 18)

7. Copy of Birth Certificate for Daughter 2 (this is the bonafide relationship proof since filing with wife)

Edited by MeryAsawa

Timeline

Stellar news! Congratulations!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.