12 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

I have a question on form I-864 (Affidavit of Support) regarding the Sponsor's Household (Part 5). My father is the petitioner and I am his dependent child here in the US. He has US citizenship. Currently, He is sponsoring two people: my step-mother and my step-brother. My step-mother is my step-brother's mother. Both have their own separate I-130 and visa petitions. So my step-mother has her own petition and my step-brother has his own petition.

While filling out form I-864 for both people, Part 3 Item 2 is a checkbox that states:

"I am sponsoring the following family members immigrating at the same time or within 6 months of the principal immigrant named in Part 2. Do not include any relative listed on a separate visa petition."

Since my my step-mother is a principal immigrant on her own form and my step-brother is a principal immigrant on his own form, do I check this checkbox on my step-mother's petition because my step-brother will most likely immigrate at the same time as her?

And Part 5 asks to count the total household size.

How should I count the household size for my step-mother's AOS and for my step-brother's AOS?

I have called the NVC a few times. Each time they gave me a different answer.

Thank you very much! I apologize for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,

- Trang

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

he doesn't put anything there since they are separate petitions

for example, if he were to petition a married child, with wife and minor children that were his derivatives and coming together, then he would put all his child's family there who are coming together

so, nothing there

and he has to count everyone, if you are his dependent and he declared you in his taxes, he has to add you up, and add both your step mom and brother

he has to be able to have enough income to cover everybody, or get a joint sponsor or have assets

Timeline

hi

he doesn't put anything there since they are separate petitions

for example, if he were to petition a married child, with wife and minor children that were his derivatives and coming together, then he would put all his child's family there who are coming together

so, nothing there

and he has to count everyone, if you are his dependent and he declared you in his taxes, he has to add you up, and add both your step mom and brother

he has to be able to have enough income to cover everybody, or get a joint sponsor or have assets

We do have a joint sponsor. And my father does not file taxes but he can still claim me as a dependent as I am under 21.

So when you say to count everyone? Does it mean to add according to the picture below? (The below links do not have advertisements.)

My Step-Mother's Form

mt_1.jpg

1. Persons sponsored on this affidavit = 1 (step-mother)

2. Yourself (father) = 1

3. Spouse (step-mother = immigrant = already counted) = 0

3. Dependent (myself) = 1

Total = 1 + 1 + 0 + 1 = 3

Where do I add in my step-brother?

My Step-Brother's Form

n_1.jpg

1. Persons sponsored on this affidavit = 1 (step-brother)

2. Yourself (father) = 1

3. Spouse (step-mother) = 1

3. Dependent (myself) = 1

Total = 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 4

If the count is wrong, please let me know how to fix it. Thank you. This is my last step before I submit the documents.

Edited by some128

Timeline

hi

no for stepmom, he counts your stepbrother as child, stepchildren and children are the same for immigration purposes as he will be his dependent

so he will put 2 on children, the total is always 4

stepbrother's Is correct

Timeline

hi

no for stepmom, he counts your stepbrother as child, stepchildren and children are the same for immigration purposes as he will be his dependent

so he will put 2 on children, the total is always 4

stepbrother's Is correct

Thank you very much for your help.

According to the visajourney wiki, it says "Although the I-864 instructions say if the answer is none or N/A, then to leave it blank, do NOT do this." Should I write in "none" or "N/A" in the blank spaces or just leave them blank according to the NVC's I-864 instructions?

My step-mother and step-brother have two different priority dates, will this affect their interview time? I mean, will they be able to get the same time or will they have their own interview time? Will this affect the time they get the visa?

:dancing: :joy:I'm done with everything except paying for the IV. I got the invoice and the fees do not appear online. :(

Edited by some128

Timeline

hi

leave that part blank for the other numbers

I don't know if they will have the same interview date or not, the priority date doesn't matter since they are immediate family

Timeline

hi

leave that part blank for the other numbers

I don't know if they will have the same interview date or not, the priority date doesn't matter since they are immediate family

Thank you. I'm also done with the IV Application except one question. Under the Security and Background: Medical and Health Information, question 2:

"Do you have documentation to establish that you have received vaccinations in accordance with U.S. law?"

Yes or No (If No, explain)

How should I answer this question?

Currently, my step-mother and step-brother have no documentation to prove that. However, if their case do get completed and they receive an interview appointment letter, they will go ahead to get vaccinations. By the time, they are at the interview, they will have all the documentation with them.

I have a question on form I-864 (Affidavit of Support) regarding the Sponsor's Household (Part 5). My father is the petitioner and I am his dependent child here in the US. He has US citizenship. Currently, He is sponsoring two people: my step-mother and my step-brother. My step-mother is my step-brother's mother. Both have their own separate I-130 and visa petitions. So my step-mother has her own petition and my step-brother has his own petition.

While filling out form I-864 for both people, Part 3 Item 2 is a checkbox that states:

"I am sponsoring the following family members immigrating at the same time or within 6 months of the principal immigrant named in Part 2. Do not include any relative listed on a separate visa petition."

Since my my step-mother is a principal immigrant on her own form and my step-brother is a principal immigrant on his own form, do I check this checkbox on my step-mother's petition because my step-brother will most likely immigrate at the same time as her?

And Part 5 asks to count the total household size.

How should I count the household size for my step-mother's AOS and for my step-brother's AOS?

I have called the NVC a few times. Each time they gave me a different answer.

Thank you very much! I apologize for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,

- Trang

Hi some128, how old is your step brother? My husband is also petitioning our son which is minor child and we are confused what I-864 form to be use. thanks.

Timeline

My step-brother will be 20 years old this year. My father uses form I-864 for him. If your son is under 18, you should check again because I don't know about that.

Edited by some128

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.