Vishnya

IRS. TAX questions

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Hi, I am glad we all finaly in this (Citizenship) Forum

I have a question. I know we have to have a proof that we don't owe anything to IRS and we filed taxes for the past 5 years ( 1040 forms) My boyfriend is preparing documents. He filed taxes for the past 3 years, and 2 years before that he did not work just studied, since he didn't earn anything he did not file taxes in those years. So now, does he need to send Tax papers with the package or bring paperwork to the interview.
I filed taxes all years, will be sending my docs in a month, so the question is the same
Thank you guys and good luck in our last steps of our journey

LOVE IS IN THE AIR

I did not mail any tax forms. Most of us just bring IRS tax transcripts to the interview. Be aware that the online transcript service is down for a while now. So you should request that paper copies be mailed to you.

Edited by kovacs

Timeline

I did not mail any tax forms. Most of us just bring IRS tax transcripts to the interview. Be aware that the online transcript service is down for a while now. So you should request that paper copies be mailed to you.

Thank you. We can get a transcrip at the local IRS office, almost no lines

LOVE IS IN THE AIR

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi, I am glad we all finaly in this (Citizenship) Forum

I have a question. I know we have to have a proof that we don't owe anything to IRS and we filed taxes for the past 5 years ( 1040 forms) My boyfriend is preparing documents. He filed taxes for the past 3 years, and 2 years before that he did not work just studied, since he didn't earn anything he did not file taxes in those years. So now, does he need to send Tax papers with the package or bring paperwork to the interview.

I filed taxes all years, will be sending my docs in a month, so the question is the same

Thank you guys and good luck in our last steps of our journey

You mentioned a boyfriend, not a husband, which means you're not applying based on marriage to a USC. Are you and your boyfriend both applying under the 5 year residency rule? If so then you are not required to submit tax documents.

He might have to take some proof to the interview that he didn't owe taxes for those two years, but you should be ok since you always paid your taxes.

He will have to answer "yes" to the question about failing to file a tax return. He'll then just have to tell his interviewer that he made less than the minimum threshold that requires filing a return. That should be it... the interviewer may want to see proof that he was a fulltime student.

As for you, you won't need to submit anything.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Timeline

You mentioned a boyfriend, not a husband, which means you're not applying based on marriage to a USC. Are you and your boyfriend both applying under the 5 year residency rule? If so then you are not required to submit tax documents.

He might have to take some proof to the interview that he didn't owe taxes for those two years, but you should be ok since you always paid your taxes.

He will have to answer "yes" to the question about failing to file a tax return. He'll then just have to tell his interviewer that he made less than the minimum threshold that requires filing a return. That should be it... the interviewer may want to see proof that he was a fulltime student.

As for you, you won't need to submit anything.

Thank you for the detailed answer. I am glad you mentioned the minimum threshold, he actually did earn some money in those two years ( part time), but the Tax services such as H&R block told him that he doesn't need to file. So at first I thought it is not "failing" but as you said it is, we will go with this in information. Yes we both applying under the 5 years rule, actually it is already 7 years for me.....

let me ask you another question: it seems like we both need just

1)2 photos
2)photocopy of PR card
3)a check or money order
4)I was married ( proof that marriage ended) he wasn't so nothing here
5) N-400
and I read something about Selective services for mail older than 26, he is not registered
that is it, so easy??

LOVE IS IN THE AIR

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Thank you for the detailed answer. I am glad you mentioned the minimum threshold, he actually did earn some money in those two years ( part time), but the Tax services such as H&R block told him that he doesn't need to file. So at first I thought it is not "failing" but as you said it is, we will go with this in information. Yes we both applying under the 5 years rule, actually it is already 7 years for me.....

let me ask you another question: it seems like we both need just

1)2 photos
2)photocopy of PR card
3)a check or money order
4)I was married ( proof that marriage ended) he wasn't so nothing here
5) N-400
and I read something about Selective services for mail older than 26, he is not registered
that is it, so easy??

Selective service is the important one... that could result in a denial.

Is your boyfriend over 31? If so, no need to worry.

Is your boyfriend under 26? If so, then he needs to register immediately.

If he's between 26 and 31, then he might be in trouble, but not necessarily. It depends on when he got his green card, when he entered the US and what his status was in the US before his green card.

These questions determine whether or not he had to register. If he had to register and failed to do so, he may be denied naturalization until he reaches the age of 31.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.