ToriaM

Slightly concerned about my expiration date.

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

No it's only good for one entry

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I recieved my K1 visa today, and my expiration date is printed as 21st October 2015....it was issued 7th July.

Should I be concerned about this?

I'm flying on 16th July.

Was your medical around April 21? Six months before the visa expiration? Then it is correct.

It will be void when you use it July 16.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Was your medical around April 21? Six months before the visa expiration? Then it is correct.

It will be void when you use it July 16.

I think this year July 16 comes before October so they will be fine as long as they enter before the expiration date :)

Edited by ch3john

I think this year July 16 comes before October so they will be fine as long as they enter before the expiration date :)

Why are you telling me that? Did I somehow indicate there was a problem with her visa?

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Timeline

Why are you telling me that? Did I somehow indicate there was a problem with her visa?

You made it sound like their visa will be void if they try and use it on July 16. Were you saying it will be voided AFTER they enter the US on the 16th?

You made it sound like their visa will be void if they try and use it on July 16. Were you saying it will be voided AFTER they enter the US on the 16th?

"It will be void when you use it July 16" (which is her POE date) and is what Boiler was saying when he said it was a one use visa.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

A K1 visa's expiry date is only active until the point of entry. After POE, the expiry date is irrelevant, as from that point you have 90 days in which to marry and adjust status. Hence Nich-Nick stating that ToriaM's K1 will become void on July 16th as that's when they are planning to enter the US. Their K1 expiry date is well past this and will cease to be an issue after POE.

N400 Naturalization

Applied - 07/21/2022

NOA - 07/21/2022

Biometrics - Re-used

Interview - 11/03/2022 (Passed!)

Oath Ceremony - 11/08/2022

Timeline

"It will be void when you use it July 16" (which is her POE date) and is what Boiler was saying when he said it was a one use visa.

Just didn't want the OP to be confused and think it would be void when they use on the 16th when technically it would be void after they use it. I dont want to split hairs but we are dealing with language barriers on this site.

Just didn't want the OP to be confused and think it would be void when they use on the 16th when technically it would be void after they use it. I dont want to split hairs but we are dealing with language barriers on this site.

Most in this London regional forum speak English. Sorry my word choice was not proper. Made sense to me that to "use it", it would be valid. Otherwise she couldn't use it.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

A K1 visa's expiry date is only active until the point of entry. After POE, the expiry date is irrelevant, as from that point you have 90 days in which to marry and adjust status. Hence Nich-Nick stating that ToriaM's K1 will become void on July 16th as that's when they are planning to enter the US. Their K1 expiry date is well past this and will cease to be an issue after POE.

Every thing you state is correct except there is no stated deadline for filing AOS. Some have waited years before being able to afford the $1070 for AOS. Granted life is much easier if you file for AOS before the I-94 expires, but there is nothing in the CFR with regards to fulfilling the K-1 visa requirement that the AOS has to be filed by X.

Just picking nits here.

Dave

Every thing you state is correct except there is no stated deadline for filing AOS. Some have waited years before being able to afford the $1070 for AOS. Granted life is much easier if you file for AOS before the I-94 expires, but there is nothing in the CFR with regards to fulfilling the K-1 visa requirement that the AOS has to be filed by X.

Just picking nits here.

Dave

Maybe there is no specific time frame specified, however, this is the official line from the USCIS website:

"All K nonimmigrants are required to file Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence and Adjust Status, after arrival to adjust status as a permanent resident of the United States.

K nonimmigrants may only adjust status as a permanent resident through the same U.S. citizen (fiancé(e), spouse, or stepparent) that petitioned for them to receive their K visa status."

"If You are Present in the United States as a K-1 Fiance(e)

You should apply for adjustment as soon as you marry your fiancé(e). By law and regulations, you are required to marry the U.S. citizen who petitioned for you within 90 days of your admission to the United States in K-1 status. If you fail to marry, you will become removable from the United States and cannot adjust through any other means."

http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-through-family/green-card-through-special-categories-family/k-nonimmigrant

And this is from the VJ AOS guide:

"6.1)...How soon after we get married should we apply for Adjustment of Status?

A..Right away, or at least right after your honeymoon. You should make every effort to get the Adjustment application filed within 90 days of the fiance(e) entering the United States as indicated on the I-94.

Filing for Adjustment of Status within the 90 days protects your legal status. Your legal status expires after 90 days, married or not. The only way to protect your legal status is to apply for Adjustment of Status, and the only way to maintain continuous legal status is to file for AOS within 90 days or arriving. On the practical side, it is often difficult to arrange for the marriage, and get all the paperwork ready in time to file for AOS within 90 days. Many couples have filed for AOS a few days or weeks after the 90 day limit with no problems. Thus far, many experiences have shown this is not a major issue with local USCIS (INS) offices. "

http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k1k2visa-aos.html#6.1

N400 Naturalization

Applied - 07/21/2022

NOA - 07/21/2022

Biometrics - Re-used

Interview - 11/03/2022 (Passed!)

Oath Ceremony - 11/08/2022

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.