MouadsWife

A Little Foggy on This Process.. Petitioning for Alien Relative

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I have been reading the guides, but I think I am missing something. After you file the I-130 Petition for Alien Relative, and then it is approved.... what next? I can't find anything about what is done after that.

For example, at what point do I fill out the I-864 Affidavit of Support form?

Also, I heard about choosing an 'agent'? Or something like that,.. what is that all about?

I'm just plain lost after the part of when the petition is denied or approved....

Can anyone help? Thank s a bunch!

“You cannot enter heaven until you believe, and you will not truly believe until you (truly) love one another.” [Muslim, Al-Iman (Faith); 93]

Timeline

Thank you NLR that was very helpful. After reading it, so there is basically THREE fees involved. lol I thought just one fee. After I send off the I-130 and pay the fee of $420.00, there will then be additional fee for the "adjustment of status" for $120.00, AND the IV fee of $325.00.... for a total of $865.00. (Paid up until the end I hope). I'm assuming correct?

To petition for a minor child (18 years) I read that the waiting time is approximately 1 year, because they were considered immediate relatives, correct??? I am helping a friend with his paperwork. He will be petitioning for two children, so from what I have been reading, there will be separate fees for each child for a whopping total of $1,730.00. Correct?

Also, I my husband is petitioning for his brother... yes, definitely know that's going to be a while. :clock:

I do thank you for all your help... just wanted to make sure I was thinking on the right path...

“You cannot enter heaven until you believe, and you will not truly believe until you (truly) love one another.” [Muslim, Al-Iman (Faith); 93]

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Is the friend a USC?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

What you say is the adjustment of status is actually the affidavit of support. Same acronym.

If the two children are petitioned at the same time, their cases may be joined at the NVC and only one affidavit of support fee is needed. ($120.)

Also when people come to the USA on an immigrant visa, like an IR2, if they will not be USC's upon entry then they also need to pay an immigrant fee of $165 per person for the production of the green card.

On top of these fees is the medical which varies by country but is required.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Is the friend a USC?

Yes he is a USC.

Timeline

What you say is the adjustment of status is actually the affidavit of support. Same acronym.

If the two children are petitioned at the same time, their cases may be joined at the NVC and only one affidavit of support fee is needed. ($120.)

Also when people come to the USA on an immigrant visa, like an IR2, if they will not be USC's upon entry then they also need to pay an immigrant fee of $165 per person for the production of the green card.

On top of these fees is the medical which varies by country but is required.

Ok... so one I-130 for one child... another I-130 for the second child, pay $420.00 fee for EACH form.... and later they may or may not combine AOS fee. Ok... think I got it. Thanks a bunch!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.