Sarahnick

Drivers license on a k1

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Driver's licences in the US are administered through the individual states, and all of the states have nuances in their licensing requirements. Check with the CT DMV for specific details: http://www.ct.gov/dmv/taxonomy/v4_taxonomy.asp?DLN=41638

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If I was to do it again, I'd wait till EAD arrives. They only issued me a temporary license, which expired June 20th. Now I'm worried when I got back to renew it, they won't reissue.

Met 2008. Moved in together 2010. Married 2015. Baby Z joined us 2017 . :wub:

AOS Timeline 350 days

May 31/15 - Sent AOS/EAD/AP to USCIS

June 4/15 - Email and text notifications they were recieved

June 10/15 - NOA1 for AOS/EAD/AP Dated June 1

June 17/15- Change of address confirmation

June 22/15- Biometrics appointment received

July 1/15- Biometrics appointment done(5 minute appointment, 8 hour round trip drive <_< )

August 5/15 - Change of address submitted for new location

August 8/15 - Mobile/E-mail notifications for approved EAD/AP :)

August 17/15 - Change of address confirmation after calling in

August 17/15 - EAD/AP Combo card mailed out(To the wrong address, and then lost by USPS)

September 3/15 - Contacted USCIS and was told to re-apply with a new application and fees?! Put in a service request online for lost card, and a complaint

September 8/15 - USPS found & returned card to USCIS

September 15/15 - Ombudsman contacted USCIS

September 17/15 - Card mailed back out

September 19/15 - EAD/AP Combo card finally in hand

September 22/15 - NPIW letter received, dated September 9/2015 estimated 6 month wait

October 13-21/15 - Traveled using AP to visit parents & ship the rest of our belongings out west

November 27-30/15 - Traveled using AP

December 28/15- RFE hard copy, waiting on documents from Canada

January 31-February 7/16 - Traveled using AP

February 10/16 - Sent in RFE, delivered Feb 16

April 16/16 - Service request filed, RFE was never updated online

May 12 - Approved email and status update dated May 10. Service request never was assigned or solved, though.

May 14 - Greencard in hand!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Anyone here who can tell me how/ if I can get a CT drivers license, can I get it before green card or how does this work?!

If you don't want to go through the hassle of applying for a CT license now on the I-94 you can (if you have a Swedish license) get an international license (pretty much just a translation of your Swedish one) and drive on that for about 90 days. By that time you're hopefully close to getting your EAD.

Anyone here who can tell me how/ if I can get a CT drivers license, can I get it before green card or how does this work?!

If you don't want to go through the hassle of applying for a CT license now on the I-94 you can (if you have a Swedish license) get an international license (pretty much just a translation of your Swedish one) and drive on that for about 90 days. By that time you're hopefully close to getting your EAD.

I wouldn't suggest that. Each state is different and each of them has different rules and regulations. When I was applying for my VA driving licence I was told by the DMV manager that international driver licence is not recognized in Virginia at all. A friend of mine had to go to court for using her international driving licence from Bolivia in Centerville,Va.I would recommend you to visit your local DMV and speak with the manager directly.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Thing with an international drivers license is that it's supposed to be use for travel purpose and I'm not really gonna travel so I'm a little concerned if that's really a good option. Worked perfectly fine when I was an au pair but this time around I donno. Gonna go talk to the dmv and see what the options are, getting a license in CT is really stupid and not as easy as in other states :(

Timeline

I wouldn't suggest that. Each state is different and each of them has different rules and regulations. When I was applying for my VA driving licence I was told by the DMV manager that international driver licence is not recognized in Virginia at all. A friend of mine had to go to court for using her international driving licence from Bolivia in Centerville,Va.I would recommend you to visit your local DMV and speak with the manager directly.

Did your friend bring her foreign license? Had her international license expired? It is perfectly legal to have an international license in Virginia as long as you bring your foreign license with you and make sure you look up how long it is valid in the state you are in. It also depends on your status in the USA. If you are a resident then no, you should have a VA license.

How was your DMV experience in VA? I'm planning on heading down tomorrow and see what they can do for me

K-1 Journey: 309 days from received to POE (TSC)

[september 11, 2014] - I-129F received by USCIS

[september 15, 2014] - NOA1
[May 27, 2015] - NOA2
[July 9, 2015] - I N T E R V I E W! (APPROVED!)
[July 13, 2015] - Issued
[July 14, 2015] - Visa in hand
[July 16, 2015] - POE JFK

AOS Journey: 169 days from received to GC in hand (NSC)

Spoiler

[July 17, 2015] - Successfully applied for SSN

[July 18, 2015] - Sent out AOS package

[July 21, 2015] - Received

[July 24, 2015] - NOA1 (3x)

[August 18, 2015] - Biometrics

[september 19, 2015] - EAD/AP approval (63 days)

[september 24, 2015] - EAD/AP Received

[January 6, 2016] - Green Card approved without interview(166 days)

[January 12, 2016] - Received Green Card

ROC journey starts: October 2017

ROC Journey: 419 days (VSC)

[October 30, 2017] - Sent package

[November 3, 2017] - NOA1

[November 18, 2017] - Biometrics letter received

[December 5, 2017] - Biometrics

[December 18, 2018] - Card is being produced (no interview)

[December 22, 2018] - Received Green Card

Did your friend bring her foreign license? Had her international license expired? It is perfectly legal to have an international license in Virginia as long as you bring your foreign license with you and make sure you look up how long it is valid in the state you are in. It also depends on your status in the USA. If you are a resident then no, you should have a VA license.

She had both international driving licence and her Bolivian driving licence. She got pulled over by a cop few weeks after arrival so it was still valid. My friend who moved to Virginia on K1 was told the same by Virginia DMV authorities that international driving licence isn't accepted.

Timeline

She had both international driving licence and her Bolivian driving licence. She got pulled over by a cop few weeks after arrival so it was still valid. My friend who moved to Virginia on K1 was told the same by Virginia DMV authorities that international driving licence isn't accepted.

That's weird because when I was an Au Pair I was told that was perfectly fine in Virginia until you got your proper driver's license. Plus I can't find anywhere with the information that it's not valid in Virginia. All info I can find from the DMV is this: Foreign Drivers in the United States

The U.S. does not require an international driving permit to drive in the country; however, you may need to show one in order to rent a car.

USA.gov pretty much says the same thing.

Maybe you can't if you're on a K1 as you're intending to stay. But I don't buy that VA doesn't allow international licenses at all. Only time I've heard that you're not allowed to have a foreign license is after you've gotten a VA license. I've even read that they will confiscate your foreign license once you get your VA license. Haven't happened as far as I've heard but that's what it says on their website.

How was your DMV experience in VA? I'm planning on heading down tomorrow and see what they can do for me

Oh please don't get me started on my awful experience :) It took me a couple of trips to eventually obtain my dl. Seems like people do not know their jobs and give you contradictory information. One manager wouldn't recognize my bank statement printed, signed and notarized by my bank manager. He told me to print it out myself at home. So here I am few weeks later with my bank statement printed at home :) and he tells me that it has to be from my bank printed on head paper. Another funny part was on the day when I was supposed to take my road test the person at the front issued me a wrong ticket. Seems like an easy thing to fix but it took me like almost an hour and I had to speak at least with 5 people answering the same questions, taking few pictures and vision tests before taking the road test. Other than that the road test is ridiculouslying easy. It took me maybe 5 min. I hope everything will go well for you. Best of luck!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.