megandeli

Embassy closed....now what?

15 posts in this topic

Hi! My fiancé and I had our interview scheduled for July 7 (Tuesday). The Santo Domingo embassy was closed July 6 (Monday) and 7 due to technical issues. I called ustraveldocs on Monday when I found out the embassy was closed. They put in a request to have our interview as soon as possible as I am starting a new job and need to leave the DR by Saturday. I was told within 2 business days, I would hear from the embassy. It's been 2 days and the only thing my fiance received was an email saying they changed his date to July 28 (3 weeks away) even though ustraveldocs shows appointments available as soon as Monday.

I tried to call ustraveldocs again. One woman told me that K1's do not schedule their own interviews, another told me I had to wait for the embassy to email me back in regards to the first call I made. I explained it had been 2 days and nothing. She said to "wait." I asked both to speak to a supervisor. Both said the supervisors were too busy to take a call. I told them I would wait on hold. After 15 minutes on hold each time, I hung up.

I asked the second woman if there was anyway I could contact the embassy. She said that it was only through ustraveldocs. The embassy's website lists a phone number but only for non-visa purposes and everything in regards to visas is directed to ustraveldocs. Has anybody been in touch with the Santo Domingo embassy before? Do I have to go there personally to get someone to notice our case?

I've emailed my boss and he said I was able to miss the first few days of training to get the visa interview taken care of, but there is no way I can come back to the DR for the interview after that. The DR is a high fraud country and it is highly recommended that the petitioner (me) attends. I'm at a loss as to what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi! My fiancé and I had our interview scheduled for July 7 (Tuesday). The Santo Domingo embassy was closed July 6 (Monday) and 7 due to technical issues. I called ustraveldocs on Monday when I found out the embassy was closed. They put in a request to have our interview as soon as possible as I am starting a new job and need to leave the DR by Saturday. I was told within 2 business days, I would hear from the embassy. It's been 2 days and the only thing my fiance received was an email saying they changed his date to July 28 (3 weeks away) even though ustraveldocs shows appointments available as soon as Monday.

I tried to call ustraveldocs again. One woman told me that K1's do not schedule their own interviews, another told me I had to wait for the embassy to email me back in regards to the first call I made. I explained it had been 2 days and nothing. She said to "wait." I asked both to speak to a supervisor. Both said the supervisors were too busy to take a call. I told them I would wait on hold. After 15 minutes on hold each time, I hung up.

I asked the second woman if there was anyway I could contact the embassy. She said that it was only through ustraveldocs. The embassy's website lists a phone number but only for non-visa purposes and everything in regards to visas is directed to ustraveldocs. Has anybody been in touch with the Santo Domingo embassy before? Do I have to go there personally to get someone to notice our case?

I've emailed my boss and he said I was able to miss the first few days of training to get the visa interview taken care of, but there is no way I can come back to the DR for the interview after that. The DR is a high fraud country and it is highly recommended that the petitioner (me) attends. I'm at a loss as to what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I do not have any experience with the embassy, but I do know how they work in DR. I would encourage you to go in person if that is an option for you. Good luck.

I was unable to attend our interview due to a flight delay. Our interview was scheduled for 10 am and I left Miami 15 minutes before. My husband went anyway and asked if we could be interviewed when I got there, after 1 pm, and she told him we could either go the following Monday or he could try on his own. Because I had just started a new job and had already asked off those days, Monday was not an option. Luckily, he was approved without me even being there. The DR embassy is difficult to deal with for sure.

My fiance also had the interview by himself. I could not attend. It was not an issue. He was approved. Since then, a month ago, we are waiting for the passport so that he can leave the country.

Contacting the embassy with case specific questions is a waste of time. They do not look into the specifics of your situation. You just have to wait.

Thank you both for your responses! I'm going to stay in the country until Wednesday and see if we can get any information before then. It's good to know that other people have been approved when the fiancee went alone. My fiancee is just nervous because at VAC they told him to make sure I was present and when he went for a tourist visa, everyone was talking about how hard it is to get a spouse/fiancee visa approved without the beneficiary. Thanks again!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from Mexico/Latin/South America regional forum to the Caribbean regional forum. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Does anyone know how long the police certificate is valid for? We got his on June 8.

It is valid for 30 days.

Thank you both for your responses! I'm going to stay in the country until Wednesday and see if we can get any information before then. It's good to know that other people have been approved when the fiancee went alone. My fiancee is just nervous because at VAC they told him to make sure I was present and when he went for a tourist visa, everyone was talking about how hard it is to get a spouse/fiancee visa approved without the beneficiary. Thanks again!

If you cant attend to the interview takemcopy of the entries to DR on your passport and ur fiance shold bring flight tickets also, they will understand that u can for the interview but due to the problem and interview changes u had to go back to work.

Yes if he applied for a visitor visa they will ask about it he just has to answer with the truth, take as many proofs as you can.

Dont worry , your fiance can go alone if ge is prepered to answer all questions.

He can show your passport copy and flight copy.

I know anothers member who had go alone and got approved.

she can go alone but have to be strong an show then security and and be relaxed an answer questions right away S.D. is not easy !!!at all

Thank you all for your responses. it's just frustrating because i am here and there are appointments available on Monday and Tuesday but I can't get anyone to schedule it for then even though we originally scheduled the interview by ourselves. My fiance will have no problem answering the questions, but I wanted to be there as part of our team. I'm still waiting to hear from the embassy today. Hopefully, I can get an interview next week. Thanks again.

Good morning

I am in the same situation, my appointment was 6th july, embassy was closed, i have not received any email from them. I still waiting, please if you know something different just let us know.

Good luck

I just received an email from the embassy saying they are going to accommodate our case Monday or Tuesday due to the nature of our case. I called ustraveldocs as well as emailed their support (support-dominicanrepublic@ustraveldocs.com) to get the case escalated. They got back to me pretty timely. The last email I sent was Wednesday morning and I just received the response now. Hope that helps :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.