JoelMiaLyn

Letter of Employment // Petitioner attending interview

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I would appreciate any help I can get here, thanks an advance for this website and the advice given here.

I live in Alaska and nearly all the construction/surveying work here is seasonal. I work as an associate party chief for an engineering firm in the summer and I am self employed during the winter. I showed $68,000 on my 1040 for last year after expenses/deductions (I think its line 28). I just got hired back for the season as of June 13th and have only received 2 paychecks. Our interview is scheduled for July 21st and I am attending. I will have proof of 4 paystubs before the interview only because I was just recently hired back on. I get paid weekly and in my first week back I made $2,947 before taxes, last weeks pay check was well over 2k before taxes and this coming pay check will be well over 2k. Most of the work we do is government work and I am paid $28.55 per hour private scale and $36 per hour government scale (Davis Bacon) plus a lot of overtime. My first month back and just before the interview I will show over 10k Year to Date before taxes on my paystubs. I also can show over $30k in money I brought in from my side business this year as I have copies of the checks.

I live in Soldotna, AK and fly up to Fairbanks in the summer and live here for the summer but I still claim residence there and all my petitioning stuff is for my address there since it is my permanent residence, thats where I showed my fiance' will live on our DS160.

Does it affect your financial support if your work is only seasonal and you are self employed during the winter? I am putting $68,000 as my annual salary on my i134 because thats what I made last year and it will be probably more than that this year but I want to made sure I am not over exaggerating my income. I also have properties I can show as assets but I was filling it out on Rapid Visa and it says I do not need to show assets because I made enough last year. I have a 1099 from last year showing $75k plus my W2 from my employer showing $28k. I have a piece of property in Arizona assessed at $26k owned free and clear, and a property owned in Alaska assessed at 9k owned free and clear. I have other properties but they are not quite paid off.

My fiance' is nagging me to get a letter of employment which my boss is extremely busy as it is non stop rush in Alaska in the summer and I dont like to bother him with things plus because I just had to take several days off to attend the interview. Do I really need a letter of employment? To me it seems like the pay stubs are adequate since it says the company, my social security #, and all I have made. I would rather not fill out a letter of employment because I am not going to mention the fact my position is seasonal full time, but its seasonal full time every year.

I want to avoid getting a 221g because I have spent a long time apart from my fiance' and have spent thousands and thousands for us to be together and we are so close now I can taste it! I am 25 years old and there are probably not that many 25 year olds that make as much as I do but I just want to make sure all my ducks are in a row.

It seems like its going to be a walk in the park at the interview since there is going to be 0 questions about how genuine our relationship is, but I am thinking there might be questions about my income and what I do. I paid $15,000 in taxes last year and all I am trying to do is get my fiance' here so I can get married, gets so frustrating as a tax payer when we have to defend ourselves against our government!

Sorry for the long message, thank you for everyone here on this website helping others, you are truly a blessing to a lot of people. This website is changing lives. I am sure this website has helped countless people, I really feel like I need to donate because I have used the advice here many times.

We are attending our interview in Manila, Philippines. I am spending 2k in plane tickets and taking several days off work, are there good chances they will let me come inside to attend the interview with my fiance'? Will I go up to the window/counter with her or will I remain seated? I always stick out like a sore thumb in the Philippines so I want to try to blend in haha. I will wear my Philippine polo haha.

Thank you so much!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Because of country-specific questions, thread moved from K-1 Process forum to the Philippines regional subforum, where general questions can also be answered. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I would appreciate any help I can get here, thanks an advance for this website and the advice given here.

I live in Alaska and nearly all the construction/surveying work here is seasonal. I work as an associate party chief for an engineering firm in the summer and I am self employed during the winter. I showed $68,000 on my 1040 for last year after expenses/deductions (I think its line 28). I just got hired back for the season as of June 13th and have only received 2 paychecks. Our interview is scheduled for July 21st and I am attending. I will have proof of 4 paystubs before the interview only because I was just recently hired back on. I get paid weekly and in my first week back I made $2,947 before taxes, last weeks pay check was well over 2k before taxes and this coming pay check will be well over 2k. Most of the work we do is government work and I am paid $28.55 per hour private scale and $36 per hour government scale (Davis Bacon) plus a lot of overtime. My first month back and just before the interview I will show over 10k Year to Date before taxes on my paystubs. I also can show over $30k in money I brought in from my side business this year as I have copies of the checks.

I live in Soldotna, AK and fly up to Fairbanks in the summer and live here for the summer but I still claim residence there and all my petitioning stuff is for my address there since it is my permanent residence, thats where I showed my fiance' will live on our DS160.

Does it affect your financial support if your work is only seasonal and you are self employed during the winter? I am putting $68,000 as my annual salary on my i134 because thats what I made last year and it will be probably more than that this year but I want to made sure I am not over exaggerating my income. I also have properties I can show as assets but I was filling it out on Rapid Visa and it says I do not need to show assets because I made enough last year. I have a 1099 from last year showing $75k plus my W2 from my employer showing $28k. I have a piece of property in Arizona assessed at $26k owned free and clear, and a property owned in Alaska assessed at 9k owned free and clear. I have other properties but they are not quite paid off.

My fiance' is nagging me to get a letter of employment which my boss is extremely busy as it is non stop rush in Alaska in the summer and I dont like to bother him with things plus because I just had to take several days off to attend the interview. Do I really need a letter of employment? To me it seems like the pay stubs are adequate since it says the company, my social security #, and all I have made. I would rather not fill out a letter of employment because I am not going to mention the fact my position is seasonal full time, but its seasonal full time every year.

I want to avoid getting a 221g because I have spent a long time apart from my fiance' and have spent thousands and thousands for us to be together and we are so close now I can taste it! I am 25 years old and there are probably not that many 25 year olds that make as much as I do but I just want to make sure all my ducks are in a row.

It seems like its going to be a walk in the park at the interview since there is going to be 0 questions about how genuine our relationship is, but I am thinking there might be questions about my income and what I do. I paid $15,000 in taxes last year and all I am trying to do is get my fiance' here so I can get married, gets so frustrating as a tax payer when we have to defend ourselves against our government!

Sorry for the long message, thank you for everyone here on this website helping others, you are truly a blessing to a lot of people. This website is changing lives. I am sure this website has helped countless people, I really feel like I need to donate because I have used the advice here many times.

We are attending our interview in Manila, Philippines. I am spending 2k in plane tickets and taking several days off work, are there good chances they will let me come inside to attend the interview with my fiance'? Will I go up to the window/counter with her or will I remain seated? I always stick out like a sore thumb in the Philippines so I want to try to blend in haha. I will wear my Philippine polo haha.

Thank you so much!!

You can go with your fiancee during the interview as my fiance did same during my interview..They will only ask if you are the petitioner they will let you in... Some consul while they do the interview its ok if you are beside with your fiancee some dont they just asked if you can sit down while they are interviewing your fiancee which they did to me..

May 4, 2014 Met Online

August 21- September 2, 2014 Fiance First Trip to the Philippines

November 13- 25, 2014 Fiance Second Trip to the Philippines

November 16, 2014 Got Engaged

December 14- January 14, 2015 Fiance Third Trip to the Philippines

February 5, 2015 Submit 1-129 petition

February 12, 2015 NOA 1

May 7, 2015 NOA 2 (Approved)

June 3-4, 2015 Medical (Passed)

June 25- July 15, 2015 Fiance Fourth Trip to the Philippines

June 26, 2015 Interview (Passed)

July 8, 2015 Visa Issued

July 11, 2015 Visa on Hand

July 15, 2015 POE Chicago O'Hare Airport

" To God be the Glory"

Thank you so much!!

Recently they have not required an I-134 (Affidavit of Support) whereas they did before. But, and I say that with sincerity, I would follow the instruction found in the Embassy Letter. I have taken a snippet of what is required to answer your question. BTW, I typed up a letter of employment and gave it to my supervisor to sign as she also like your boss, quite busy. Keep in mind, that may not ask for anything but being prepared is the best policy. You don't want to be delayed with a 221(f) RFE. Here is what is needed per the Embassy letter.

EVIDENCE OF SUPPORT. You should be able to demonstrate that you will not become a public charge or burden on the U.S. taxpayers for financial support. A completed I-134 Affidavit of Support Form may be useful to the consular officer to evaluate your petitioner’s ability to be financially responsible for you. You may also be asked to submit your petitioner’s most recent U.S. Federal income tax return (Form 1040) and wage statements (Form W-2). Employment letters stating salaries and bank statements may be included to substantiate the I-134. Download Form I-134 at http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis.

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/manila/1178798/feb2015/K1-K2%20Applicant%20Interview%20Preparation%20Instructions%20-%20English%20_February%202015_.pdf

You can attend your fiancé's interview. I experienced my wife's interview and it was so enlightening and lent a lot of support during this stressful time. The guard at the gate will direct you to where you the USC will enter and where your fiancé will enter. Don't be alarmed, as you will be apart for about 5 minuets and on the other side of security you'll meet up again to travel together. Keep in mind that you may not be able to be with her at the "window" during her interview. It's funny, but some CO's allow it others don't. No rhyme or reason. Just take it all in. It's quite the experience.

You may find more information on this topic and the "next steps" in this guide found here: http://tinyurl.com/lnwm9gj

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

If you are American Citizen you can go in your embassy. I have entered on American Side and Non USC side, I have never been asked for ID, or or any questions, just walked in. Stick with your fiancé once you get in the embassy and go where she goes, most is boring. Once she goes up for the actual interview then the CO will usually let you be part of interview. It pretty weird how they do the actual interview it like being at a bank and basically done in the open, so you can eaves drop and listen to others interviews, it makes the time pass faster.

A few years ago once you did you actual interview you had a room that you went in for the final, but those days are gone.

After you do the interview make sure you or your fiancé asks if you are approved, in case the CO doesn't tell you.

Follow Greenbaums post above on 1-134, My only suggestion is to do your own employment letter, but more than likely it not needed.

Have fun and enjoy the experience, You are not allowed to carry electronics inside, but they will hold the stuff for US Citizens, they will not for non americans.

Be careful of the many scammers standing outside the embassy especially the group directly to the left side of the Embassy entrances, they will offer all types of services and most are scams.....

Edited by VOL

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Do I really need a letter of employment?

No

To me it seems like the pay stubs are adequate since it says the company, my social security #, and all I have made.

Yes, plus the free IRS Tax Transcripts are really good also.

Seems like all is good assuming you've submitted all the other necessary documents and have solid evidences of a legitimate relationship.

You're not. You're just overstressing.

Go to the regional forum for those answers.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Hi everybody good day to all, just wanted to share my thoughts on this subject, all the embassy wants to see on you tax transcripts are that your making enough money to support her that's it, and as long as your fiancee has all of her documents in order your fine

Thank you so much!!

If your most recent tax return is above the poverty guidelines, then you don't need an employment letter. Since your income was $68K last year they are not likely to question it and ask for further proof. I also agree no need to show assets, your income is more than plenty for a household size of 2.

I think you are a little backwards on what the embassy will question you about. There will actually likely be 0 questions about your income, and more about how genuine your relationship is. The Filipina consul will probably ask a few questions about your relationship, like how it began, how you got engaged, etc. and then ask some proof such as pictures of you together. The American consul will ask additional questions about your relationship and perhaps questions about your wedding plans.

It's good you will be at the interview with your fiancée. Yes, you are allowed to be at the interview with her. You will spend a lot of time waiting in the waiting area with her, but you will also be allowed to go with her when her number is called to go to the window. I was also with my wife at her interview and I stood next to her when she interviewed with the Filipina consul (I was also interviewed) and when she had her fingerprints done at the biometrics window. When my wife had her final interview, the American consul asked who I was and then just asked me to take a seat so they could interview my wife alone. She got approved with absolutely no problems.

If you are interested, click on my timeline and feel free to read my embassy review. I have listed the questions that were asked at my wife's interview.

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.