trandy

Cheaper alternatives to using a UK notary public?

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Wales
Timeline

Ok, I just wanted to give this one last try because it will save a small fortune if it works.

I need to get an affidavit notarised as well as another piece of paper. Both just need someone to 'authenticate' a signature. I have heard there are alternatives than using an official notary public (in the uk, that's £100 PER DOCUMENT - free or nearly free in the US).

I just read this on some other forum:

"You need to check the actual qualification requirement expected of the witness. In the US they use notary as a global term whereas here, it is a specifically authorised witness. Often, documents that say they need a notary in fact only need to be witnessed by a solicitor which costs £5 for the document and £2 for any exhibits. A Magistrate would not be qualified (unless they are a registered notary public as well) to witness documents requiring the signature of a notary public.

The reason it costs so much to use a notary public is that they have to pay a fee and register to be able to witness the international documents."

So really I just need the documents to be authenticated that I'm the one signing, plus my friend who is signing the other. Would the witness of a solicitor be enough?

Isn't that a question to ask the person requesting the documents. Are these immigration related documents? You have never said what they are, where they go, and who is requesting them.

For example, the US Embassy Immigrant Visa Unit in London has always accepted a solicitor witnessing when a divorced parent is taking kids to the US and needs the permission of the other parent.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

What is the documentary t, never heard of someone needing a notary in the UK.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

It's an affidavit from my attorney regarding the I-601 waiver + a brief statement of support from a friend. My attorney suggested that the docs merely need to be authenticated somehow.

He says "The point is for the USCIS to know that the name in the signature on the document is actually the name of the person who signed it."

Timeline

Name and contact details would seem to suffice.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

are fees different in scotland ?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

are fees different in scotland ?

????? OP is Welsh

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

i know.

OP - fee structure should be different in Scotland, and even different in Liverpool. Can You get out of Wales for a day?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

I had never come across a notary before coming here. Very very unusual.

You can get items notarized at the American Services side of the US embassy in London, but as far as I know, nothing needs to be notarized for DCF in London. I wouldn't worry about it. If you want to get it certified, you can get someone at your bank to "certify" the document for you.

Me: US Citizen/UK Resident Him: UK Citizen/Intending US Permanent Resident

UK Settlement Marriage (Fiancee) Visa (applied from within USA)

04 Feb 2014: Completed UK Settlement Marriage (fiancée) Visa application on Visa4UK in USA and Paid for Priority Settlement Service via WorldBridge
07 Feb 2014: Biometrics done (sheet stamped) and Documents shipped to Sheffield via UPS
10 Feb 2014: Documents delivered to Sheffield via UPS (8:43 AM Local)
11 Feb 2014: E-mail from Sheffield confirming receipt of documents (11:22 am Local)
18 Feb 2014: Request for Evidence from Sheffield
20 Feb 2014: Returned e-mail with requested evidence to Sheffield
04 March 2014: Decision e-mail received from Sheffield, tracking number received for return documents

(Total processing time with Sheffield= 19 days)

06 March 2014: Return documents & passport received ***VISA APPROVED***

FLR (M) UK Settlement Spouse Visa (applied from within UK)

18 March 2014: Arrived in Manchester UK, Fiancée visa stamped
08 May 2014: Our Wedding Day!!
14 July 2014: FLR (M) sent to Durham, UK received (Part 1, spouse visa)
24 July 2014: Biometrics submitted at Post Office in Bolton UK, given 8 week timeline (would be 16 Sept at latest)
26 August 2014: Received all documents from Durham with passports and letters.
***VISA APPROVED***

27 August 2014: Received BRP via post valid until 2017 (Total processing time: 45 days/6 weeks)

DCF London I-130 CR-1 Spouse US Immigrant Visa (to Greencard LPR)

09 March 2015: Mailed I-130 Petition to US Embassy in London (1st step in obtaining Tom's US Greencard)

10 March 2015 I-130 delivered to US Embassy
13 March 2015: I-130 received, processed, and payment taken (NOA1 dated March 11)

26 March 2015: Mailed ACRO for police certificate

14 April 2015: Received ACRO in post

21 April 2015: I-130 approval notice received! (NOA2 dated April 20, 41 days)

14 May 2015: Letter from Immigrant Visa Unit, LND Number obtained (NOA 3, dated May 12, 3 weeks 4 days from I-130 approval)

15 May 2015L DS 260 filled online, medical appointment made (June 3, 2015) and registered with courier online

03 June 2015: Medical attended and PASSED! (See full review here for disabled immigrant applicant http://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/cr-1-ir-1-dcf-london-spouse-health-issues-858606/#post11665784)

06 June 2015: Knightsbridge confirms via e-mail that the file was delivered to the US Embassy

19 June 2015: Interview date received, courier arrangements made, notified US Embassy of spouse attending and wheelchair ramp assistance required (12 days from Knightsbridge confirm of delivery to Embassy)

14 July 2015: Interview attended and ***VISA APPROVED***!!! (see review here: http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/view-dos-cis-reviews.php?entry=17326)

21 July 2015: Visa delivered

09 November 2015: POE Miami, FL (via cruise ship from Southampton)

Timeline

I might just get a solicitor to witness the signature and check identification.

But I think this is more a matter for USCIS than the Embassy. Unless they operate under the same rules?

Timeline

Right I'm getting desperate now. Just called USCIS and it's impossible to talk to someone about general enquiries. Where can I find out this information? I have a few questions with the I-601 form but there's just no avenue of enquiry.

Timeline

Have you asked your Lawyer?

Timeline

yeah, he just suggested that someone he knew (from france) went to their mayor for authentication. And pointed me to the notary society web site. Which is no good because a notary would just say "well, who wants it and what are their requirements?" and I'd have to say that I don't specifically know because the info doesn't appear to be available anywhere.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.