NewBeginnings1

Annulement or Divorce - Possible Fraud

38 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Maybe its a Mexican thing or just my thing... but I would divorce his ### and never look back. I would not think of revenge less alone getting any money from such a despicable human being.

It is ultimately your decision... moving on is the only thing you will get something positive out of. Takes time but you will get there.

All the best,

UnaMexicana

:yes:Intelligence trumps muscle... Imagination trumps both! :yes:

IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Service Center : Nebraska Service Center
Consulate : Cd. Juarez, Mexico
Met: January, 2006 :D
Marriage (if applicable): 2012-10-26 (L)
I-130 Sent : 2014-08-01
I-130 NOA1 : 2014-08-04

I-130 NOA2 : 2015-05-14

Shipped to DoS: 2015-05-22

Received at NVC: 2015-06-01

Case Created at NVC: 2015-06-10 (from Julian Date calculation)

AOS and IV Fee Invoiced: 2015-06-11
AOS and IV Fee Paid: Website down as of 06-15... Just waiting...
AOS and IV Fee Paid: 2015-07-05 CEAC site finally UP! :dancing:

AOS and Civil Docs received at NVC: 2015-10-13

NVC checklist for obsolete i864: 2015-11-25

Submit updated i864: ?????? when my lawyer desires... :clock:
Submit updated i864: Did NOT wait for lawywer. Did it myself 2015-12-10
NVC received reply to checklist i864: 2015-12-10 (yes.. same day O.O)

NVC case completed: 2016-01-07
NVC assigned interview date: 2016-01-23
Interview at CJS consulate: 2016-03-30

Visa "Issued": 2016-04-05
Entered the US: 2016-04-27

SSN Arrived: 2016-05-07 ... wow TEN days!

N-400

Filed Online: 2020-06-30

NOA: 2020-07-01

Biometrics Letter: 2021-04-08
Biometrics Appointment: 2021-05-03
Interview Scheduled/Cancelled: 2021-06-25 (never received online nor mail notification, just an email reply to tier 2 inquiry about status)

Interview ReScheduled: 2021-11-02

Interview Date: 2021-11-30

Oath ceremony Scheduled/Cancelled/Placed in Line: 2021-12-01
Oath: 2022-1-24 ... JOURNEY OVER! 😺

event.png

event.png

Annulment is a common subject here and most times it is not possible, but something you need to discuss with your divorce lawyer.

I see a bad relationship but fraud would be very hard to prove and seemingly USCIS are unlikely to be that interested.

Strongly suggest you do whatever you need to do to protect your situation and let him sort out his immigration issues.

I don't know why annulments are bandied about as realistic options on here as much as they are. As Boiler says, it's a discussion to have with a divorce attorney. Proving fraud can be very difficult, unlike seeking an annulment on the basis of, say, incapacity due to age or bigamy. In most states, you will need to show clear and convincing evidence that you wouldn't have entered into the marriage but for the fraud. Can it be done? Yes, and some on VJ have successfully obtained an annulment. But means more money to attorneys, in general, than a divorce.

Divorce and move on, OP. Your soon-to-be ex is a piece of garbage. Leave him in the past. Good luck to you and your family.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline

Maybe its a Mexican thing or just my thing... but I would divorce his ### and never look back. I would not think of revenge less alone getting any money from such a despicable human being.

It is ultimately your decision... moving on is the only thing you will get something positive out of. Takes time but you will get there.

All the best,

UnaMexicana

In theory, I would agree not to take money from such a horrible person. But practically speaking, I'm assuming she will need that money. And she will need any penny that she can get. The money will be used towards the children. Also, it's not completely out of the question that this man could change in the future, and would want to be in his children's lives. Taking that away from him honestly isn't her decision. Also, where's the accountability for his actions? There needs to be at least some. No one gets away scot-free.

"A million years if I could live,
A thousand lives if I could give,
I would spend it all again with you,
Don't forget where you belong,
Only with me you are strong,
Not even the gods above can break,
Baby what we have"

Filed: Timeline

From a purely immigration perspective, you cannot really "sue for fraud." I'm not sure there is such thing. Annulment is generally limited to cases where the marriage was essentially invalid at the start, such as incestuous, incapacity (a party was too young to marry, or too drunk), etc.

If you choose to, you can inform USCIS of anything you like. However, there will not be an adversarial hearing where you can present evidence and cross-examine him. USCIS will give the evidence such credibility as they deem appropriate.

Without any real basis for what I'm about to say, I think a letter like this would be much more effective if you focus on reasons his ROC petition does not meet the standards, like you did not live together, did not comingle funds, did not interact as a married couple, rather than saying he is a slimeball. First, immigration laws do not exclude slimeballs, they exclude people who married solely for the immigration benefit. Second, you have to sound measured and reasoned, not like a mere offended and jilted spouse.

We all make mistakes in relationships; blissfully none of mine resulted in children. Your real focus here should be your children and ensuring they have financial support and a father. I had the luxury of doing what I could to impede my ex-wife's removal of conditions (apparently successfully), but if we had children I think I would have supported her effort to remain in the USA.

From a purely immigration perspective, you cannot really "sue for fraud." I'm not sure there is such thing. Annulment is generally limited to cases where the marriage was essentially invalid at the start, such as incestuous, incapacity (a party was too young to marry, or too drunk), etc.

An annulment absolutely may be based on fraudulent misrepresentation that induced the plaintiff to enter into the marriage.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

The other women lives in Canada, she is not in the US so no she is not an LPR.

Oh my bad....Annulment & show cite mental anguish (he blames you for the affair

the FB pics etc gather all that) The comment he marry you for papers (hear-say)

you could show as evidences....who knows, she is waiting for him to come to

Canada...after GC he'll go to her & get landing after he divorces you.Dump him

Oh my bad....Annulment & show cite mental anguish (he blames you for the affair

the FB pics etc gather all that) The comment he marry you for papers (hear-say)

you could show as evidences....who knows, she is waiting for him to come to

Canada...after GC he'll go to her & get landing after he divorces you.Dump him

what is "get landing"

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

what is "get landing"

Landing papers in Canada. Technically if he wants to live there illegally for a year he could get residency with her as a common law spouse as you can indeed do this without a divorce in Canada. Edited by Transborderwife

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.