alexsoph

Delay in delivery of approved visas from Montreal

48 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

So I know there's a topic about this issue already posted, but I wanted to have one just for Montreal in order to better compare wait times.

My K1 interview is scheduled for July 17th, and I start classes in NYC on August 13th. I'm getting really nervous about how long the process will take.

Fellow Montreal interviewees, how long of a wait has it been for you between your interview and when you had your passport back in hand?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

So I know there's a topic about this issue already posted, but I wanted to have one just for Montreal in order to better compare wait times.

My K1 interview is scheduled for July 17th, and I start classes in NYC on August 13th. I'm getting really nervous about how long the process will take.

Fellow Montreal interviewees, how long of a wait has it been for you between your interview and when you had your passport back in hand?

It's hard to tell. I've been waiting 3 weeks and my visa has yet to be issued. Someone on here has been waiting on Montreal for 11 weeks, with a clean interview and no 221(g), while others who interviewed after me have already received their visas. I'd say to plan on being in NYC for August 13, but save yourself a possible headache and do not book any travel until you have the passport in your hands.

Edited by JJ Day

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

It took me 20 days after my interview to receive my visa, but I also had to arrange to have it shipped further than the initial destination they allowed me to select. (The joys of living in the middle of nowhere). However, it still took about 18 days to get to the first destination.

I agree though that every case is different and for now you should keep your plans to be in the U.S. In August. You may have to change some things as time goes on and you have a better idea of the timeline, but that is often the nature of this process.

Best wishes!

Our Journey

1st communication: February 26th 2014

1st visit: (Canada) July 9th - 17th 2014

2nd visit: (Canada) August 15th - 19th 2014

3rd visit: (United States) September 27th - November 10th 2014

ENGAGED!!!! November 3rd 2014

4th visit: (Canada) December 22nd 2014 - January 2nd 2015

(Our first Christmas & New Years together!)

5th visit: (Canada) February 25th 2015 - March 3rd 2015

Visa Process

Sent I-129F: January 17th 2015

NOA1: (CSC) January 22nd 2015

NOA2: February 4th 2015

NVC: February 24th 2015

Consulate: (Vancouver) March 4th 2015

*Documents sent from Vancouver Consulate to Montreal Consulate : March 5th 2015

Consulate: (Montreal) March 18th 2015

Packet #3: March 18th 2015

Packet #3 Sent: March 30th 2015

Packet #4 Received: April 9th 2015

Medical: May 20th 2015

Interview: May 27th 2015

APPROVED!!! :D

Visa Issued: June 9th 2015

Visa Received: June 16th 2015

Entered United States: June 28th 2015

Home: July 1st 2015

MARRIED!!! (September 5th 2015)

Timeline

No idea. I've emailed a bunch and gotten the same generic message each time. I jut tried calling and I guess they don't accept incoming calls =(

8/10/2015 - Married

9/15/2015 - Mailed AOS packages

9/16/2015 - USPS Tracking confirms delivery

Timeline

Same. Interview June 17. They respond to emails quite quickly, so I'm not sure why they can't process visas as quickly. People who interviewed long after us are already in the US, so I have no idea what's going on. I wonder if the CO who did your interview is responsible for your visa right up until its issuance, and some are just faster than others. If that's the case, I think I'm in for a wait. He was super friendly and nice, but I didn't get the impression that efficiency is his strong suit. That's what all this waiting has done to me, haha! I'm assigning personalities to the people in the Montreal consulate now. Here's hoping this is the week for all of us June interviews who are still waiting.

Edited by JJ Day

Timeline

Same. Interview June 17. They respond to emails quite quickly, so I'm not sure why they can't process visas as quickly. People who interviewed long after us are already in the US, so I have no idea what's going on. I wonder if the CO who did your interview is responsible for your visa right up until its issuance, and some are just faster than others. If that's the case, I think I'm in for a wait. He was super friendly and nice, but I didn't get the impression that efficiency is his strong suit. That's what all this waiting has done to me, haha! I'm assigning personalities to the people in the Montreal consulate now. Here's hoping this is the week for all of us June interviews who are still waiting.

I have no idea how it works but I swear I've been the last out of my group to receive everything. It's been over a year for this whole process. In Montreal they couldn't get over how organized my paperwork was. The interview was flawless. I paid long ahead of time...I'm just so frustrated. I've got 2 teenagers to register in middle school and high school that is supposed to start August 16th. I was really hoping that they could start with everyone else. I just wish you could call and get some sort of an update from Montreal.

8/10/2015 - Married

9/15/2015 - Mailed AOS packages

9/16/2015 - USPS Tracking confirms delivery

Timeline

Is it Montreal specifically that seems to be delayed vs. other consulates, or are there random cases from Montreal that are moving faster than others?

I've seen people with interview dates as late as June 30 get their passports back already. I think they may have cleared the May backlog, except for any applications in AP. They do seem to do them in batches, so I'm hoping we're in the next batch. I'm trying not to be worried, but I might be living in a moving truck if it doesn't arrive by the end of the month.

Timeline

I've seen people with interview dates as late as June 30 get their passports back already. I think they may have cleared the May backlog, except for any applications in AP. They do seem to do them in batches, so I'm hoping we're in the next batch. I'm trying not to be worried, but I might be living in a moving truck if it doesn't arrive by the end of the month.

Is that people who interviewed in Montreal or elsewhere?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.