Maria4Garrett

SSN for k2 ( 11-year old ) (merged thread)

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

My husband's insurance company is asking for my son's SSN so he can be included. Unfortunately we didn't get his own because we were told he needs to change his status first ( from nonimmigrant to immigrant ). What shall we do now? How can my son avail the health insurance? He will be entering school next month and needs to get medical and dental check-ups. Please help!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Sounds like the child came over on a K2 Visa?

For the K2 visa child to apply for and obtain a Social Security Number (SSN), the child will need to apply for and obtain either a 2-yr Green Card (GC) (through AOS) and/or an Employment Authorization Document (EAD). Current AOS processing times tend to be quite prolonged, EAD cards are processed in 60-90 days. With either the EAD, or the GC, the child can fill out a SS-5 and obtain their SSN.

There are no additional fees for the EAD/Advance Parole (AP) card if the applications are submitted concurrently with the AOS application.

http://www.uscis.gov/i-485

Good luck on your immigration journey.

~Moved from Fam.-based AOS to SSN Forum~

~Inquiry about SSN~

Edited by Pitaya

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

Sounds like the child came over on a K2 Visa?

For the K2 visa child to apply for and obtain a Social Security Number (SSN), the child will need to apply for and obtain either a 2-yr Green Card (GC) (through AOS) and/or an Employment Authorization Document (EAD). Current AOS processing times tend to be quite prolonged, EAD cards are processed in 60-90 days. With either the EAD, or the GC, the child can fill out a SS-5 and obtain their SSN.

There are no additional fees for the EAD/Advance Parole (AP) card if the applications are submitted concurrently with the AOS application.

http://www.uscis.gov/i-485

~Moved from Fam.-based AOS to SSN Forum~

~Inquiry about SSN~

Thank you so much for the quick response ! The child came with me and already submitted AOS , biometrics next week. I'll send the EAD APPLICATION now.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Thank you so much for the quick response ! The child came with me and already submitted AOS , biometrics next week. I'll send the EAD APPLICATION now.

My 13 year old K2 also doesn't have a SSN. We just got married a few weeks ago and haven't applied for AOS yet but i have my SSN. For our insurance forms we put N/A next to her name and then added an explanation in a cover message that we will supply this as soon as it comes available and we are preparing to make the necessary application. The school informed us that they will enrol her without an SSN.

Lee & William

8/2/2014 - Sent I-129F Petition with USPS by Express Mail    
8/4/2014 - I-129F delivered to dropbox    8/6/2014 - NOA1 Text/E-Mail received    8/11/2014 - Alien Registration Number Changed (Text/E-Mail) / NOA1 Letter received by Mail    3/16/2015 - NOA2 Text/E-Mail received (224 days)    3/20/2015 - Sent to NVC    3/31/2015 - NVC Received    4/1/2015 - Case Number Assigned       4/7/2015 - NVC Sent to Embassy    4/10/2015 - London Embassy Received    4/11/2015 - Medical     4/15/2015 - Packet 3 Received    4/12/2015 - Packet 3 Sent    4/23/2015 - Packet 4 Received    5/18/2015 - Interview - APPROVED     5/30/2015 - Visa collected from courier    6/1/2015 - POE    6/14/2015 - Wedding 💍💍

Timeline

My 13 year old K2 also doesn't have a SSN. We just got married a few weeks ago and haven't applied for AOS yet but i have my SSN. For our insurance forms we put N/A next to her name and then added an explanation in a cover message that we will supply this as soon as it comes available and we are preparing to make the necessary application. The school informed us that they will enrol her without an SSN.

Timeline

My husband's medical insurance is too strict. The dental insurance was ok . I would suggest you apply for EAD on your child too when you file for AOS. As what they said on here, it's easier to get SSN thru EAD than waiting for the GC. We could've known this before. I will try to call the school regarding his medical check-up. I may ask if they could consider the medical records we have along with vaccinations book.

Timeline

A bit relieved after my husband talked to his insurance company and promised to submit my son's SSN as soon as we get it. I mailed a follow -up EAD for him so he can apply for SSN and hopefully we both get approve! I wonder if he should get another biometric appointment after our next week appointment ( AOS for both of us and EAD only for me ).

Piece of advice to those who are applying AOS with K2: apply EAD for your K2 too! It's important in getting SSN for them.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Ongoing topic threads merged~

~No need to start different thread~

(mod hat off)

Good to hear that things are on the right path. Report back here with any progress.

You give good advice. I have been preaching the same mantra since I first read about it 3 years ago in the "Calling All K2 AOSers.." pinned thread, located at the top of the Fam.-based AOS Forum page: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/287035-calling-all-k-2-aosers-past-and-present/

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Portugal
Timeline

How can you get an EAD for a child under 16? Aren't there child labor laws for that?

The K1 journey:                                                                                                                             The AOS journey:

11/09/2013 - I-129F Packet mailed to Dallas Lockbox                                                                                         06/22/2015 - AOS packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox

02/14/2014 - Case shipped to Embassy, where it waited for over a year at my request                                 11/07/2015 - AOS approved (EAD and AP had already been approved) - there was no interview

05/21/2015 - Interview - Approved

06/19/2015 - Wedding (L) 

The ROC journey:                                                                                                                         

10/12/2017 - ROC packet mailed to VSC

01/21/2019 - ROC Approved - there was no interview

The N-400 journey:

02/16/2020 - N-400 application filed online

02/21/2020 - Paper NOA received in the mail

03/13/2020 - Biometrics

02/02/2021 - Interview & test - Approved

02/05/2021 - Oath Ceremony

JOrOp1.png

Timeline

How can you get an EAD for a child under 16? Aren't there child labor laws for that?

I already applied EAD for my 11 year old as what the seniors advised. We are now waiting for response.

Edited by Maria4Garrett

• 5 years later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

This thread is six years old but I thought I would add something to it as I am searching for answers myself. When I filed for AOS for wife and kids, the youngest was 9 at the time. I filed for her EAD with the precept of obtaining a SSN, I even added that on the form. That form is still pending action even though my daughter, now 10 just received her 'green card'. Now I have to figure out what I need to obtain her SSN so I can have her listed as a dependent on my income tax forms.

USCIS I-129F Petition:   image.png.5e26813a0fee6f4065ce829758e29731.png      

image.png.66176722dd07631b884c6730df9ff788.pngimage.png.63696e1e1440439256be59ac086d18bb.png

Dept of State K1 Visa:   image.png.9a78db6ac742a01a01d0b157963311c8.png       image.png.8b2371c75847cbfbc45e7dc896f8ba1f.pngimage.png.e0b583662f868174b3c52088da49263c.pngimage.png.7f70a1e5e353924875a93c2b082fbee0.png
USCIS I-485 Petition:   

image.png.465aaf5ca7c51799120b0fab7f99afe5.png

image.png.e0b583662f868174b3c52088da49263c.pngimage.png.7f70a1e5e353924875a93c2b082fbee0.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
7 hours ago, Stubmeister said:

This thread is six years old but I thought I would add something to it as I am searching for answers myself. When I filed for AOS for wife and kids, the youngest was 9 at the time. I filed for her EAD with the precept of obtaining a SSN, I even added that on the form. That form is still pending action even though my daughter, now 10 just received her 'green card'. Now I have to figure out what I need to obtain her SSN so I can have her listed as a dependent on my income tax forms.

Her EAD won't get approved, since she got her green card. You will have to set up an appointment with your local SSO to apply for her SSC.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.