sailorgal

URGENT! K-1 visa interview next Friday. Now have a serious doubt.

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Hi -

I am doing k1 visa as well and spoke to a lawyer in India who specializes in US visas in India. General suggestion is that the CO suspect that married couples file for K1. This is due to cultural reasons specific to India. So I would suggest removing any chat/transcript that indicates words like wife, spouse or husband. And in the interview if you have a ring - remove that as well.

I don't think ticket is necessary to show. In the interview if anything comes up - you can say you blocked a ticket.

Demonstrate you are aware of the process that you plan to marry in 90 days after landing.

Good luck - please share your interview experience. Chances are my fiancée will go to Mumbai Consulate as well.

Thanks,

Hi thanks a lot. Sorry for the late response I was travelling for the interview. Biometric went by real smooth and I was in and out in 5 minutes with around 10 minutes of waiting outside in the queue. I will write more in the consulate review. I went by everybody's suggestion here and removed any conversation screen shots that had 'suspicious words' in them and replaced those with other conversations. I already am not wearing the ring because it is with the jewelry store for repairs. But I am carrying a receipt from the store with just in case they want to see the ring. And I like your idea about telling them that we have only blocked a ticket but they might ask me for an evidence there and I have none so I am just not going to say anything about the travel plans. I will definitely share my experience in the review section. Hopefully everything goes well tomorrow *nervous*

And thanks a lot I need luck, loads of good luck tomorrow.

March 24, 2015: K1 petition mailed to Lewisville, TX via UPS

March 27, 2015: UPS tracking shows USCIS has received the petition

March 31, 2015: NOA1 notification received in email and text with USCIS receipt number (7 days after submitting the petition)

April 24, 2015: Case approved by USCIS (24 days after receiving NOA1)

May 1, 2015: NOA2 received in mail

May 14, 2015: Case getting processed at NVC

May 19, 2015: NVC processing done

May 24, 2015: Letter from NVC received (31 days after receiving NOA2) (case forwarded to consulate, interview location allotted)

May 25, 2015: I receive Packet 3 from United States Consulate General, Mumbai

May 28, 2015: Filled DS-160 form online, confirmation received and printed

June 1, 2015: Visa fees paid. Consular interview and OFC scheduled for 10 July, 2015

June 15, 2015: Medical examination

July 10, 2015: Visa interview at Mumbai Consulate. Visa approved!!

July 11, 13, 15, 2015: Case status on caec changed to 'Ready' on each mentioned date and case creation dates updated on each mentioned date
July 16, 2015: Case creation date updated, case status changed to 'Administrative Processing'
July 17, 2015: Case status updated to 'Issued' passport dispatched through BlueDart, DHL

July 20, 2015: Received passport with my visa on it and a sealed yellow envelope

September 2, 2015: POE Orlando, Florida

September 17, 2015: Courthouse marriage. We're married!

October 8, 2015: AOS, EAD and AP application submitted via UPS

October 19, 2015: NOA1 for AOS, EAD and AP received in mail

October 24, 2015: Civil marriage with families present. We're married, again!

October 27, 2015: Biometric notice received in mail

November 2, 2015: Biometrics done (walk-in at Orlando center) and RFE received in email for GC appliaction

January 7, 2016: EAD, AP approved (91 days after submitting the AOS application)

March 11, 2016: GC approved

May 6, 2020: Filed N400 online

May 7, 2020: Online receipt confirming USCIS received my case for N400 online (hard copy received in mail)

August 7, 2020: Online notification of biometrics reuse (hard copy received in mail)

August 14, 2020: Online notification for interview appointment (hard copy received in mail)

September 23, 2020: Naturalization interview, case approved, took oath, and just like that I am now a citizen of the United States!

Timeline

I would consider taking out the husband part of the conversation. If they suspect you are married you will be denied. People on here have gotten into trouble because they called each other husband/wife, hubbie/wiffie.

I removed those texts and replaced them with others. I hope I will be okay now.

Good luck on your travel and congratulations on your wedding :) can't wait for mine!

March 31, 2015: NOA1 notification received in email and text with USCIS receipt number (7 days after submitting the petition)

May 24, 2015: Letter from NVC received (31 days after receiving NOA2) (case forwarded to consulate, interview location allotted)

June 1, 2015: Visa fees paid. Consular interview and OFC scheduled for 10 July, 2015

July 11, 13, 15, 2015: Case status on caec changed to 'Ready' on each mentioned date and case creation dates updated on each mentioned date
July 16, 2015: Case creation date updated, case status changed to 'Administrative Processing'
July 17, 2015: Case status updated to 'Issued' passport dispatched through BlueDart, DHL

July 20, 2015: Received passport with my visa on it and a sealed yellow envelope

November 2, 2015: Biometrics done (walk-in at Orlando center) and RFE received in email for GC appliaction

January 7, 2016: EAD, AP approved (91 days after submitting the AOS application)

May 7, 2020: Online receipt confirming USCIS received my case for N400 online (hard copy received in mail)

August 7, 2020: Online notification of biometrics reuse (hard copy received in mail)

August 14, 2020: Online notification for interview appointment (hard copy received in mail)

September 23, 2020: Naturalization interview, case approved, took oath, and just like that I am now a citizen of the United States!

Timeline

warning on editing chat. They have access to your data and they will not like edited submissions.

That does not sound too good. In fact a little scary even but like someone here said I think so too that they don't use NSA or that kind of snooping around on people. May be they check Facebook but I hope it is not more than that. It will be an intrusion into our privacy; none of us would want to share our private conversations with a stranger and never all the more if he is a consular officer!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

back at post #1.

It's a lot of stuff to digest, but one thing I twigged on -

do not use the advice of a B1 visa chaser as gospel, the rules of adjudication on visas is different.

That's it..

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

I would definitely remove the part about being glad to have him as your husband. I would be cautious with hubby/wifey stuff..... you probably have many pages of chat, why not just pick something examples that do not have hubby/wifey? Keep it simple.

As for your ring, if it's an engagement ring I would wear it. When my wife went for her k1 interview in New Delhi, they asked about if she had an engagement ring then they asked to see it. So if you have an engagement ring, wear it proudly. If you have a wedding band, I would leave that at home.

You have a great shot at being ready for September, but it's a risk. You can be in AP for a long time plus there's no guarantee you will get the visa. With that being said, I'm going to assume your fiance cannot get a refund for the tickets so you might as well keep them for now. If you have all your paperwork, do everything correctly, and can readily answer the questions they ask you there's a 90%+ chance you will be fine.....

Hubby/wifey parts removed, engagement ring at the jewelry store for repairs so can't wear it but I have the repairs receipt that I am going to take with me just in case they ask. I hope I don't have to go through AP and I have taken every document with me I could think of so let's hope I fall in the 90% approval window and not the 10% denial window.

Timeline

What evidence has already been submitted to them? Are you bringing additional evidence that was not submitted with the application originally?

I don't think USCIS is going to use the NSA to see your internet communications.

Travelling to the USA and making wedding plans is normal for people who are engaged. They are not going to be offended that you are presuming your visa will be granted or something. I wish people would read on here before they made plans like this though - the visa process is very uncertain and no plans should be made until you have the visa in your hand.

Be careful here. They are going to ask you when your wedding date is, where your wedding will be, things like this. You do not want to get caught contradicting yourself. How do you avoid this? Tell the truth 100%. You have wedding plans and flight plans. Don't try to hide stuff... you don't want to appear sneaky. That is my advice...

edit: Sorry I forgot to address the husband/wife part. Probably a good idea to remove that and call him your fiance. I have heard interviewers ask "is your husband blah blah blah" and if you don't say "fiance, not husband" they get weird. Don't worry too much - just relax and be honest.

We have already submitted pictures together and facebook/whatsapp/skype conversations from right when we met to when my fiance submitted the visa application in March '15. I'm just taking conversations after the month of March until now with me to the interview. And I know may be buying the tickets before the visa wasn't a smart choice on our end but ahh I think it was a 'on a spur of the moment' kinda decision we took. I mean riding through the uncertainty of the visa process we just wanted to make a few things that we had under our control, certain.

Though yes I don't want to appear sneaky and give them any chance to deny my visa or send me into AP.

Ah okay so they do that on purpose to test us? Say husband when they mean fiance? Thank you I will keep that on my mind.

Timeline

Don't edit but definitely do not submit entire conversations where you call each other husband and wife or you can easily be denied.

NEVER make definite travel plans until visa in hand but since you already booked a flight it doesn't matter if you let them know or not.

You can submit wedding plans, no problem with that except you may lose all your deposits if you aren't approved or go into AP, some embassies

like to see wedding plans.

As to what can they see in your chats and social media account, email etc....everything they want to but that doesn't mean that they will

or do it automatically. Anything you don't want seen online don't put it there is the best policy.

Yes I agree. Removed any suspicious parts from the conversations. I hope I don't go into AP we forgot to consider that when my fiance brought my ticket but I am just going to be positive and hope everything goes well.

Your timeline was inspiring. Takes a lot to handle a denial and start from the scratch all over again. Kudos to you!

man you did good do you knew or heard anything about k3 visa help

THANKS DEAR

Hey sorry I know nothing about K3 visa so I can't help you on that one. May be you could refer K3 forum over here on VJ if they have one.

Good luck!

Timeline

back at post #1.

It's a lot of stuff to digest, but one thing I twigged on -

do not use the advice of a B1 visa chaser as gospel, the rules of adjudication on visas is different.

That's it..

It was a lot for me as well and I came to know of it right like a week before my interview and it sent me straight into a panic mode.

I guess I will find out what is and is not at the interview though yes I am sure they have different rules and criterion for very visa category.

Timeline

The OP fixed this situation. However, for the benefit of others who are reading this thread: The above advice is perhaps the worst ever offered on VisaJourney. If the consul suspects that you're married, you WILL be refused the visa and will be placed in the position of trying to "prove a negative."

In general, provide the consul with information that YOU want HIM to see.

OP, looking forward to a positive report.

I hope you can help me out here. For others I will write a detailed consulate review/interview experience in some days but right now I need some inputs here. So the interview happened today a few hours back was good, the consular officer kept my passport and all my documents said "so your interview was fine, you will hear from us soon through an SMS and you will have your passport mailed to you in a few days" and then sent me off and I was on my way back when they called me back to the consulate for a re-interview; reason being the CO suspected we were married already by looking at our engagement pictures (the pictures that he had looked at already while interviewing me the first time and back then was like "cool!"). I explained to him what an India engagement ceremony is and how it is different from a marriage he saw the entire photo album (which he did not in my first interview).

Then while submitting the original petition to the USCIS we did not pay so much attention towards the hubby wifey stuff and those words accidently crept into our texts so at the re-interview he asked me if we were married, I said no, and then the engagement photo album thing happened. He seemed convinced and then said "thank you I just wanted to clarify these facts" and kept my documents and passport again.

My question to you is, did I screw it up? And does keeping passport means a visa? I do know it could mean AP as well but they did not deny the visa on my straight face. Now I am just afraid about AP or them mailing me a denied visa application with no visa on it. Do they do that? Keep every thing at the end of the interview and then mail a denied application? I have read over other forums here how if a visa application is denied they give you back your visa right there and tell you it has been denied. I did not get a 221g thing either. So what do you think?

Appreciate inputs from anybody else reading this. Thank you.

Forgot to add the weirdest part - he did not ask for any sort of financial documents from me, no affidavit of support, no tax returns from my fiance's job, no pay stubs no nothing. It that weird or do they do that sometimes?

Edited by sailorgal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.