MiltonAnaya

has anyone ever sent off their AOS over a year later of getting married ??

10 posts in this topic

Hey guys ! It's been a while and a roller coaster!

It's been a year and four months since my then fiancé entered the U.S. with a K-1 Visa... we got married within the 90 day period but never got around to sending off the AOS packet . Because I kept thinking I had to send off all the petitions together and we were always being side tracked by something else and couldn't save up the $1,070 for it .

Anyway, yesterday I finally sent it off . Woke up , took our 2 year old to daycare and pretty much ran to the post office . I was in a rush just because I felt for some reason that something may stop me and delay everything even more lol.

I shipped it over night and they received it today but I guess it hasn't been opened because I haven't receive a text or email confirmation ... Super anxious haha

I was wondering if anyone had waiting that long before ? Because I know that his I-94 expired and he was without status. Could that affect us in any way ? Or is it just good that we sent it off already ?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

some people wait up to 2 years.

what you've described is 'no problem' to USCIS.

Once the receipt notice is in his hands, a new period of authorized stay commences.

Once the greencard is issued, any overstay is automagically forgiven by USCIS.

HTH!

[to see actual timelines with large gaps between marriage and filing AOS, hey ! get on a PC, study the timelines section]

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Also wanted to add that, while you should have no problems filing for AOS more than a year after you entered as K1, be careful when traveling outside the USA without a GC, even after you have been issued an EAD/AP combo card. You have been out of status for a year and immigration might give you headaches when you reenter. Just a heads up :)

K1 Timeline:

02/28/2014 - I-129F Submitted
04/08/2014 - I-129F NOA2 Received

07/03/2014 - SLEC Medical Appointment 1 (Result: Sputum Culture)

09/18/2014 - SLEC Medical Appointment 2 (Result: Passed)

10/14/2014 - K1 Visa Interview (Result: Approved)

10/23/2014 - K1 Visa Issued

11/09/2014 - Entered USA (POE: Los Angeles)

01/02/2015 - Wedding Day

AOS Timeline:

03/02/2015 - I-485 Submitted (with I-765 & I-131)

03/13/2015 - I-485 NOA Received (with NOA for I-765 & I-131)

03/30/2015 - Biometrics Appointment Completed

05/12/2015 - I-785 & I-131 Approved

05/20/2015 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received

06/10/2015 - AOS Interview (Result: Approved)

06/18/2015 - Conditional Green Card Received

ROC Timeline:

05/15/2017 - I-751 Submitted 
05/26/2017 - I-751 NOA Received 
06/13/2017 - Biometrics Appointment Completed

07/18/2017 - Extension NOA Received (twelve month extension)
03/05/2018 - I-751 Received by Local Office
04/20/2018 - Infopass Appointment (Result: I-551 Stamp on Passport, six-month extension)

06/18/2018 - Extension NOA Received (eighteen month extension)

10/29/2019 - Infopass Appointment (Result: I-551 Stamp on new Passport)

11/06/2019 - I-751 Approved

11/14/2019 - Permanent Green Card Received

Also wanted to add that, while you should have no problems filing for AOS more than a year after you entered as K1, be careful when traveling outside the USA without a GC, even after you have been issued an EAD/AP combo card. You have been out of status for a year and immigration might give you headaches when you reenter. Just a heads up :)

Thanx so much :) we don't plan on traveling till he has one

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I believe that you will also have to file a Form I-130, in addition to the Form- I-485, since you didn't properly complete the K1 Visa process.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/441509-did-you-file-the-i-130-with-i-485-while-adjusting-from-k-1/

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Timeline

I believe that you will also have to file a Form I-130, in addition to the Form- I-485, since you didn't properly complete the K1 Visa process.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/441509-did-you-file-the-i-130-with-i-485-while-adjusting-from-k-1/

They did -- they got married within 90 days of entering.

They did -- they got married within 90 days of entering.

Yes, we got married within the 90 days and have only been married for a year

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Yes, we got married within the 90 days and have only been married for a year

Oh, sounds good.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.