vikki1ouise

Any help appreciated! No idea where to start! Thank you

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi, my partner has been offered a job in the US. From what I can make out he will be able to apply for a work visa. Is this correct?.....He has asked that I go with him, can anyone please tell me what type of visa I would be able to apply for? We are not married and what makes it a little more complicated is that I have two young children from a previous relationship, so they would obviously need visas too. Any help/advice would be very much appreciated as I really have no idea where to start

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

he doesn't apply, the company that wants to employ him will do all the paperwork, and depending on the type of work visa it would be. in order for you all to come, you'd have to be married

if you are not legally married you cannot come

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

Hi, my partner has been offered a job in the US. From what I can make out he will be able to apply for a work visa. Is this correct?.....He has asked that I go with him, can anyone please tell me what type of visa I would be able to apply for? We are not married and what makes it a little more complicated is that I have two young children from a previous relationship, so they would obviously need visas too. Any help/advice would be very much appreciated as I really have no idea where to start

If it's just the offer without employer willing to apply for a visa, its pretty worthless. If employers applies and he gets the visa, there's no visa you can apply for other than tourist one that provides limited amount of time you can spend in US.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The company would need to file for the visa, nothing for him to 'apply' for as of yet.

what about you, do you have a skill set that would be desirable in the US? Could YOU get a job offer from a company that would be willing to file the paperwork for a visa?

If not, then marriage would be the way to go if your partner's company is willing to file for a visa

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

My buddy just went the work visa route with our company. He previously worked for the company in Australia, and with his skills, the company decided to bring him to the U.S. as the Austalian branch is closing. The company did the application as well as the application for his wife and children. The company will also handle the eventual AOS for all of them when that time comes.

In short, if the offer is genuine, the company will do the visa application as they have to show a reason for bringing your partner in place of a U.S. worker. If you are not legally married, this will not include you in my opinion.

Good Luck!

Edited by Bill & Katya

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

He should have a chat with the Companies Immigration Lawyer, come back and let us know what they say.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Hi again, thank you all so much for your replies, its very much appreciated. Sorry for my lateness in replying to you!

Looks like I will be getting married soon then haha....unfortunately I do not have a skill that would be desirable to the US :(

I have been doing a little bit of research when I have had 5 minutes or so to spare and I came across the UK US embassy site where it mentions that there are 3 ways in which someone can be sponsored for a visa and they are as follows: through a family member who is a lawful permanent resident of the US, by a friend who is a lawful permanent resident of the US or by a US employer.

We have friends in the US in the state that we wish to emigrate to, maybe they could sponsor us? Does anyone know if this is an option at all?

Also if we are lucky enough to obtain a visa does anyone know how long we would have to remain in the US until we are able to visit the UK again? Bit of an odd question but both my partners and my brother are getting married next year and we would obviously want to be there but I have heard that once a visa is obtained you have to remain the US for 2 years...is this correct?

Sorry for all the questions, I really have tried to google a lot of this but I just seem to be going around in circles. Thank you again to all those that have already replied :)

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

You've heard a lot of things that are absolute rubbish.

If you get a greencard you're not trapped in the US at all, you can come and go as much as you like. You just have to be sure you spend most of your time in the states.

As for visas, where did you read that you can get one through a friend? There's no 'friend' visa at all.

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Can you post the link which outlines the 'friend' route to which you are hoping to get sponsorship?

good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Hi, I phoned the UK US Embassy....sorry it doesn't actually state friend, I've just listened to the automated message again and it states that a lawful and permanent US resident may sponsor your visa....I was making notes and I noted down friend?....I just assumed that this might be a possible route...sorry for any confusion....I heard from a US resident that once a visa is obtained you have to remain in the US for a set amount of time, could it be that the visa terms are different from a green cards terms?....I apologize if I sound silly :(

Timeline

A permanent resident can sponsor a spouse or an unmarried child.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Depends which one it is, varies a lot.

Oh rubbish! :( errrmmm....my partner would be considered as a skilled worker....and he would be applying for a permanent position....I've noted down that it may be an I-140 (E3) that would be required but don't quote me on that....as you can probably guess I'm not very good at this :(

Timeline

EB3?

Really you do not need to know that much, just find our from the Lawyer the proposed route and we can comment.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.