geekmee

Find Alien Registration Number without filing FOIA?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Is there a way to find my wife's Alien Registration Number without filing a Freedom Of Information Act request?

She says important papers were stolen from her house several years ago, including this Alien Registration Number.

I have her I-94 Border Card, is it one of the numbers displaying along the bottom of the card?

I am a US Citizen getting ready to file a Adjustment of Status for my wife of 3 years who lives with me in the states. The I-30 Petition form is asking for this Alien Registration Number. Is there any other way I can find this number without filing a Freedom Of Information Request?

Thanks

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Let me ask you something:

-Was she a resident already? If so, why are you adjusting status?

Because:

Alien Registration Number (“A” Number) or Alien Number
A unique seven-, eight- or nine-digit number assigned to a noncitizen at the time his or her A-file is created. The 9-digit U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services number listed on the front of Permanent Resident Cards (Form I-551) issued after May 10, 2010, is the same as the Alien Registration Number. The A-number can also be found on the back of these Permanent Resident Cards

The Alien registration number should be as the above mentions in the immigrant visa and Permanent Resident Card. Also in the Employment Authorization Card.

In here: http://www.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_find_your_alien_registration_number

"If you have no documentation, and you have lost your Permanent Resident Card or certificate of naturalization, you may make an Infopass appointment through the USCIS.GOV website: infopass.uscis.gov, to go to your local USCIS office with official photo identification, and using your birthdate and name an information officer will be able to look up your number. Of course, you should then submit an application to replace your lost document, and unfortunately, that can be somewhat expensive."

I hope that helps.

Edited by Eric & Idalia

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K1 Progress to General Immigration-Related Discussion Forum~

~Inquiry applicable to numerous immigration processes, not K1~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

My wife, as I understand it, is a non-status alien.

She entered the USA legally as a visitor back in 2007. Her visa just expired in Feb 2015.

I didn't know her when she entered the country. I met her in 2010 and married her in 2012, and her two teenage children who were 12 and 15 at the time of the marriage.

(Do I need the kids Alien Registration Numbers as well??)

I am now trying to get her status adjusted as my wife, as well as the kids.

Since she is now my wife, I am thinking the lack of Alien Registration Number is an administrative issue and should not hold up the processing of my I-30 and I-485 for her... I am thinking about submitting the forms without this info.

-Greg

Timeline

I think Alien registration numbers are assigned once someone becomes a legal permanent resident. So if your wife overstayed her visitor visa and was not a permanent resident anytime before that, I don't think she has one A-number.

Timeline

Yes that is correct, she did overstay her visit.

She says the lack of Alien Registration Number is not a big deal, but I am just trying to follow the information requested on the form.

Thanks

Timeline

Yes that is correct, she did overstay her visit.

She says the lack of Alien Registration Number is not a big deal, but I am just trying to follow the information requested on the form.

Thanks

I was an au pair two years and tourist many times before the CR1 process. When my husband filed the I-130 and I-864, I didn't have an alien registration number. So we left it empty. Read the instruction of each form. They will tell you to leave it empty or put "NA".

I got it my CR1 visa this week, and on it and another paper the A-number is shown.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

OP - it's definite that your spouse not have an Alien Registration Number. I'll bet your last 3 paychecks on it.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

They won't give you an alien number just based on a visa. I've had two visas in the states and never got one.

She will be assigned one during the visa process. Just fill in NONE or leave it empty (whatever the instructions say you should do) as she doesn't have one.

Timeline

Thank all of you for your responses....

I was feeling a little uncomfortable with her telling me her lack of Alien Registration Number was "No big deal".... but with her "non-status alien" It's starting to make sense now.

Edited by geekmee

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.