sapha12

A Worry About Changing Addresses On The American Side

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey All :)!

I'm Chris and my beautiful fiancée's name is Becca. We just got our NOA2 on Monday. SO STOKED. : |

Anyways, on the I-129f we filed, under Question #28, "Address in the United States where you fiancé(e) intends to live.", her parents' home address as she was living with them at the time. At the beginning of June, she moved into the apartment we will be sharing when we get married after everything clears.

We are worried that we will run into a problem or a delay if we call USCIS to update that section.

Has anyone had that problem before? What did you do in this case?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated for very obvious reasons! :)

Thanks!,

- Chris and Becca

Timeline

Yes, and I have read that before, but it reads like the forms are for people who have already moved to the United States while I am still in Canada and won't be moving down until my visa clears. : /

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

a new address can be captured when the ds-160 is submitted,

but

USCIS doesn't care, as there's nothing they will send to you between :

1. you receiving the NOA-2 on the I-129F (that's occured already)

2. you two filing the Adjustment of Status casefile.

They really don't care, between these 2 timeticks, as they have no involvement in the beneficiary's life again until the Adjustment of Status casefile is filed.

Relax. Seriously, relax. Yer lass has a paper NOA-2 in her hand. Oh wait. let's assume she does not. Tell her to rescind any forwarding order done to the USPS between her parents' house and her new apartment, this morning or on Monday.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

a new address can be captured when the ds-160 is submitted,

but

USCIS doesn't care, as there's nothing they will send to you between :

1. you receiving the NOA-2 on the I-129F (that's occured already)

2. you two filing the Adjustment of Status casefile.

They really don't care, between these 2 timeticks, as they have no involvement in the beneficiary's life again until the Adjustment of Status casefile is filed.

Relax. Seriously, relax. Yer lass has a paper NOA-2 in her hand. Oh wait. let's assume she does not. Tell her to rescind any forwarding order done to the USPS between her parents' house and her new apartment, this morning or on Monday.

Apologies... I'm not sure I understood half of what you said.

When does the DS-160 come into play for the K-1?

Even if I won't be dealing with USCIS directly between now and Adjustment of Status, won't I have to report the new address to somebody as I wouldn't want to get to the interview and them wonder if they see a discrepancy between what was filed on the form and where I tell them I will be living? I'm just wondering.

Also, she doesn't have the paper NOA-2 yet, though that shall be coming in a few more days :). Also, I don't understand what you meant by "Tell her to rescind any forwarding order done to the USPS between her parents' house and her new apartment, this morning or on Monday." Any clarification would be most helpful!

- Chris

My fiancé moved at the beginning of June and we updated his address via Case Status on the USCIS website. It was changed the same day and he received a letter to his new address confirming the change a few days later. :)

h3aDm4.png

ZfQlm4.png

ut7Km8.png

iqv4m8.png

K-1: NOA1 to Visa Approval - 8 MONTHS, 19 DAYS

AOS: NOA1 to Green Card Approval - 3 MONTHS, 16 DAYS

ROC:  - NOA1: January 16, 2018; Case Received at Local Office: January 5, 2019;...

Citizenship:  - In Progress Estimated Completion Time: July 2020 (18 Months)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I think I am going to recommend the same thing as Darnell :-)

As long as you are confident that she can continue to receive all mail at her parents' address, there is no compelling reason to change the address with USCIS. Once you have immigrated, you can then update USCIS with the new address.

However, if she put in a mail forwarding to USPS from her parent's address to her new address, this is likely to cause issues as the correspondence from USCIS tends to have "Do Not Forward" and could be returned to USCIS.

So she should cancel any mail forwarding with USCIS, if she can't, then you are going to need to figure out how to change your address with USCIS.

Hopefully, this is clear.

Timeline

Apologies... I'm not sure I understood half of what you said.

That's cool. Show it to yer lass, get her feedback, soonish . ..

When does the DS-160 come into play for the K-1?

When _you_ apply for the K-1 visa.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

My fiancé moved at the beginning of June and we updated his address via Case Status on the USCIS website. It was changed the same day and he received a letter to his new address confirming the change a few days later. :)

Was it changed for the maililng address, or the address he's living at? Or both? :)

Timeline

I think I am going to recommend the same thing as Darnell :-)

As long as you are confident that she can continue to receive all mail at her parents' address, there is no compelling reason to change the address with USCIS. Once you have immigrated, you can then update USCIS with the new address.

However, if she put in a mail forwarding to USPS from her parent's address to her new address, this is likely to cause issues as the correspondence from USCIS tends to have "Do Not Forward" and could be returned to USCIS.

So she should cancel any mail forwarding with USCIS, if she can't, then you are going to need to figure out how to change your address with USCIS.

Hopefully, this is clear.

Thanks! That was more than clear and appreciated :). She still has that all set up to still get mail at her parents' place which is in no way a problem as it's only an hour away and they see each other pretty often. She doesn't have mail forwarding, so it's good to know. I take it she'll be the one getting the NOA2 sent to her? Is it then after that I get the packets sent to me?

Was it changed for the maililng address, or the address he's living at? Or both? :)

I would assume both.

https://egov.uscis.gov/coa/displayCOAForm.do

That's the link to the address change. Hope that helps.

h3aDm4.png

ZfQlm4.png

ut7Km8.png

iqv4m8.png

K-1: NOA1 to Visa Approval - 8 MONTHS, 19 DAYS

AOS: NOA1 to Green Card Approval - 3 MONTHS, 16 DAYS

ROC:  - NOA1: January 16, 2018; Case Received at Local Office: January 5, 2019;...

Citizenship:  - In Progress Estimated Completion Time: July 2020 (18 Months)

Timeline

When _you_ apply for the K-1 visa.

I take it you're talking about when I have the interview and do all of those official things, or is that part of one of the packets? :)

Timeline

the interview is one of the last steps.

to get the interview, you must apply for the visa.

if you are on a PC, you can study the K-1 visa flowchart in the Guides section.

If'n yer not on a PC - HEY ! Get on a PC and STUDY. Pretty please, with bacon-imbued poutine gravy on it?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.