jv86

Spelling of Name

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Greetings,

Just a quick question I came across while filling out the DS 260 for my wife. My wife is Jordanian and her Jordanian passport spells her name in English in a different way than she has all her life. We've completed the visa related documents using the name as it appears in the passport but, if possible, she would like to have the green card (hopefully, in the near future) written in the way she's used to.

My question then is, will there be a point where she will be able to request an alternate spelling of her name prior being issued the green card or social security number. This question rose because I saw the one checkbox on the application asking if we want a social security card sent to an address. If we want a different spelling of a name, should we select no at this point or just go through the process with her name as is and then legally change it at some point in the future.

Thanks for the help as always.

8th June, 2015 - Filed I-130 with local USCIS office in country

17 June, 2015 - I-130 approved and sent to Embassy's consular section

1 July, 2015 - Instructions for completing IV application and case ID received

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Israel
Timeline

i got the same issue... :ranting:

✡♥✡

K-1 Visa (CSC) AOS (MSC)

26.1.2014 - Started dating ||||||||| 15.9.2015 - Applied for SSN

17.1.2015 - Met for the first time | 21.9.2015 - Received SSN

26.1.2015 - Got engaged ||| 16.10.2015 - Got Married

6.2.2015 - I-129F sent |||||||||| 11.11.2015 - AOS/EAD/AP sent

11.2.2015 - NOA1 |||||| 24.11.2015 - NOA1

26.2.2015 - NOA2 |||||| 2.12.2015 - Biometrics letter received

17.3.2015 - Case sent to Jerusalem consulate|||8.12.2015 - Biometrics

13.4.2015 - Packet 3 |||||||||| 11.12.2015 - Online RFE notice

28.6.2015 - Medical x

8.7.2015 - Interview - Approved! :luv: |||||||||||| x

31.7.2015 - Visa in hand ||||||| x

31.8.2015 - POE LAX x

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Greetings,

Just a quick question I came across while filling out the DS 260 for my wife. My wife is Jordanian and her Jordanian passport spells her name in English in a different way than she has all her life. We've completed the visa related documents using the name as it appears in the passport but, if possible, she would like to have the green card (hopefully, in the near future) written in the way she's used to.

My question then is, will there be a point where she will be able to request an alternate spelling of her name prior being issued the green card or social security number. This question rose because I saw the one checkbox on the application asking if we want a social security card sent to an address. If we want a different spelling of a name, should we select no at this point or just go through the process with her name as is and then legally change it at some point in the future.

Thanks for the help as always.

There will be no opportunity to request an alternate spelling of her name prior to the green card being printed. In order to have the spelling changed prior to the Removal of Conditions process, then an I-90 will have to be filed along with the applicable fee. Having it spelled to her preference during the ROC process may not be automatic, a legal document showing her name spelled to her preference may be necessary (you would likely need said document should you chose to go the I-90 route).

Social Security office will probably also want to see an identity document before they proceed to issue her a card with her number.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Timeline

Thanks, Ryan H,

You've been helpful providing information on a previous post of mine as well. Looks like we'll be keeping it the same for the sake of ease and looking into other options.

Thanks again.

8th June, 2015 - Filed I-130 with local USCIS office in country

17 June, 2015 - I-130 approved and sent to Embassy's consular section

1 July, 2015 - Instructions for completing IV application and case ID received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.