OneMoreTime

Can child actress get O-1 visa?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: FB-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My daughter (9 year old) has multiple entries on IMDB and has done some movies in Canada with famous people. Can she apply for O-1 visa? If so, what happens to the rest of our family?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

AN O1b needs a sponsoring employer. Does she have offers to work in the US ? The O1 allows for visas for spouse and children not parents or siblings. There is a provision to an employee that is critical to the performance which might get one parent a visa but not a whole family.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Of course she can apply.

Some may be eligible for an O2.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Of course she can apply.

Some may be eligible for an O2.

Yes, that what is confusing, I know she can apply, just wonder what happens to parents/siblings as she is a minor. We have the option of a TN visa for her, and we can go under Nafta as tourist, not ideal but workable for short term gigs. Thanks for the response, if anyone has similar experience please share.

Timeline

Similar experience may be pushing it.

Is this not something her management team would be dealing with.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

OneMoreTime - you sound like you are asking if your daughter can apply for an O visa on her own, as in without a lawyer or sponsoring employee or management team, is that correct?

Does your child have pending gigs in the US that she needs a visa for?

good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Timeline

Yes, that what is confusing, I know she can apply, just wonder what happens to parents/siblings as she is a minor. We have the option of a TN visa for her, and we can go under Nafta as tourist, not ideal but workable for short term gigs. Thanks for the response, if anyone has similar experience please share.

None of the work visas -- except a couple of the diplomatic or international governemntal agency (e.g., UN, World Bank, etc.) -- include parents in their definition of dependents that qualify for a derivative visa based on the principal applicant.

Who advised you she could get a TN visa? Acting is not one of the professions on the NAFTA list. Generally, a TN visa is for business activities at the professional level. The NAFTA agreement defines that as a profession that requires a bachelor's degree or appropriate credentials that document status in a profession listed in Appendix 1603.D.1 of NAFTA. That list does not include acting or any of the performing arts.

IMO, an O-1 is also likely a stretch for such a young actor. An O-1 requires documentation of "extraordinary ability" that shows sustained performance at a level where the individual is among the small percentage of people who have reached the very top of the field. Hard for someone of her age to show that. I am certainly not saying that she is not talented...just that she might not be at the level need for an O-1 at her age. If she is, then her manager/agent/production company will certainly be involved in the required documentation for her visa.

The best a parent could do is a visitor's visa for the duration of the project; a sibling would likely be out of luck -- especially if they are school aged (although an F1 for a student visa at a private school might be a possibility, depending on the timing of the project). And, it would be really important for the parent not to do anything for her professionally that could be construed as working in the US (e.g., be her agent or manager, negotiate her contract or working conditions, enforce the contract, etc.).

Good luck to you both!

Timeline

Thanks for all answers. I dig a little more and it seems that is the studio that issues the work permit for the duration of the gig, not sure under what category though. She is represented in Canada already, and we will get representation (manager/agent/pr) in US (LA of course), this is more common than most people realize as there's lots of Canadians working in US already (including kids), just thought that someone would have some info.

Thanks Jan22, for clarifying about TN, I though that applied to any profession as long as being Canadian, but now I understood it better.

We are only planning to follow this route in a couple of years when she is at least 11 years old, then will update this post to let others know how it was done.

Timeline

TN also applies to Mexicans.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Guatemala
Timeline

TN also applies to Mexicans.

LOL

2014-05-08 Sent I-129f
2014-05-12 I-129f received
2014-05-15 Received NOA1 email
2014-05-19 Received NOA1 hardcopy
2014-09-10 NOA2 Approved
2014-09-30 Package Left from NVC
2014-10-06 Received by Embassy
2014-10-31 Interview, Approved.
2014-11-03 Picked up visa.
2014-12-25 POE Ft. Lauderdale

2015-01-02 Wedding

---AOS---

2015-01-09 Filed I-485, I-131 and I-765

2015-01-12 AOS package received

2015-01-14 Email received: Case accepted and routed

2015-01-15 Check cashed

2015-01-20 Received NOAs in the mail

2015-02-07 Received Biometrics letter in the mail

2015-02-19 Biometrics Appt in Raleigh office.

2015-03-13 EAD and AP approved

2015-03-19 EAD and AP sent

2015-03-21 Received EAD/AP combo card

2015-03-26 Received 2nd Biometrics appointment for Charlotte office

2015-04-08 2nd Biometrics

2015-06-15 Received NPIW dated 06-11

2015-08-01 Green Card Approved

2015-08-03 Welcome Letter Mailed

2015-08-07 Welcome Letter Received

2015-08-22 Card Mailed

2015-08-26 Card Received

2015-11-20 Enlisted in the USMC

2016-02-16 Shipping date to bootcamp

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.