8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi everyone,

Hope all is well :-)

In March of 2016 my husband's Conditional Green Card expires, and so we have to take the next step in applying for the non-conditional green card. However, then in August of 2016 my husband is eligible to apply for naturalization and citizenship, as we will have been officially married for 3 years. Does anyone know if there's a way to skip the non conditional application green card, and get some sort of extension so that we can apply for his citizenship in august instead of going through two different immigration processes in one year?

On another note, Is the non conditional GC process a 6 month process as well? I'm starting to research the process now as we have attend a wedding in April/may of 2016 and I want to make sure his status is ok. Does anyone know how much time they give you before a GC expires to apply for non conditional GC or Naturalization?

Please let me know what your thoughts, experiences and recommendations are.

Thanks so much!

Saludos!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

No you must remove conditions before you can apply for citizenship ( well at least have your application filed, they may adjudicate the ROC after you file for citizenship )

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

3 years of GC not your marriage.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Timeline

Thanks everyone. I figured we wouldn't be able to skip it, but I was just being hopeful. haha.

What's the earliest he can apply for ROC before his current GC expires? I remember hearing 3 months, but I'm not sure if that's correct.

Thanks again!

Timeline

NVM Just found my answer!

It is very important to file the I-751 within the correct window of time, and be sure not to file it before the 90-day window. If you file it too early, they will send your application back. You may file at any time during the 90 day window, but it is prudent to file fairly early in the window.

That's why I love this site. :-)

So if we have to apply 90 days before around January 2016 and we're attending a wedding in Ecuador in May 2016. Do we also need to file the I-131? What are the options for traveling when you're doing a ROC?

Thanks-

Edited by RomaSkirsky

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Cameroon
Timeline

NVM Just found my answer!

It is very important to file the I-751 within the correct window of time, and be sure not to file it before the 90-day window. If you file it too early, they will send your application back. You may file at any time during the 90 day window, but it is prudent to file fairly early in the window.

That's why I love this site. :-)

So if we have to apply 90 days before around January 2016 and we're attending a wedding in Ecuador in May 2016. Do we also need to file the I-131? What are the options for traveling when you're doing a ROC?

Thanks-

Yes file within 90 days when ROC window opens. A notice of action will be sent to you shortly after that extending your greencard for 1 year pending adjudication. This notice can be used to travel internationally so you don't have to apply for any advance parole. You're still a permanent resident and that serves as evidence of status at that point. Alternatively you can also visit your local USCIS field office after an info pass and request a temporary I-551 stamp in your passport as well to use to travel. Some feel more comfortable traveling with the stamp. Just keep your visit brief under 6 months though as you well know. Edited by Starkilla09

Adjustment of Status From F-1 Visa.

8/14/2014: Mailed AOS package: I-130, I-485, I-765.

8/18/2014: Accepted in Chicago. Transferred to Nebraska Service Center.

8/21/2014: Received NOA 1. I-130, I-485, I-765 in mail.

8/25/2014: Received biometrics in mail. Scheduled for 9/8/2014

9/24/2014: EAD approved. 36 Days!

10/01/2014: EAD mailed.

10/03/2014: Received EAD card.

10/14/2014: I-485 moved to testing and interview.

1/28/2015: Interview scheduled for 3/4/2015.

1/31/2015: Received interview notice.

3/4/2015: Interview completed and APPROVED!

3/5/2015: Welcome notice mailed and I-130 Approved.

3/10/2015: Welcome notice and I-130 approval notice received.

3/12/2015: Green card mailed.

3/14/2015: Green card delivered.

Removal of Conditions: 

12/14/2016: Mailed I-751.

12/19/2016: NOA issued.

01/26/2017: Biometrics.

05/03/2018: I-751 transfered to NBC.

02/27/2019: Joint I-751/N-400 Interview.

05/14/2019: I-751 APPROVED.

Naturalization:

12/02/2017: Mailed N 400 to Phoenix, AZ Lockbox. (I-751 still pending)

12/05/2017: Package delivered in Phoenix, AZ. Transferred to Harrisonburg Processing Center.

12/07/2017: Notice of action issued. (IOE)

12/26/2017: Biometrics.

01/23/2019: Interview Scheduled for 2/27/2019.

02/27/2019: Joint I-751/N-400 interview. N-400 recommended for approval.

05/16/2019: N-400 APPROVED! Placed in line for oath ceremony.

05/17/2019: Oath ceremony notice mailed.

06/12/2019: Swearing in Ceremony! Finally a U.S. citizen!

Timeline

Yes file within 90 days when ROC window opens. A notice of action will be sent to you shortly after that extending your greencard for 1 year pending adjudication. This notice can be used to travel internationally so you don't have to apply for any advance parole. You're still a permanent resident and that serves as evidence of status at that point. Alternatively you can also visit your local USCIS field office after an info pass and request a temporary I-551 stamp in your passport as well to use to travel. Some feel more comfortable traveling with the stamp. Just keep your visit brief under 6 months though as you well know.

Wonderful news! Thank you so much for your help! :-) Best of luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.