renren20

Filing a fiancé visa while studying in the Philippines

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello,

I'm new here. I'm a U.S. veteran, I got out 2 years ago and started studying here in the Philippines. I've been here for 2 years and using my GI bill. I want to file a petition for my fiancé but I don't know if I need to go back in the US. I still don't have any savings but I have disability compensation of $1500 monthly and my school allowance for full time is $1500 ( I'm not sure if can use this as my income), but I also have credit cards that I have to settle and pay. We'll be living in my parents house once we get to US. Can I file fiancé visa while I'm still studying in the Philippines? Is my finances ok to petition her? Can I have a cosponsor for financial support? please help.. Thank you.

Hello,

I'm new here. I'm a U.S. veteran, I got out 2 years ago and started studying here in the Philippines. I've been here for 2 years and using my GI bill. I want to file a petition for my fiancé but I don't know if I need to go back in the US. I still don't have any savings but I have disability compensation of $1500 monthly and my school allowance for full time is $1500 ( I'm not sure if can use this as my income), but I also have credit cards that I have to settle and pay. We'll be living in my parents house once we get to US. Can I file fiancé visa while I'm still studying in the Philippines? Is my finances ok to petition her? Can I have a cosponsor for financial support? please help.. Thank you.

Hello!

According to this page on the travel.state.gov website:

"As a U.S. sponsor/petitioner, you must maintain your principal residence (also called domicile) in the United States, which is where you plan to live for the foreseeable future. Living in the United States is required for a U.S. sponsor to file the Affidavit of Support, with few exceptions. To learn more, review the Affidavit of Support (I-864 or I-864EZ) Instructions. "

If you can prove that you have a domicile in the U.S. and that you plan to live there you shouldn't have a problem. Not sure about the technicalities of maintaining a domicile in you particular case... Perhaps some of the visa wizards here could clarify about your specific situation.

I-612 Waiver of J1 Two Year Rule
12/31/2011 - Wife Entered U.S. on J-1 visa, Foreign Residence Requirement Applies
9/28/2013 - Married in the U.S.
7/23/2014 - NOA1 form I-612 for Waiver of the Foreign Residence Requirement (Basis: Extreme Hardship)
8/8/2014 - RFE Received
11/14/2014 - NOA2 I-612 Waiver Denied, Could not establish hardship
12/15/2014 - Sent another I-612 packet to U.S. Dept of state (Basis: No-Objection Statement)
12/15/2014 - Sent in application to Philippines Govt. for No-Objection Statement
1/14/2015 - No Objection Statement granted
4 months of waiting - The Philippines Govt. forgot about us!!!!
5/8/2015 - After multiple calls and emails the No Objection Statement was finally transmitted to DOS
6/4/2015 - I-612 Waiver APPROVED!

IR-1 Visa
6/3/2015 - Sent I-130 to Phoenix Locbox
6/4/2015 - NOA1
108 Days of waiting
9/22/2015 - NOA2
9/24/2015 - Case sent to NVC
10/1/2015 - Case received at NVC
10/14/2015 - Case number assigned
10/15/2015 - AOS Fee Paid online
10/19/2015 - CEAC AOS Fee status changed to "Paid" - AOS and IV packets sent to NVC
10/27/2015 - DS-261 was reviewed over the phone
10/29/2015 - DS-261 confirmed complete (over phone) and IV Bill Received - Paid online immediately "In Process"
10/30/2015 - Scan Date
11/2/2015 - IV Bill marked "Paid" and DS-260 completed

12/4/2015 - Case Complete (need to bring 1 corrected doc to Embassy)

1/6/15 - Medical Exam Complete

1/19/2015 - Interview Date

1/22/2015 - Visa Received (yellow envelope damaged)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Just file a DCF visa. You marry your girl in PHilippines and then do a walk in at US embassy in Manila.

It only takes a few weeks to get a visa for her, Don't waste your time on a K1 or other type of visas.

Here is info on DCF visa:

http://www.visajourney.com/content/dcf

You can not get married at the Embassy. Instead, you can have a church wedding or a civil ceremony in 'Pinas.

After you are married, you can file a Direct Consular Filing (DCF) at the U.S. Embassy Manila.

A DCF is quick and easy, and you will be able to use a co-sponsor. However, I believe that you'll still have to show proof of U.S. domicile, but that can be done too.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

But we are the same sex. I cannot marry her here.

Hi,

Your only choice is a K-1.

You can file in the PI.

You will need to show that you will reestablish a U.S. domicile before or when the K-1 enters the U.S.

Don't know if the U.S. Embassy in Manila allows co sponsors for the K-1. Someone else will answer this.

Best of luck

You can petition your fiancé for a K-1 visa and try to use a co-sponsor. A close family member would be a good choice for a co-sponsor. Maybe your parents would be willing to do it. In my opinion, if your parents are Pinoy, they would make even better co-sponsors.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Yes, I already asked my dad, he said yes to cosponsor my fiancé. But my sister told when she got her husband, they won't allow cosponsor if the fiancé is from the Philippines. I don't know where to submit my K1 visa also and what should be included in the package.

You can read up on the K-1 visa process by clicking on "Guides" at the top of the screen. There you will learn how to put together your I-129F packet and where to send it.

The U.S. Embassy Manila sometimes accepts co-sponsors for K-1 visa applicants. In my opinion, it helps if your folks are Pinoy.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.